Supermarkets and changing where items are-not good?!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 12:07 am

My stepdaughter took me grocery shopping yesterday morning . The coffee section had been rearranged somewhat. This prompted my stepdaughter , to say with a Sainsbury's worker within earshot ,"Don't they realise some people find it hard to cope with change" .

Certainly when I used to go shopping in Essex items being moved threw me . Luckily my stepdaughter guides me round the aisles with the shopping list I give her now I'm living near her in Wiltshire .

Does anyone else find the way supermarkets periodically change where items are stressful ?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 12:33 am

i useta consider it a royal pain in the tuchas, but now as an officially old phart, i welcome the mental stimulation it provides, as it keeps my ol' noodle on its toes. otherwise it would be too easy for me to just sink into a mental rut.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 4:51 am

It is distressing. Fortunately my big grocery store has not changed things much. The two smaller ones like to make dramatic changes every few months.

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2020, 5:46 am

I tend to buy the same things, and get used to where they are, but when a few items I buy are moved I don't think I have a big problem with it. It's more irritating than a cause of any autism related problem.

My local supermarket was recently totally refurbished. In the early stages they moved a few things around, which was OK. But the last time I went in, the inside was totally different, and I got so lost I walked out without buying anything. I later realised that it wasn't just the totally different layout, which is really no different to going into a supermarket in a place I've never visited before. I could have taken my time, and found my way round. I think the real problem was the new very bright white LED lighting, which I don't think I've seen as intense before. Bright white LEDs are appearing everywhere, and the combination of brightness and whiteness seems to affect me. The street lights in my village have recently been changed to them, although fortunately there are only a few lights, and the front of modern road vehicles are afflicted too, to the point where I wonder if I'll be able to drive at night having to face them constantly.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 6:09 am

It's a little annoying, but rare enough that it doesn't cause me any major trouble.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2020, 1:09 pm

I once went home with two tins of cat food instead of baked beans because of that.

It was awful. I don't know how cats can eat it.

On the other hand the lemonade in a glass bottle called Smirnoff was rather interesting. I might get that again.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 1:16 pm

If I get stressed I just go home and come back later.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 1:17 pm

harry12345 wrote:
I once went home with two tins of cat food instead of baked beans because of that.

It was awful. I don't know how cats can eat it.

On the other hand the lemonade in a glass bottle called Smirnoff was rather interesting. I might get that again.

LOOOOOOOOLZ........sounds like a opportunity, can i shop there too..
written tongue in cheek

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 1:26 pm

Gosh really really dislike that moving and replacing items , find something good , read ingrediants , i know what its going to do inside me.. And poof some other garabage brand appears with some chemicals in it that am aware are not particularily healthy. Literally have asked the manager several times ...NOW WHERE DID YOU HIDE THE DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR THIS TIME..and so on and so on . Same question to him, approx once a month for over a year. 13% of the time average store clerk has no idea of the inventory . If the store is not Conveinent , why do i shop there? AAARGH..!
and yes i do understand marketing stategies.

where ever you go ,there you are

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 1:31 pm

Yup: have caught myself handflapping, grinding my teeth and jerkily stalking on tiptoes from that before now... most recently when my local Morrison was totally refitted: not only did they move the goods around, they ripped out all the aisles and replaced them with new ones running at 90 degrees to the former alignment! :o
Still find myself looking for cordial where the cat litter now is :lol:

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2020, 3:20 pm

If I'm in a shop I'm not familiar with, I'll try to start in one corner and walk up and down all the aisles, going up one side checking out the shelves, then turn round at the end and back down the other side. I tend not to miss things that way. If I'm familiar with the layout, my route takes me to the places I want to go, but I can revert to the other method if things have changed.

When I get to the checkout, I try to put everything on the belt in the order I want to pack it, and mostly in groups of similar items, with the heavy and strong items first, followed by increasingly lighter ones. To me, as a bloke from a family of engineers, that's logic rather than autism, but maybe others wouldn't see it that way :D .

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 3:38 pm

JohnInWales wrote:
When I get to the checkout, I try to put everything on the belt in the order I want to pack it, and mostly in groups of similar items, with the heavy and strong items first, followed by increasingly lighter ones. .

Snap! :lol:
Although I do make exceptions for easily crushed and bruised fresh items and super fragile stuff like eggs and glass bottles always in the middle of the bag where their cushioned from knocks on the walk home: because why wouldn’t you?
Almost always use the customer operated tills now though.

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2020, 3:57 pm

Karamazov wrote:
JohnInWales wrote:
When I get to the checkout, I try to put everything on the belt in the order I want to pack it, and mostly in groups of similar items, with the heavy and strong items first, followed by increasingly lighter ones. .

Snap! :lol:
Although I do make exceptions for easily crushed and bruised fresh items and super fragile stuff like eggs and glass bottles always in the middle of the bag where their cushioned from knocks on the walk home: because why wouldn’t you?
Almost always use the customer operated tills now though.

Walking home isn't a practical option for me, as it's two miles along a narrow main road with no pavements. I've done it, once, but never again! So I just have to walk to the car park with loaded bags, although I could also use the bus. I've now got into a routine of driving to Aldi once a week, and I wheel the trolley out to my van, and load everything into a box, in a logical order, with the frozen stuff in a cool box.

I haven't used any of those customer operated tills yet. We still have human ones in rural Wales! I wouldn't use them if I had the choice though. Although I suppose it avoids those annoying people on the checkouts who put things through in the order they want, rather than my carefully thought out order :lol: .

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm

Yep, I’m definitely lucky to live 10 mins from supermarket!
(That said I’m not going to carry back three four pint milk bottles, potatoes and two flour bags again :lol: )

Not a driver so I just arrange around bus timetables for too far, and my wife gets the properly heavy stuff in the car.

And that disordering of items at the till did used to get to me too: I’d still be only half packed with the clerk and que watching me :roll:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 5:52 pm

The first time I walked into one of those mega shopping grocery stores Wegmans in the NE, I was so overwhelmed I had to walk back out without buying anything. It used to be just a friendly grocery store.

I hate it when stuff is moved around. Or, when they have items in more than one place in the store. While there is a big display of various kinds of wraps in the bread section, turns out the specific kind my husband wanted was in the deli section.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 10:34 pm

I know they do it so that customers might become tempted to buy other products then they usually do. But frankly I can do without it. One of the supermarkets I buy groceries only seem to be doing it when doing a complete renovation of the store. And then I at least can deal with it somewhat better. The other one, however likes to make changes to where they put different items regularly. And that just leads me to get a bit stressed and getting distracted from the things I rather think about, then where they put the things I want to buy now.