Asperger's, hypersensitivity, and storms

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 3:58 pm

I have spasticity-related osteoarthritis in my knees and ankles. It really only acts up when the weather changes suddenly, and the first sign isn't pain, but the worsening of my subconscious favoring of my left leg, resulting in a limp.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

If you can figure out what type of pain it is you can have more specific medication for the pain.

For example, I get migraines from this sort of situation, and while OTC painmeds won't do a thing meaningful for them, migraine specific medications do.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

Believe me- you're not alone! I get terrible joint/body aches when it rains. It was horrible yesterday, bad enough that I almost left work early. I was better today, but still not up to par, so I stayed home from work. My ankles were the absolute worst. Felt like I had 100-lb weights on them. :x

Nash: Is there a difference?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm

Last few days I've been functioning about as well as I do during an active major depressive episode. My motivation's been gone, I can't organize, can't think straight. It takes me the whole day to finish the most basic things.

I don't know what it is about this particular storm, but it's worse than it has been in some time. I checked the weather site today, and apparently there's this hurricane frankenstorm thing just to the east of us. Maybe that's why. Or maybe it's just that I haven't had any proper sunshine in a week now.

Pleh. If I don't get my motivation back in another week, I'm going to have to make another appointment with my shrink. I hope not though. I've just gotten to the point where she lets me come in only once every two months. If I have to come in more often again, I'll feel like I'm never going to be able to properly manage my particular brand of crazy.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm

Claradoon wrote:
Is there a gizmo I could buy to help regulate electricity in the air?
Yes--a humidifier or a dehumidifier. Change the moisture content of the air, and you change how well it can conduct electricity. I don't know whether you like dry or humid air better, though in winter you generally want to make the air more humid because it helps prevent sinus problems that come from breathing dry air.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 11:44 pm

Callista wrote:
I don't know what it is about this particular storm, but it's worse than it has been in some time. I checked the weather site today, and apparently there's this hurricane frankenstorm thing just to the east of us. Maybe that's why. Or maybe it's just that I haven't had any proper sunshine in a week now.

This storm is big enough that there were flooding warnings in Chicago and power outages in Michigan. Usually storms aren't big enough to effect people in the midwest but this one was.

If it was the storm it should be better soon. The storm is dying quickly and turning back towards the east again.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:32 am

Claradoon wrote:

I have an "air ionizer" that puts a charge into the air (i think a negative charge). It's been so long that I'm not sure, but I think that's the correct term for it.

Supposedly, negative ions in the air have beneficial health effects but I use it because it makes small particles in the air, like pollen or animal dander, clump together and be attracted to a plate on the device. I've watched particles of dust in a shaft of sunlight and they do go shooting toward the plate when they get close.

AFAICT it's just a low-power high-voltage generator -- so, I wouldn't pay too much (very simple circuity) if you go to buy one.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2012, 6:42 am

Callista wrote:

I think it being 700 miles across sort of put it up and over as far as storms go. I'm taking it that the extremity of the storm has allowed me to learn things that I took for granted with smaller storms. This is the first time I consider a storm as something to plan for, head-wise.

I have a long-term project of discovering physical things that can regulate ... um ... the other stuff. For example, I feel better without milk. That sort of thing. So the Frankenstorm may well have become the nucleus of my personal research. Heaven knows science isn't going to step up and provide answers, although they will of course say that they knew that all along, just never thought of phrasing it in lay language.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2012, 6:58 am

Callista wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Yes--a humidifier or a dehumidifier. Change the moisture content of the air, and you change how well it can conduct electricity. I don't know whether you like dry or humid air better, though in winter you generally want to make the air more humid because it helps prevent sinus problems that come from breathing dry air.

I have a humidifier which does ionize but I'm drenched in sweat - oh, excuse me, I'm ever so dewy - it doesn't seem right to turn on a humidifier. Although my throat is very dry. So of course the answer to all my problems is coffee, right? :roll:

Ionizing is something I've been trying to get into my life for a few years now, and it does help a lot. I've got an air purifier/ionizer in the bedroom and living room and bathroom (instead of fan). But I don't seem to be able to get enough of it. The one in the living room is Oreck - any comments? These things do wonders for my allergies.

Also I have Himalayan salt lamps - *very* good! I buy them here (no, I'm not connected with them) -
http://www.natural-salt-lamps.com/saltlamps.html

I started with the candle, with lasts about 2 hours, and all of a sudden I could breathe. So I bought the lamps that plug in 24/7 - one of the best things I ever did. There's no magic about candle vs plug-in lamp - it's just to heat the stone, which then gives off beneficial somethings.

As you can see my research can be somewhat vague - but I know what works for me!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2012, 7:01 am

More about ionizing - the best I ever found was to sit by one of those huge fountains in the summertime. I have tried (and tried and tried) to get little fountains for my apartment but they're hard to find and they conk out fast. But for the time that they do work, I can tell the difference.

Does anybody know where I can get a fountain for my apartment?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2012, 7:03 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

I have an "air ionizer" that puts a charge into the air (i think a negative charge). It's been so long that I'm not sure, but I think that's the correct term for it.

Supposedly, negative ions in the air have beneficial health effects but I use it because it makes small particles in the air, like pollen or animal dander, clump together and be attracted to a plate on the device. I've watched particles of dust in a shaft of sunlight and they do go shooting toward the plate when they get close.

AFAICT it's just a low-power high-voltage generator -- so, I wouldn't pay too much (very simple circuity) if you go to buy one.

Could you tell me the brand name of your "air ionizer"? I think this might be a gauche question on my part but honestly, I gotta get help. Thank you!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 2:43 pm

Claradoon wrote:
Could you tell me the brand name of your "air ionizer"? I think this might be a gauche question on my part but honestly, I gotta get help. Thank you!

No problem, it says "Environmental® Air Purification System" on the top so I guess the brand name is "Environmental." It's pretty old (like maybe 10 years), though, so I don't know if the company is still around.