Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Have you seen any of these fortunes before?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Yes 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
I never pay attention to those things! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
I never pay attention to those things! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 10:37 am

Here are some ACTUAL quotes/fortunes from the chatroom here:

Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #19: Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people? A: All my autopsies have been performed on dead people.

Top scientists agree that with the present rate of consumption, the earth's supply of gravity will be exhausted before the 24th century. As man struggles to discover cheaper alternatives, we need your help. Please... CONSERVE GRAVITY Follow these simple suggestions: (1) Walk with a light step. Carry helium balloons if possible. (2) Use tape, magnets, or glue instead of paperweights. (3) Give up skiing and skydiving for more horizontal sports like curling. (4) Avoid showers .. take baths instead. (5) Don't hang all your clothes in the closet ... Keep them in one big pile. (6) Stop flipping pancakes

better !pout !cry better watchout lpr why santa claus town cat /etc/passwd >list ncheck list ncheck list cat list | grep naughty >nogiftlist cat list | grep nice >giftlist santa claus town who | grep sleeping who | grep awake who | egrep 'bad|good' for (goodness sake) { be good }

Mophobia, n.: Fear of being verbally abused by a Mississippian.

One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least somebody's listening. -- Franklin P. Jones

The hieroglyphics are all unreadable except for a notation on the back, which reads "Genuine authentic Egyptian papyrus. Guaranteed to be at least 5000 years old."

Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing. -- Dave Barry

"You've got to have a gimmick if your band sucks." -- Gary Giddens

Glib's Fourth Law of Unreliability: Investment in reliability will increase until it exceeds the probable cost of errors, or until someone insists on getting some useful work done.

Human cardiac catheterization was introduced by Werner Forssman in 1929. Ignoring his department chief, and tying his assistant to an operating table to prevent his interference, he placed a uretheral catheter into a vein in his arm, advanced it to the right atrium [of his heart], and walked upstairs to the x-ray department where he took the confirmatory x-ray film. In 1956, Dr. Forssman was awarded the Nobel Prize.

There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish. -- Walt Disney

7:30, Channel 5: The Bionic Dog (Action/Adventure) The Bionic Dog drinks too much and kicks over the National Redwood Forest.

 Gifts for Men -- Men are amused by almost any idiot thing -- that is why professional ice hockey is so popular -- so buying gifts for them is easy. But you should never buy them clothes. Men believe they already have all the clothes they will ever need, and new ones make them nervous. For example, your average man has 84 ties, but he wears, at most, only three of them. He has learned, through humiliating trial and error, that if he wears any of the other 81 ties, his wife will probably laugh at him ("You're not going to wear THAT tie with that suit, are you?"). So he has narrowed it down to three safe ties, and has gone several years without being laughed at. If you give him a new tie, he will pretend to like it, but deep inside he will hate you. If you want to give a man something practical, consider tires. More than once, I would have gladly traded all the gifts I got for a new set of tires. -- Dave Barry, "Christmas Shopping: A Survivor's Guide"

To the best of my recollection, Senator, I can't recall.

Every improvement in communication makes the bore more terrible. -- Frank Moore Colby

"There's nothing in the middle of the road but a yellow stripe and dead armadillos." -- Jim Hightower, Texas Agricultural Commissioner

Never eat more than you can lift. -- Miss Piggy

"Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion about to a kernel bug report.)

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

One promising concept that I came up with right away was that you could manufacture personal air bags, then get a law passed requiring that they be installed on congressmen to keep them from taking trips. Let's say your congressman was trying to travel to Paris to do a fact-finding study on how the French government handles diseases transmitted by sherbet. Just when he got to the plane, his mandatory air bag, strapped around his waist, would inflate -- FWWAAAAAAPPPP -- thus rendering him too large to fit through the plane door. It could also be rigged to inflate whenever the congressman proposed a law. ("Mr. Speaker, people ask me, why should October be designated as Cuticle Inspection Month? And I answer that FWWAAAAAAPPPP.") This would save millions of dollars, so I have no doubt that the public would violently support a law requiring airbags on congressmen. The problem is that your potential market is very small: there are only around 500 members of Congress, and some of them, such as House Speaker "Tip" O'Neil, are already too large to fit on normal aircraft. -- Dave Barry, "'Mister Mediocre' Restaurants"

Hoare's Law of Large Problems: Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.

Microsoft Corp., concerned by the growing popularity of the free 32-bit operating system for Intel systems, Linux, has employed a number of top programmers from the underground world of virus development. Bill Gates stated yesterday: "World domination, fast -- it's either us or Linus". Mr. Torvalds was unavailable for comment ... ([email protected] (Robert Manners), in comp.os.linux.setup)

Hi there! This is just a note from me, to you, to tell you, the person reading this note, that I can't think up any more famous quotes, jokes, nor bizarre stories, so you may as well go home.
More coming soon!

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Jul 2004, 10:52 am

Quote:
etter !pout !cry better watchout lpr why santa claus town cat /etc/passwd >list ncheck list ncheck list cat list | grep naughty >nogiftlist cat list | grep nice >giftlist santa claus town who | grep sleeping who | grep awake who | egrep 'bad|good' for (goodness sake) { be good }

I like this one.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 7:12 pm

alex wrote:
Quote:
etter !pout !cry better watchout lpr why santa claus town cat /etc/passwd >list ncheck list ncheck list cat list | grep naughty >nogiftlist cat list | grep nice >giftlist santa claus town who | grep sleeping who | grep awake who | egrep 'bad|good' for (goodness sake) { be good }

I like this one.

I was wondering about the same one. Is it supposed to be "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" in some computer programming language? If so, which one?

tetragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2004, 7:51 pm

Mich wrote:
alex wrote:
Quote:

I like this one.

I was wondering about the same one. Is it supposed to be "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" in some computer programming language? If so, which one?

It's mostly *nix commands with some sh pipes, redirects, and conditionals thrown in. The newlines from the fortune file appear to be omitted in this rendition of it, though. It does make more sense with the newlines.