Page 1 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2012, 1:32 pm

Hello everyone!

I know this might be a sensitive issue, but I just read that James Holmes was suspected to have Aspergers. Actually, I googled whether anyone has suspected that yet, because I thought he kind of looked like he might be on the spectrum. (Yes, there is no proof that one can "see" Aspergers in the face, but wel,l there are some similarities especially regarding the eyes in many of us, aren't they?)

Interesting enough, the description of him sounds suspicious. Brilliant mind, excellent grades in college, a loner, disconnected from society, not able to find a job despite his intellectual achievements, fascinated by comic book superheros, utter lack of empathy...

There are dangerous NTs and there are dangerous Aspies I guess. What do you think? Could Holmes be an Aspie and if so, do you think his actions will hurt the community?

Little black sheep

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 1:37 pm

Who? Is that that murderer at the cinema?

I did think he had that look about him, the aspie look. He seemed very obsessed with the boobie traps and the weapons and all the different stuff he had. I was actually thinking about this yesterday.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2012, 1:39 pm

I think it's far too soon to jump to that conclusion.
Diagnosis takes a cadre of professionals.

Personally, I think it's impossible to tell from his eyes, at the moment. He looks like he's doped to the gills on Thorazine(tm) when I look at him on the tube.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

I think that's a load of sh*t but what do you expect with the media? And utter lack of empathy is not a trait of aspergers.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 1:49 pm

What exactly is this "Aspie look"? :?

Really don't understand why if someone kills someone, the media assume they has Aspergers or a mental illness. People with mental illness are more likely to hurt themselves than others.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2012, 1:51 pm

You got to be kidding. One guy does something horribly wicked and might have AS, so let's worry because we Aspies will get the blame?

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

Because NT's never want to admit that a "normal" person could do something like that.

There has to be something wrong with the guy so they can all be "normal."

Saying he has Asperger's means that he is automatically one of the broken people without feelings.

We may, in all probability, be glad to see Asperger's disappear into the Autism diagnosis next year, if this nonsense continues.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

little_black_sheep wrote:
Interesting enough, the description of him sounds suspicious. Brilliant mind, excellent grades in college, a loner, disconnected from society, not able to find a job despite his intellectual achievements, fascinated by comic book superheros, utter lack of empathy...

I don't know if he had a brilliant mind, according to this report. he was a "mediocre student".
And was he really a loner? Some neighbour said he had women and men coming and visiting him which must not mean anything but looks like he did know how to make or keep contacts.
I think this article here makes intresting observations like " The fact he’s not just able to present his work on stage (and laugh appropriately at the Slurpee joke) but also make eye contact with the audience shows he’s at least fairly oriented in the social world at this point. " about the summer camp video.
Also...utter lack of empathy? That's aspergers?

And there's actually a youtube video someone made questioning whether this guy had AS.

I don't think and I don't know if that's the case. There are still no statements, letters, evidences...etc. that would point to the cause of all this.

Last edited by Mayel on 23 Jul 2012, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
What exactly is this "Aspie look"? :?

Really don't understand why if someone kills someone, the media assume they has Aspergers or a mental illness. People with mental illness are more likely to hurt themselves than others.

I think people are afraid to admit that normal humans are capable of terrible things, because then that means anyone is capable. If they can pin it on mental illness then normal people can go about their lives knowing 'normal people don't do things like that.' which is a BS illusion. They could do a scientific study, but that would be unethical obviously.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2012, 1:56 pm

Bunnynose wrote:
You got to be kidding. One guy does something horribly wicked and might have AS, so let's worry because we Aspies will get the blame?

Well, it's not like you can really be surprised that a message board full of introverts would cogitate on this.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

I think he may have AS. He may also have some other mental disorder. If the media really starts spreading the idea that he has AS, I don't think it'll really effect any of us.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2012, 2:09 pm

kraven wrote:
Bunnynose wrote:

Well, it's not like you can really be surprised that a message board full of introverts would cogitate on this.

Me! Me! Me!

Funny, ain't it?, how introverts like that word soooo much. lol

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

Bunnynose wrote:
kraven wrote:
Bunnynose wrote:

Me! Me! Me!

Funny, ain't it?, how introverts like that word soooo much. lol

If by funny you mean expected, then yeah. :)

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

Apparently it has already made its way into the public discourse:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/autistic-jou ... -shooting/

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 2:33 pm

I'm not sure if he does or not. If I was in front of him in person, I might be able to better tell. I've been able to tell if someone has autism/AS just by spending a few minutes with them.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

him having Aspergers and doing what he did, has just as little to do with what his favorite food is.

You dont go about killing people because you love Fastfood, Watches X show. Or are aspergers.

And you dont go around killing people because you're a loner who lives life alone either, even thought the news always blows this up big LONER KILLS PEOPLE IN THEATER!. HE WAS MUCH ALONE. so what?.

Its the same crap every single time some crazy psychopath kills someone.