Page 16 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:12 pm

Verdandi wrote:
aghogday wrote:
And as I stated in the last post, there is no evidence that Holmes harmed anyone as an adolescent or areas of concern that would indicate that he was at risk for that type of behavior at that point in his life, which has been reported by experts, in criminal profiling, already linked in this thread.

Note that such evidence is not required, but simply indicative. Ted Bundy didn't have an apparent history of that type of behavior either.

I wasn't suggesting this was evidence as to whether or not he was a sociopath, as other have stated that in the media, I was just pointing to the fact that he was not evidenced an adolescent engaged in behaviors that were harmful.

And, the last bit of information appears incredibly sad, as it appears he was reaching out for help for his condition, whatever it was, and was not able to find an effective solution for support, before it was too late, not only for him, but for many others. Still not likely we will hear a diagnosis for some time to come, but the signs are becoming fairly clear.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:26 pm

I was just wondering if he did have AS, what are the percentages of AS cases that might have a co-morbid of schizophrenia. It seems like I have read threads here before where there might be a connection between the two. I am not implying that all with AS have schizophrenia, I am just wondering if there is a connection. I still feel like from the descriptions of Holmes when he was younger, he fit the description of AS.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

Apart from the delusions and/or hallucinations, Schizophrenia is hard to distinguish from AS (after all, the term "autism" actually comes from Schizophrenia, and Hans and Leo took said term because that's what it was describing in their papers).

Obviously, age of onset is the easiest way to differentiate them when there's an absence of hallucinations and/or delusions, as is the lack of nonverbal cues in AS.

The interesting thing is that he was seeing someone; seems like that's showing insight into his deterioration.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

angelbear wrote:
I was just wondering if he did have AS, what are the percentages of AS cases that might have a co-morbid of schizophrenia. It seems like I have read threads here before where there might be a connection between the two. I am not implying that all with AS have schizophrenia, I am just wondering if there is a connection. I still feel like from the descriptions of Holmes when he was younger, he fit the description of AS.

Maybe this is of interest for you. It's from a study about comorbidity and AS:
Quote:
19.44% of ASD patients had epilepsy as compared to 2.19% in the overall hospital population, 2.43% of ASD with schizophrenia vs. 0.24% in the hospital population ,...

link
And you may want to read this article.
Quote:
The differential diagnosis between these disorders and the comorbid diagnoses of the two conditions is often a bit of a quagmire for clinicians. Our program is frequently asked to rule out ASD, schizotypal personality disorder and/or schizophreniform disorder, and first-episode schizophrenia in youths and young adults. We see children with ASD who have emerging psychotic symptoms. In these children, the hallucinations or delusional preoccupations may initially be attributed to the developmental disorder. Conversely, we also see adolescents or young adults with schizophrenia who have a developmental history consistent with ASD (typically higher functioning) and who continue to have comorbid ASD. Yet some have not previously received a diagnosis of ASD.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:59 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I'm speaking of a report involving Asperger's and criminal behavior. All of the examples given confessed to their crimes (often immediately).

he told the cops about his bomb rigged apartment....

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

angelbear wrote:

Technically the diagnostic criteria in the DSMIV rule out a diagnosis of AS if schizophrenia is present. There is little to no potential that one diagnosing professional would diagnosis him with both conditions, because of the restrictions in the criteria.

There are definitely similarities between schizophrenia and Autism Spectrum disorders, as misdiagnosis is common, but technically they aren't diagnosed co-morbid, per the DSMIV. As stated earlier, the ICD10 includes psychosis as a potential in young adults with Aspergers, and there are genetic markers determined similar in association.

Two different diagnosing professionals can come up with two different analyses as has been reported in some of the rampage killings, and per anecodotal reports of individuals on this website.

Fitting the description of AS can be much different than being diagnosed, as one must be determined significantly impaired in a major area of life functioning. It's not likely that Holmes had traits of AS that were serious enough to meet that standard as an adolescent considering his mother was a psychiatric nurse. The schizophrenia often provides no clue during adolescence showing up later in young adulthood. But in others difficulties are reported similar to conditions like AS, in adolescence in examples like the Unabomer. But never the less, he was able to function at the level of gaining a PHD, and moving on to Assistant Professor, before falling off the map. The broader autism phenotype stretches far out into the population, much broader than diagnosed cases.

And as mentioned earlier by dillogic the negative expression of schizophrenia, has parallels with AS as well.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

Thank you---I am just curious about this, so your knowledge is very helpful. I guess we will see how all of this plays out. I for one do not believe James Holmes should receive the death penalty. I am wondering if it will go to trial since his lawyers are saying that the media leaked the notebook and that it is risking his right to a fair trial.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 5:51 pm

angelbear wrote:
Thank you---I am just curious about this, so your knowledge is very helpful. I guess we will see how all of this plays out. I for one do not believe James Holmes should receive the death penalty. I am wondering if it will go to trial since his lawyers are saying that the media leaked the notebook and that it is risking his right to a fair trial.

I don't think that will have a direct bearing on whether or not it goes to trial.

I think the only way it won't go to trial is if he determined not mentally competent to stand trial. That seems to be a real potential, at this point.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty, period, as the court process is not without error, in determining guilt or innocence.

Interestingly, the state that executes the most people, also is the state that opposes health care reform the most vigorously and supports succession from the rest of the states.

The death penalty and modern civilization in my opinion are opposing ends of a spectrum of modern humanity.

The last place empathy lies is those with mental illness; it comes through loud and clear when a circumstance likes this happens, and not too unusual since most of the population cannot relate from personal experience, particularly if the diagnosis is schizophrenia, since only .07% of the population is estimated to be affected by the organic based mental disorder.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2012, 6:01 pm

Just saw on NBC that he was apparently under the care of a psychiatrist in the months before the shooting, and that she specializes in schiophrenia...

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:21 pm

N0tYetDeadFred writes:

Quote:
Just saw on NBC that he was apparently under the care of a psychiatrist in the months before the shooting, and that she specializes in schiophrenia...

http://nbclatino.com/2012/07/27/latino- ... r-shooter/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/27/us/colora ... index.html

Hopeful her expertize extended to other areas of DSM disorders as well....

TheSunAlsoRises

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

Schizophrenia can come into play if the reason for the murders was due to delusions and/or hallucinations, i.e., the aforementioned alien reptilian hybrids masquerading as humans that are planning on destroying the human race or he had voices coercing him to do it or else some greater tragedy will befall whomever (or similar levels of detachment from reality). Insanity is a valid defense there.

Kinda really sucks for the person who did it if that's the case (sucks just as much or more for the victims, of course).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jul 2012, 10:02 pm

aghogday wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
aghogday wrote:
And as I stated in the last post, there is no evidence that Holmes harmed anyone as an adolescent or areas of concern that would indicate that he was at risk for that type of behavior at that point in his life, which has been reported by experts, in criminal profiling, already linked in this thread.

Note that such evidence is not required, but simply indicative. Ted Bundy didn't have an apparent history of that type of behavior either.

I wasn't suggesting this was evidence as to whether or not he was a sociopath, as other have stated that in the media, I was just pointing to the fact that he was not evidenced an adolescent engaged in behaviors that were harmful.

And, the last bit of information appears incredibly sad, as it appears he was reaching out for help for his condition, whatever it was, and was not able to find an effective solution for support, before it was too late, not only for him, but for many others. Still not likely we will hear a diagnosis for some time to come, but the signs are becoming fairly clear.

I was elaborating on your point - I didn't mean I was contradicting because you didn't say either way.

I'll also add that starting in high school Bundy did have a history of theft escalating to burglary before he started killing.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm

Verdandi wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
aghogday wrote:

I was elaborating on your point - I didn't mean I was contradicting because you didn't say either way.

I'll also add that starting in high school Bundy did have a history of theft escalating to burglary before he started killing.

No problem, thanks for the clarification.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 7:42 am

I like this blog post and the discussion below:
link

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

Not sure about that blog myself.....

Had James Holmes just begun to take medication??

My GP suggested I start Fluoxetine. I wiki'd it and told the her 'no'. Here is some of what wikipedia says about the fluoxetine (prosac)

Akathisia, that is inner tension, restlessness, and the inability to stay still, often accompanied by "constant pacing, purposeless movements of the feet and legs, and marked anxiety", is a common side effect of fluoxetine
There are case reports directly linking akathisia with suicidal attempts, with patients feeling better after the withdrawal of fluoxetine, and again developing severe akathisia on repeated exposure to fluoxetine. These patients described "that the development of the akathisia made them feel suicidal and that it had precipitated their prior suicide attempts"
The work which eventually led to the discovery of fluoxetine began at Eli Lilly and Company in 1970 as a collaboration between Bryan Molloy and Robert Rathbun.[citation needed] It was known at that time that the antihistamine diphenhydramine shows some antidepressant-like properties. 3-Phenoxy-3-phenylpropylamine, a compound structurally similar to diphenhydramine, was taken as a starting point, and Molloy synthesized dozens of its derivatives. Testing the physiological effects of these compounds in mice resulted in nisoxetine, a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor currently widely used in biochemical experiments.[68][69]
Fluoxetine appeared on the Belgian market in 1986.[71] After over a decade, the FDA gave its final approval in December 1987,[72] and a month later Eli Lilly began marketing Prozac; annual sales in the U.S. reached $350 million within a year.[70]
In 1989, Joseph Wesbecker shot and killed eight people and injured 12 others before killing himself at his place of work in Kentucky. Wesbecker had been taking fluoxetine for four weeks before these homicides, and this led to a legal action against Eli Lilly.[73] The case was tried and settled in 1994, and as part of the settlement a number of pharmaceutical company documents about drug-induced activation were released into the public domain. Subsequent legal cases have further raised the possibility of a link between antidepressant use and violence.[74] The Prozac Survivors Support Group created a report on 288 individuals who had suffered adverse effects from Fluoxetine during 1991 and 1992. It showed that most of the cases led to violence against self or other individuals. There were 164 cases in the suicide and suicide ideation category, including 34 complete suicides. There were also 133 cases of crime and violence, which featured 14 murders, nine attempted murders, 39 violent actions, 54 violent preoccupations and 17 crimes. The report also showed that 13 individuals had become addicted to Fluoxetine and 14 cases of alcoholism forming or worsening.[75] However, Mayo Clinic psychiat
rist Daniel K. Hall-Flavin is of the opinion that people cannot get addicted to antidepressants, stating "Addiction represents harmful, long-term chemical changes in the brain. It's characterized by intense cravings and the inability to control your use of a substance."

from http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/03/ ... -violence/

Q. Is it possible Prozac may trigger violent and irrational reactions? Last year my son, who had been put on Prozac by his psychiatrist, had what I would call a gigantic temper tantrum. He destroyed his computer, his car and set himself on fire, burning himself over 90 percent of his body. Most of those were third degree burns. He rushed into the bathroom and put out the fire with a shower, which probably saved his life.

He had never expressed suicidal tendencies before this episode, and has fought to live throughout his treatment for burns.

How often do people on Prozac attempt suicide? I think families should be warned about this complication more effectively. I am concerned that ads don't emphasize this adequately.

A. The issue of violent, self destructive behavior associated with Prozac (fluoxetine) remains controversial. Many health care professionals point out that people who are depressed sometimes consider suicide.

There have, however, been way too many reports of violent acts linked to fluoxetine and other antidepressants. Ads do list suicidal ideation along with other potential adverse events including agitation, confusion and emotional lability (extreme mood swings). "Violent behaviors" are also noted.

Most people have a very hard time imagining that someone might commit violet acts because of taking a drug. To read more about this highly controversial subject take a moment to read our column, "Drugs That Trigger Violence Behavior" and "Do Drugs Drive People to Violent Behavior?"

The stop-smoking drug Chantix has also been linked to such problems. We have heard from a number of people that when Chantix is combined with alcohol it can have some unexpected and unsavory effects.

Those taking antidepressants should contact their doctor immediately if they begin to feel suicidal or have violent urges. Family members should be especially vigilant during the early going on such drugs or when the dose is readjusted.

Anyone who would like to learn more about these issues can download for free our guide to Psychological Side Effects. If you would like to learn more about a variety of ways to deal with the blues, we recommend our guide to Dealing With Depression. There are many non-drug approaches in this booklet.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

from http://www.oralchelation.net/ProzacSideEffects.htm

Prozac Side Effects = Violence And Depression

Prozac is the antidepressant made by Eli Lilly. It is the most profitable drug in history. The side effects of Prozac include that it makes people violent. Many of the most sensational killing sprees have been committed by drug-crazed people who were made that way by Prozac. Click here for a page with many links to material about Prozac. You can even read about how Lilly knew that Prozac would cause the side effect of violence, but hid that truth.

Withdrawal from Prozac is harder than withdrawing from heroin! The withdrawal symptoms include trembling and tendencies to either suicide or violence to others.

Here is what Eli Lilly admits to in its official explanation of Prozac side effects:

Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors--There have been reports of serious, sometimes fatal, reactions (including hyperthermia, rigidity, myoclonus, with possible rapid fluctuations of vital signs, and mental status changes that include extreme agitation progressing to delirium and coma) in patients receiving fluoxetine in combination with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), and in patients who have recently discontinued fluoxetine and are then started on an MAOI. Some cases presented with features resembling neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Therefore, Prozac should not be used in combination with an MAOI, or within a minimum of 14 days of discontinuing therapy with an MAOI. Since fluoxetine and its major metabolite have very long elimination half-lives, at least 5 weeks (perhaps longer, especially if fluoxetine has been prescribed chronically and/or at higher doses (See Accumulation and Slow Elimination Under ACTIONS/CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY)) should be allowed after stopping Prozac before starting an MAOI.

Prozac side effects include murder! Prozac withdrawal symptoms include a desire to commit violence. Eli Lilly Prozac is soon to be replaced the same drug with a different name. Prozac antidepressant winds up CAUSING depression.

The initial effect of Prozac seems to be more calm. But, this is the symptom of becoming more like a vegetable. After a period of time on this antidepressant, the Prozac side effects are much more prominent that the intended main effect. This is the point where it is virtually impossible to withdraw from use of the drug, and the point where the person is more and more willing to commit violence, including murder, on others.

Eli Lilly is one of the most evil drug companies on the planet. They knew, many years ago, about the side effects of Prozac. They deliberately hid the truth for the sole purpose of making billions of dollars of profit on this harmful drug.

Those who ARE on this drug should go back to the doctor who prescribed it, and demand to be taken off. If that doctor refuses, that is the time to sue him for malpractice. It is possible to get off Prozac without dreadful withdrawal symptoms -- but doctors never will tell you about the method.

Avoid Prozac at all costs! If you are on it, demand help from your doctor to get off. He is the criminal that needs to be charged!