Asperger's misdiagnosed as Schizoaffective Bipolar type.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 5:49 am

So sorry to hear that. What a waste of those years and all because of professional ignorance. Glad that you have
true self-knowledge now, and welcome to WP.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 8:50 am

I stopped trusting "experts" when at age 10, my pediatrician wrote on my medical records that I was a "class clown who refuses to take direction". As a nearly mute teacher's pet, I still am scratching my head how a 40 year veteran of pediatric medicine could make such an insane statement. My teacher's seemed much more accurate and it's almost comical how they all said the same thing "very smart but needs to PAY ATTENTION". I'm sure if the label existed, it would be obvious they would have used the terms ADHD and Aspergers. I know I do have mood swings but I can confidently say they are NOT the result of Bipolar I or II.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 3:05 pm

I lost a lot of confidence in the medical experts when one at the emergency room diagnosed the pneumonia I presented with as being "just tired" despite a sky high temperature, laboured painful breathing and coughing up blood.... it's a very scary experience to be so vulnerable and in the "care" of fools. (The man was later forced to make an apology in person to me by the consultant who was his boss, but because of his incompetence, I nearly died). It certainly was a wake-up call about trusting experts... as my son defines them as "has-beens with a spurt at the end".. There's the occasional good one but it's pretty hit and miss finding that one with great pattern detection skills which accurate diagnosis so much depends on.

If they can miss something so frankly obvious as that, as a physical matter, how often might they get more obscure stuff wrong? I think everyday everywhere people on the spectrum are probably being mislabelled and it makes me so sad, such wasted time and opportunity.