Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2012, 12:39 am

Well, I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's today. It was recommended that I find a sort of peer 'life coach' to meet with and talk to in order to help with communication skills.

Sure, I'm isolated and am generally lacking important fulfillment because of it, but I feel ashamed/a little defensive about this notion because I'm a highly successful, straight-A 20 year-old college student perfectly capable of taking care of myself. It's really humbling and almost feels belittling to think that I need to hire someone to be my friend, and I'm really afraid that this person might see me as some kind of basket case or not take me very seriously. :?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:42 am

I too hate admitting when I need help.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:44 am

Funnily enough, that's one of the reason i'm loathe to join a real-life support group. I know it wouldn't be like this, but I feel as though people would feel I'm in need of "help" when that's not the case. I was going to make a thread asking people for their experiences with the matter.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:55 am

Well if you see no benefit, why go through with it?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:02 am

My husband has to step in to help me. My mom told me this past Spring I needed to see a counselor and get on some medicine and my husband agreed it's what I need. I even tried living without Social security and managed to get a full time job without voc rehab.

To me always needing help means I am weak and impaired. But sometimes it comes back to punish me for trying to be strong and trying to make it on my own and be like everyone else.

I also sometimes forget my own limitations so when I signed for for a fun class to take, I didn't bother asking for an aid because I figured I do fine on my own but the second time in class, I flipped out and had a meltdown because the teachers couldn't give me the help I needed because they had other students in class who also needed help and I needed lot of their attention.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.