Page 21 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

truthbetold7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2012, 5:19 am

questor wrote:
I cannot for the life of me, understand why, whenever some nut job goes on a killing rampage, everyone, including many people here, immediately start saying he may be on the Autism spectrum. It does not automatically follow that a mass murderer is on the spectrum. It does a disservice, and an insult to us on the spectrum to automatically say all killers are on the spectrum.

From what I can tell by the news articles, the only thing that is clear to me is that James Holmes is psychotic in some way, not on the spectrum. Psychos do sometimes take to being loners, and do sometimes totally freak out after real or perceived setbacks in their lives. This does not mean they are on the spectrum. It does mean that they are having some kind of problems, but the Autism spectrum disorders are only one set of problems that can lead to acting out, and usually don't lead to mass murder. There are a number of other, more likely conditions that can lead to such violent behavior. Please stop lumping us with him until you have some REAL evidence to back it up!

James showed NO signs of psychosis prior to being medicated - he was medicated for ANXIETY, once those facts are acknowledged it is fairly easy to arrive at an accurate diagnosis. People who have autism have an increased permeability of the blood brain barrier - this means that psychotropic drugs have a much more potent effect, often leading to a sudden withdrawal from the medications which in turn results in much more severe withdrawal symptoms/discontinuation syndrome. James appears to suffer from higher functioning autism, this was misdiagnosed as an anxiety disorder, he was medicated, the medications led to a manic reaction that made James believe he must be suffering from dysphoric mania (which is a condition that massively worsens upon being medicated!) So - it is logical to assume that if James believed himself to have dysphoric mania he will have stopped taking the medications abrutly. The sudden withdrawal would have caused all the ensuing behaviours/mania. James is not schizophrenic - he has suffered a severe reaction to the medications - no psychiatrist worth their salt can make a diagnosis that ignores the part the medications have played in this tragedy

truthbetold7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2012, 5:32 am

Considering that his mother was a psychiatric nurse, it's not likely that an autism spectrum disorder would have gone undetected during Holmes youth. It is pretty obvious that he is a delusional individual, by any reasonable observation, regardless of what potential diagnosis may eventually be attached to those delusions.

It's not impossible that someone like him presenting the behavior he is currently presenting would have an autism spectrum disorder, as the ICD10 acknowledges that Aspergers is associated with psychotic breaks from reality in young adulthood, in some cases.

Regarding the comment about a psychiatric nurse being likely to diagnose autism - my brother spent TEN years medicated on anti-psychotics for a breakdown. The breakdown was brought on by withdrawal from EFFEXOR which he had been prescribed for anxiety/depression. When my brother withdrew from SSRI anti-psychotics he suffered all the same symptoms as James Holmes - even down to the 'wide eyed stare' and in addition he suffered seizures. The withdrawal symptoms lasted for almost two months. Once he was recovered he was diagnosed with higher functioning autism. In TEN YEARS the psychiatrists had failed to diagnose this condition despite my pleas for him to be tested as my youngest daughter had recently been diagnosed and upon educating myself about the condition I had realised that my brother had displayed obvious signs of autism since childhood! I have since discovered that those with autism have increased permeability of the blood brain barrier - meaning that psychotropic medications have a much more potent effect/toxicity and they suffer much more severe withdrawal symptoms, including psychosis, seizures etc!

truthbetold7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2012, 5:43 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well that's a relief its not the people with aspergers you have to look out for, its those schizophrenics :roll:

I guess I am confused as to why everyone here gets all worked up about the possibility the guy had AS...because oh no people might think people with aspergers are all potential murderers. But if it gets shifted over to schizophrenia it's all good? I don't know that just seems to be the attitude I see.......'as long as he had schizophrenia and not AS then it's all good because people wont think badly of people with AS, they'll just think badly of people with schizophrenia.' Hopefully that is not how most here feel about it, and I am just getting the wrong impression.

Point being blaming it on any specific disorder is probably a bad idea.......if he does have a disorder then yes it could have been a factor, but its not like most people with schizophrenia are murderers anymore than most people with AS would be.

You are right - neither of these conditions are likely to cause the kind of aggression James displayed, THAT level of aggression is brought on by MEDICATIONS - people with autism have increased permeability of the blood brain barrier - leading to increased reactions to medication and symptoms of medication withdrawal. All the evidence points to James suffering HIGHER FUNCTIONING AUTISM (often misdiagnosed as an anxiety disorder because these people CAN make friends which flies in the face of the TYPICAL STEREOTYPE of an aspie/autism sufferer). James was medicated - a significant change in cognitive function occurs with the medication leading James to believe he has dysphoric mania (a condition worsened by medication) prompting James to withdraw suddenly from the meds which in turn causes severe discontinuation syndrome that can include ALL James behaviours. I have witnessed discontinuation syndrome in someone with autism and the case was almost identical except he also suffered seizures. The symptoms lasted almost two months.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2012, 9:11 am

truthbetold7 wrote:
You are right - neither of these conditions are likely to cause the kind of aggression James displayed, THAT level of aggression is brought on by MEDICATIONS - people with autism have increased permeability of the blood brain barrier - leading to increased reactions to medication and symptoms of medication withdrawal. All the evidence points to James suffering HIGHER FUNCTIONING AUTISM (often misdiagnosed as an anxiety disorder because these people CAN make friends which flies in the face of the TYPICAL STEREOTYPE of an aspie/autism sufferer). James was medicated - a significant change in cognitive function occurs with the medication leading James to believe he has dysphoric mania (a condition worsened by medication) prompting James to withdraw suddenly from the meds which in turn causes severe discontinuation syndrome that can include ALL James behaviours. I have witnessed discontinuation syndrome in someone with autism and the case was almost identical except he also suffered seizures. The symptoms lasted almost two months.

I'm assuming you are basing your theory on assumptions and personal experience? Or do you know for certain that James was being medicated for Anxiety?
I must say, I suspect that one factor could have been, that he was being medicated for something, stopped taking his medications and then something happened....it's very vague but you can't be that specific.

Do you have some more reasons for why you believe he was being medicated, medicated for depression or anxiety, and could have HFA?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 9:18 am

I think just as many NT's suffer drug injury. its very common.
But Jimmy had been planning a shooting for a while.... it wasnt just a bad day for him, but a premeditated months ahead crime
The Batman movie premier coincided with his final breakdown from medication drug injury, so that day became the moment, but the moment [was always?] coming for him, he planned the event
His profile pictures also make him look like a recreational drug user. So his mental state may also have been affected by weed or meth or coke....

http://ssristories.com/