Do you have poor penmanship/handwriting?

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you have poor penmanship/handwriting?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 93 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 118

elf_1half
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

My hand writing is fine now, actually I think it's pretty neat, but I had difficulties with it throughout all of elementary school and most of middle school that caused me a lot of grief. Having awful teachers didn't help, I actually ended up switching schools in 5th grade because the teacher would make me stay in for lunch time detention on a near daily basis to rewrite my homework and classwork because it was so sloppy. As if I was writing sloppy deliberately and punishing me would make it better :? Needless to say writing the work over and over didn't make me any neater, just made my arm tired so I ended up writing sloppier.

Moonpenny
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2012, 3:00 pm

KateGladstone wrote:
As far as I can discover: among the very few Aspies who attain a competent handwriting, at least 98% of the ones I have met have done it by chancing on (or by having been originally taught) the Italic form of handwriting, which escapes such woes of illogic and poor design. I am — as far as I can find — the only Aspie who became a handwriting instructor/remediator, and Italic is what I recommend & teach

It's fascinating to hear that, since I hit on an italic style myself. I can't do the loopy thing at all, and write most fluently in an up-and-down motion. I found your web site really interesting, too.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 4:30 pm

My hand writing is pretty atrocious. I print if someone else needs to read it. Even I have trouble reading my cursive script. It also took a very long time for me to learn to write. Apparently my parents wondered if I would ever master it.

PurpleHaze
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

I got in trouble a lot in school for this. My handwriting was only nice if I took (too) long to write anything. If I want good penmanship, I have to cramp my own hand to do it!

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 4:52 pm

My handwriting is beyond appalling, I can't even read it, it looks like the output of an ECG. At a push I can fill in a form neatly or hand write a short note, but I then tend to make daft mistakes. I remember at school, each new book was a new chance, my writing always returned to form after the first page. I was referred to the special needs unit in school for my handwriting, I think they just gave up with me in the end though.

I type everything now, on the plus side 75-80 WPM typing speed :)

Jason.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 5:55 pm

Although it has gotten legible in recent years, my penmanship was very poor during my childhood. Today, my writing is very male-like with very few bubbly or rounded letters. I`ve never had the best fine-motor skills.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

drgoodietwoshoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2012, 7:00 pm

Yep, mine is horrendous. I'm embarrassed to write thank-you notes or invitations. I'm a girl, and, according to stereotypes, I should be able to write neat pretty (or cute or beautiful) cursive. Mine isn't quite chicken scratch, 'cause it is softer than that. . .but I'm pretty sure by the time my 4-year old learns to read her handwriting will best mine. . .

EQ=16/SQ=94 Extremely Systemizing
AQ=38 (2012) 40 (2013)

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

Interesting, someone ( co-worker) recently pointed out I actually write some numbers backwards from usual. Also, I was long ago told to cross my sevens so people would know that is what they actually were.
I do seem to have some perceptual difficulties, I usually cannot follow elaborate diagrams, etc. either.

Sincerely,
Matthew

RLgnome
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

Mine was horrible, and is still not great. I learned to read and write on my own, from following the text when my mother read for me, years before entering school. When my teachers tried to make me write less ugly, I asked them why they were picking on my handwriting, when my classmates couldn't even spell correctly... They gave up on me after a while. These days I usually write capitalized unless it is a longer text, which is very rare, as I'd normally be typing on a keyboard instead.

NotEquius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2012, 9:05 pm

Mine is bad and has never improved since elementary school. It ranges from below average to pure unreadable chicken scratch depending on circumstances. Despite receiving extra tutoring outside of class (often during recess) I never successfully learned cursive. I type everything now.

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm

I wanted nice handwriting so I ditched my cursive back in my late 'teens and developed a couple other ways of writing. Now I mostly use manuscript handwriting (I think it's called; what you learned before cursive) and for anything I want to look nice, I use all caps and just make the first letter a little bigger when capitalizing. It's slow as hell, but people remark that my handwriting is nice now. I voted "No," but my original handwriting was atrocious and I could never hold the pen correctly, according to the teacher. But screw all of them, since that's how I held my paintbrush and pencils for ART, which I used to be awesome at.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:12 am

nerdfiles wrote:
Terrible penmanship and handwriting; excellent still life skill.

I can only write well if I focus on the words I'm writing instead of the ideas I am expressing.

I can also draw very well but do not have good ( it's attrocious ) handwriting.

A bit frustrating.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 8:01 am

I have decent handwriting.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm

I do okay now, but when I was a kid, I couldn't do it. And to make it worse, my maiden name was Palmer and we were learning the "Palmer Method". :oops: And my signature--I don't even try. I just think my name and move my hand. It could say anything.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:43 pm

My handwriting sucks sometimes even I cannot read it.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

12 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

nerdfiles wrote:
I can only write well if I focus on the words I'm writing instead of the ideas I am expressing.

Couldn't agree more. I write well now but it's too much about the look unless I'm focusing on an intense idea I want to get down exactly the way i think it - then I have bad handwriting because I'm focusing on the idea instead of the handwriting.