Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 12:36 am

I've always been uncomfortable hearing my name being said, it's almost a dissociative thing for me. I have a somewhat uncommon last name but my first and middle names are pretty average. I remember adamantly wanting to be called by my middle name and my parents just stomped all over that one. I've never been allowed to go by it. Even in classes where someone else had the same first name the teacher always started calling them by THEIR middle names. Totally unfair.

Anyway to this day I get creeped out when I meet someone with my name, I have even more anxiety at the thought that I'll have to call that name out to them. But with bands and other PKAs I've used the same first name with a different last name, mainly to avoid any SSI entanglement. But what's even stranger is I have a brother who has a homonymous name he shares with a pretty big actor

oxjox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2012, 1:18 am

Yeah, I've never felt comfortable in my name, either. I have several aliases that I made for myself (though I still give my real name IRL), and am considering a name change in the future.

I'm not sure exactly why though... Maybe because I didn't get to choose? Names are kind of a special interest of mine though.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:21 am

I don't like my name at all but I don't know what I'd change it to. It's one that is not shared by many people where I live, but I often find it jarring when someone I don't know well calls my name.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2012, 2:46 am

Interesting to hear that someone else has this issue. I thought I was a bit nutty for this one... I have always felt a "shock" feeling when I hear my name. Meet someone with my name? I simply won't use it.

Hate to admit it but... glad I am not alone in this one...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 3:03 am

My real name is as unusual as can be. I'm a man. In the US my first name is mainly considered as a woman's so I preferred my more masculine middle name for years. My last name is a made up Chinese name. My father had this weird idea to combine two different Chinese last names together. In essence, my last name is so unique there must be only 4 or 5 people in the world with it.

As I got older I got used to my real name so I use it now. To heck with it. It defines me. The name will probably die out anyway because I don't have kids and my brothers changed their last name to other "normal" names. Such is life.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 3:28 am

For me, it's contextual. I have to wear a name tag for the job I work so some people feel they can call me by my real name. The thing is, unless I know you, I do not feel comfortable with you doing so. Sometimes convenience store clerks do this and it usually makes me switch stores and never go in there again (I actually switched to a less convenient gas station for this very reason.). However, I expect friends, co-workers and family to all know my name and use it. Maybe it's just that I don't like being noticed in most situations and prefer to blend into the crowd. It's odd but I usually feel more comfortable in a somewhat crowded store where there are enough people that I am just another faceless person in the crowd than somewhere that is empty and I can be potentially noticed and greeted.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 3:35 am

I never had problems with this, because only one person(she's my best friend) shares the same first name with me. I know it's not uncommon in the English speaking world but it is pretty rare here in Taiwan. Weird, though, that I got myself ANOTHER name....a Turkish one.
Edit: both are present in my username.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 3:44 am

My first name is rather typical; my last name, less so, but it is compound and somewhat long. I don't have a problem if people call me by my real name. What should I be called by otherwise?

hockeytaz
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2012, 3:46 am

Wow, I thought I was the only one who hated their name! I don't even like seeing it written. Not that it's a bad name or anything, I just hate the way it sounds. I always wanted to be a Jennifer or a Tiffany or something else. I've considered eventually going by my middle name, but I don't like that much either.

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jun 2012, 4:03 am

I don't necessarily hate my name it just feels odd to associate myself to a word. And when people say it or I read it I feel really odd like it takes a second to comprehend they are talking about me

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 4:21 am

I like my real name but I prefer to go by Beth. I am used to it. As a kid my real name was popular so there were some other girls with the same name as me in my school. I even had a friend with Down's syndrome and she also had the same name as me except she didn't have nay nicknames. I have had different nick names over the years and the one I hated was Bethy Wethy. My mother was hesitant to call me Betsy because she was worried I would get teased for it because of the Betsy Wetsy doll.

I have been teased for m initials too in 4th grade that one time because it was ET. But thank goodness I used BT. For some reason I hated getting made fun of for my initials but I am sure now they weren't trying to be mean. They were just trying to be funny and I took it too personal.

In my freshman year of high school, there was a girl in my driver's ed and she had the same name as me except it was spelled with an A instead of with an E. I was never fond of unique spellings of names. But what was annoying was when we give back each othrs assignments after we get though correcting them, I was always handed back her's instead of mine because they couldn't tell between Alizabeth and Beth. :roll:

I have also had moments where I couldn't tell if someone was talking to me or to the other Elizabeth. Sometimes I do get called by my real name by people. Mom used to call me by it when she be mad.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 4:30 am

I love how no one here is actually saying their first name, funny.

Mine is Andrew. While not uncommon, I never really cared for it. No one ever called me "Drew," so that doesn't seem natural to go by. And "Andy" always sounded silly, too. I often go by my last name.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 4:48 am

again_with_this wrote:

Mine is Andrew. While not uncommon, I never really cared for it. No one ever called me "Drew," so that doesn't seem natural to go by. And "Andy" always sounded silly, too. I often go by my last name.

Uh I said my first name.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 4:52 am

Come to think of it no one calls me Daniel or very rarely. I guess I'd be weirded out if I heard Daniel or I'd think they were mad at me.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 4:58 am

League_Girl wrote:
again_with_this wrote:

Uh I said my first name.

Sorry Betsy.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:00 am

I don't mind being called by my name. However, I really don't like nicknames.