How come people with Aspergers can't work ?

Page 1 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:49 pm

cavendish wrote:
Todd, who has a high
school equivalency degree and a Ph.D. from an unaccredited online
school, began law school in 1992 when she was 39 and later dropped out.
She filed for bankruptcy in 2009 at age 63.

Hmm... something doesn't add up here. Either that or Todd invented a time machine.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:51 pm

Undiagnosed, but...it took me months to find a job, and this was before the economy got bad. My interviews were horribly awkward--I'd come home and shut down afterwards. My AS traits almost got me fired a couple years ago because I wasn't communicative enough, and I was seen as being disengaged/disinterested.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2012, 5:54 pm

Kurgan wrote:
A lot of people with AS can work, but because of limited eye-contact, lack of experience, low confidence and a small social circle, very few are willing to give them a chance.

we tend to not interview well. I was pondering Temple Grandin's statements about using her portfolio to sell the work instead of herself, when I realized that my last IT position was gained by my having an overwhelming number of certifications. They have since lapsed, but re-doing them should encourage someone to take a chance on me again.

It would indeed be far easier if NT's would be more understanding.

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2012, 5:57 pm

One of the main reasons why many Aspies can't get work, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet (at least not directly)....

Many jobs are gained via networking i.e. who you know more than what you know. Networking is difficult for Aspies, who by definition have weak social skills.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:58 pm

Atomsk wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Todd, who has a high
school equivalency degree and a Ph.D. from an unaccredited online
school, began law school in 1992 when she was 39 and later dropped out.
She filed for bankruptcy in 2009 at age 63.

Hmm... something doesn't add up here. Either that or Todd invented a time machine.

Or the person is poor with math.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:01 pm

I probably could work with the right adjustments. Currently on a programme designed to get me back into work, which isn't working. They don't understand my disabilities, refuse to make required adjustments and really don't understand me.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:06 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The math is off. How was she 39 in 1992 and 63 in 2009? She be 56, not 63.

What a coincidence. You beat me to it. I was going to ask about this to. More than likely it is a typo.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2012, 6:06 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I have AS and can certainly work. I have many times in the past. I don't right now because years ago my husband and I decided that I would stay home with our four kids. I'm a housewife. Now that the youngest is 15 and there is no need for me to be at home, we have moved to a small town in the middle of nowhere with no jobs at all. Oh well.

Last I checked, being a housewife involved a great deal of work :-)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:09 pm

My sensory issues are a major problem for working, so it R good that I work mostly from home.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:09 pm

I work part time. I would go full time but my husband doesn't think I would be able to handle it because we have a kid now and he has bad feet so they keep him up and he also has to be in bed and get up early for work and he can't just go to bed and leave our son alone in his crib. He refuses to do that and he can't sleep with him crying. Plus we can't afford childcare and we be making too much to qualify for childcare assistance.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:15 pm

Some people with AS can work, some can't. Personally, I don't know if I'll ever be able to work in a job setting. For me its primarily a question of sensory issues. I have severe sensory issues that cause migraines, and we're trying to find a job environment I can work in but not being very hopeful.

However, people say if they could find the right environment for me they think I could work 20 hours a week.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2012, 6:18 pm

A lawyer convinced a judge that a person shouldn't be held liable.

Happens all the time. Does that mean it's "true", or does it just mean a lawyer won a case.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:22 pm

bnky wrote:
A lawyer convinced a judge that a person shouldn't be held liable.

Happens all the time. Does that mean it's "true", or does it just mean a lawyer won a case.

It means its legally true. It also sets a precedent since it happened in a country that uses the English common law system, meaning that unless its overturned on an appeal, future decisions must be consistent with the precedent.

It's never just a lawyer winning a case when it's something new, in a common law legal system.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:47 pm

I would like to find a job again. :cry:

I, and I believe others here, are very competent in the technical aspect, but not in the "people" aspect. Plus I will never dazzle anyone during an interview process, as a career coach stated that many HR people want to happen.

This may be be specific to my field of engineering and other professional jobs: Another item is that i stayed in the technical aspect, my best area, instead of advancing into management, which many companies expect you to do in your career. They don't understand that management requires a whole different set of skills (that many with ASD don't have). So that is also holding me back as they won't consider me for a lower-level position that does not involve management, though I keep sending resumes for those.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 7:23 pm

They really have implanted that As word into you.

Here look at me I can say this “I am just a person. With feelings”.

“I am not shy & I am not introvert & I am not NT & I am Not controlled by anyone but myself.”

But in the end I am a Shy Guy, but that is because I really am & nothing anyone will say will change that until they understand. I am in control of my self.

I find it funny that one woman actually told me don't? At a Autism place. After I said the words “Your talking about a shy girl”. They turned her away.

I don't have a job. I suck at small talk, but I prefer more in depth. We are all getting along are we not. Do I have to give any more hints.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 7:34 pm

Usually, because executive function issues and sensory problems prevent some of them from thriving in the extrovert-driven American job market.

I'd like to know why Americans are so obsessed about being able to "work." Having a job or not doesn't make you more or less of a worthwhile human.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)