Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vivreestesperer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2007, 1:54 am

Hiya all,

I have just created a website about Asperger's that took me about a week to make. I know basically nothing about making websites, and so googled "make your own free website" in order to find a site that would allow me to make a basic site free and walk me through it. Luckily, this one was pretty easy to figure out, all things considered.

Everyone always told me I should make an Asperger's website, but I didn't want to make a site that would replicate the same things that a hundred million other sites were already saying. If you want to know what Asperger's is, if you want a bullentin board or whatever, you don't need my site. However, I reconsidered making a website when I read my 40th book on autism and AS, and thought to myself, "I've read 40 books on autism and AS. I need to mark this somehow." And I had the idea of putting them on a website as a resource to others. At first, it was just going to be a book list and possibly some of my writing. But then, I got a call from someone interested in joining an Asperger's group I'm in saying that his son was having trouble accepting his Asperger's diagnosis and needed some support. I tried to think of the kind of website that I would have loved to find when I was scouring the web for AS resources two years ago, the kind of site that a newly diagnosed person can read and feel reassured by, or at least see images of him or herself in, which is to me the most important thing. The site doesn't have absolutely everything that I would love have on it, and I will be adding new things as I can, but I feel this is a very good beginning. It features an introduction, my book list, all of the writing I have done on AS, a Famous Aspies list, tips about college, links and information about support groups, and even some Aspie humor.

Please tell me what you think!! ! I want some feedback and some eyeballs on the site! Also, please feel free to sign the guestbook. :)

The address is www.freewebs.com/aspiefrommaine

Pass it on to anyone who you think may be interested! If you have a website feel free to link to it!

Some of the formatting is messed up and it wont let me fixed it.

Kate

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 3:41 am

No offence but this sounds allot on the lines of how a introverted website tells its story,

"Ever Wonder Why You're So Different?" (Your story is too long as to get to why you're so different.)

More I click down the links it sounds more like a biography about you, & really its better to write from you than reading books, and other people to gather as much information as you can about people and their lifes. Than books and articles

& Bill Gates has not got As ....

/*
// Did you ask her permission for this? as it say's ( about me / contact ) me that's illegal if your not Kate Goldfield...

Kate Goldfield is a 22 year old psychology major from Standish, Maine. She attended Goucher College in Baltimore, Maryland. Kate has written articles about her AS that have appeared in the Baltimore Sun, Hartford Courant, and The Autism Perspective magazine. She has spoken at two national autism conferences about her experiences.
*/

Sure it would of only took you 1 - 2 days if you did know about website design ;)...

Hmm I see your writing in 3rd person lol hate it when people do that...

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2007, 5:04 am

Kate,

I like it!

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 7:10 am

that's a really nice site :)

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2007, 7:56 am

logitechdog wrote:
& Bill Gates has not got As ....

How do you know?

Stop talking trash

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 8:07 am

Unlike most I sent a letter off to bill gates and got one back...

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 8:52 am

Congratulations,Kate
I remember reading last year about your Baltimore Sun article and
found it interesting.I'm sure people will find the site helpful
Good luck

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2007, 8:55 am

Once again, Kate, great first effort at a website. Very readable and something that really gives our POV. A good companion piece is the survival-guide website a young man in England (who died a few years ago) made. Of course I wish I had understanding parents and had been diagnosed and treated when I was your age.

logitechdog, thanks for the word from Bill Gates himself. AFAIK the only big celebrities diagnosed with it are Dan Aykroyd and Steven Spielberg - still not too shabby, an inspiration. I've been to Stockton-on-Tees and Norton; had a good friend from there. Had a good time.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 10:13 am

I really liked this. I liked the way it focused on the positives of AS as a way of counteracting those bits that we all find difficult about it. It just goes to show that there are people with it who are able to put a positive spin to it. This is how I feel about my AS. For example, despite the fact that I can be inappropriate socially at times or find it harder to make friends naturally, at least I'm loyal and genuine and the friendships that I do make are worthwhile. I did like the message this site was giving out about accepting your AS.

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2007, 2:32 pm

Way to go, Kate! It's a great website!!

Finlay
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2007, 10:08 am

Excellent work :). Being only recently diagnosed, I found it quite helpful.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 2:14 am

just read your Baltimore article, congrats on the website!

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2007, 2:44 am

Fiz wrote:
I really liked this. I liked the way it focused on the positives of AS as a way of counteracting those bits that we all find difficult about it. It just goes to show that there are people with it who are able to put a positive spin to it. This is how I feel about my AS. For example, despite the fact that I can be inappropriate socially at times or find it harder to make friends naturally, at least I'm loyal and genuine and the friendships that I do make are worthwhile. I did like the message this site was giving out about accepting your AS.

I'm the same way. I liked it too Kate.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2007, 2:52 am

I don't see it as derogatory but I can see where it widens the gap. Professionals use it, it's all over organised Autism websites and in books written by NT's about Autism. I see it as more just a way of distinguishing between the two. If I was an NT I don't think it would bother me to be referred to as that and just be glad it's that rather than "AS" or Aspie.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2007, 2:53 am

Oh dear...I clicked on the wrong thread....lolol..

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 4:42 am

Congratulations, it looks good.