What do you think about the name "NVLD"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 7:12 am

I strongly dislike the name "nonverbal learning disorder". I "hate" it.

I think that it is a type of a pervasive developmental disorder, which has other etiology than "classic" autism. I think that it is "soft" autism and the current name ("N(V)LD") is bad, misleading, inadequate and leads to underestimation of the severity of the disorder.

NVLD is not a learning disability in the traditional sense, but rather a life learning disability. It should be considered in terms of a pervasive developmental disability (assumes a severe, chronic disability that is present before the individual reaches the age of 21), rather than a learning disability. It causes substantial functional limitation in areas such as self-care, receptive and expressive language, learning, selfdirection and mobility, as well as the capacity for independent living and economic selfsufficiency.

Pamela B. Tanguay Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at School, 2002

http://www.pacer.org/help/symposium/201 ... Mahlke.pdf

I have AS diagnosis, but think that I would not receive the diagnosis of PDD or ASD in North America. My symptoms fits better to "NLD" profile than to "classic" Asperger's. I think that NLDers are a subgroup of "Aspies". Not all of them have to present serious impairment of nonverbal communication, lack of social reciprocity, "obsessive" interests or activities.

I named "NVLD"-like phenomenon as "hyperlogia" ("oververbality") ("hyperlogic ASD/PDD") due to the tendency to normal speech development (unlike in classic ASD), early acquisition of reading abilities, having good verbal abilities and talents rather in "verbal" than "technical" area. Most of people with it are probably verbal thinkers. They also appear to have milder sensory issues, wider interests (but still they may be "obsessive", impractical, "weird" and stereotyped, repetitive to some degree). They tend to be less literal and rigid in thinking, have better theory of mind than people with "typical" ASD. But they are rather still strongly dyssemic, socially inept and tend to have marked emotional anomalies, even in childhood.

Hyperlogia is one of the forms of something which I named aucorigia (or "acoria" - shortening) phenomenon (from "autocontrast" (asynchronous development, atypical development) and "originality" ("bizarrity", "weirdness", "specific character" of the symptoms which make a person "odd" and "weird"). Other form of it is high-functioning "classic" ASD, but there should be also other aucorigic phenomena. Aucorigia has beginning in (usually early) childhood and is destructive mainly in social, emotional and behavioral areas.

Not all (probably even most) of people who have aucorigia do not qualify for AS/PDD/ASD diagnosis. I think that many people with "hyperlogic aucorigia" and other types of aucorigia are misdiagnosed with NLD, neurotic disorders, mood disorders, ADHD, personality disorders. Milder forms of aucorigia may be subclinical cases of ASD, milder types of "hyperlogic" disorders or disorders similar to "non-aucorigic" disorders such as personality disorders or ADHD. Severer aucorigia should rather easily met criteria of one of the PDDs in ICD-10 or DSM-IV.

I have really good ability to learning in school. Learning in school may be a pleasure for me, it may be like "pleasant routine". Handwriting (I have it quite good) is often pleasant for me and can be a form of (also nonfunctional) "routine". I like maps, was rather good in Maths. I do not like to read fiction literature to much. It does not look so "NVLDish", but I am rather a verbal thinker.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:25 pm

I find this:

NLD is not Asperger?s Syndrome. Yes, I have social difficulties, but I can read social cues and pick up on facial expressions, etc. I actually do very well in social situations?I?m just shy and introverted. I may have trouble with eye contact, but that is a characteristic of many disorders; not just exclusive to NLD or Asperger?s. I don?t obsess over things (except maybe with anxiety provoking decisions?like if I remembered to lock the door or not). I don?t appear to be lacking empathy. I?m actually very empathetic and show that very well. I don?t have preoccupations on certain subjects and I don?t talk about them all that often; well once and a while I will have a fascination but I think a lot of people do.

So I wish people in the NLD community and elsewhere would STOP thinking everyone with NLD is an Aspie, because I?m far from it. I?ve been tested several times and not once did it say I have Asperger?s. Stop comparing the disorder to Asperger?s because it?s far from it.

http://thatgirlwithnld.tumblr.com/post/ ... g-straight

She do not want to be viewed as an Aspie. I think that she does not met ICD-10 or DSM-IV criteria of AS, but she has not so small mental health problems. Also social ineptitude.

She has a type of "aucorigia". It is not "nerdiness" as in my case or "kannerity" as in HFA, but she has also soical, emotional and behavioral issues. She is similar to me due to social difficulties and some troubles with eye contact. People with "aucorigia" have more social problems beacuse of "developmental" social ineptitude.

PDD may also mean "problematic developmental dyssemia", not "pervasive developmental disorder". I have both. Pervasive developmental disorder is "unsuitability to world" (UTW) for me. Someone once told that I am "unsuitable to world". UTW is worse than just social ineptitude. Aspieness is not my only problem, I am also "twitty" and "kooky", which makes my mentality derailed, but I have good control over it. It is unpleasant to be "twit" and "kook", it makes anyone more "weird", "odd" and "nutty", it also worsens the level of functioning. I am "obsessive" an somewhat "dysreciprocal" (also dyssemic) since (early) childhood, so I met ICD-10 AS criteria (F84.5).

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 9:22 am

I think that many cases of "NVLD" are examples of "unnamed" pervasive developmental disorder which is inappriopiately named as a learning disability. I think that it is really wrong that many people with "life learning disability" have the diagnosis of "nonverbal learning disorder".

This PDD is something other than "typical" ASD. It appears not to belong to ASD "biologically", but only "symptomologically" due to similar symptoms. I named this PDD as "hyperlogic autism" due to tendency to early development of skills such as speech, naming, reading.

Hyperlogia is mainly a developmental socio-emotional-behavioral disorder. It may be scholastic advantage rather than disability. People with it may be very interested in reading or languages. Despite it, they may have paralinguistic and pragmatic issues, may be also naive, gullible, literally interpretating.

They tend to have special interests. Visual memory and thinking may be often poor. They rather do not have typically "technical" talents, which are quite common among "typical" Aspies.

They may have different social needs. Some people may have restricted or idiosyncratic social needs, present limited social or emotional reciprocity. They are usually strongly dyssemic, with poor eye contact, inadequate body language. They may have some deficits in the theory of mind, but not so profound like in typical autism. They may present some resistance to change. Strange routines, rituals are not uncommon. One of the traits of hyperlogia may be tendency to childhood-onset OCD (which is a sign of obsessiveness). They may be hyperkinetic, hyperactive. It is possible that SCT, ADD and tics are quite common symptoms of this phenomenon.

They often have peculiar emotionality. They may present paradoxical laughter, inadequate shame and other strange emotional disturbances. They tend to be significantly immature emotionally. They thinking may be bizarre, magical. Fantasies may be peculiar. They may even have bizarre beliefs. Stimming is possible.

Sensory issues are not uncommon. They tend to be rather milder than in typical ASD. Fears may be often "physical" (such as about illness and tragedies). They also may have specific fears, such as of machines.

Hyperlogia is a serious and complex ddevelopmental disorder. Visual-spatial-motor disorder is a subset of its (possible) traits. Some types of it may be easily classified as some sort of autism. That forms make someone unsuitable to world and really "strange". VSMD is not hyperlogia, more severe forms of hyperlogia are problematic socio-emotional-behavioral disorders. Hyperlogia is a form of "aspieness", not (just) a learning disability.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 4:34 am

There is a text written by administrator of http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com:

The confusion with NVLD, is that it has 2 different interpretations?
Historically, the WAIS and WISC tests, contained 2 sections: Verbal and Non-Verbal.
The Verbal section tested Auditory Processing.
The Non-Verbal section, tested the combined use of Visual and Spacial Processing.
So that originally, a Non Verbal Learning Disorder, referred to a Visual Spacial Processing Disorder.
The problem occurred, when a milder form of Autism was recognised. Where because Non Verbal difficulties are 'one part' of the diagnosis. Non Verbal Learning Disorder, became an unofficial term for it. Where Autistic Spectrum and Asperger's Syndrome are the official terms.
But the problem is that NVLD is still often wrongly used for Autistic Spectrum.
When NVLD, precisely refers to a Visual-Spacial Disorder.

Though the WISC and WAIS tests, renamed the Non-Verbal section to Perceptual Processing and Visual Processing. Partly because of this confusion with Non-Verbal.
But a further problem with this, is that tests used. Don't test Visual and Spacial Processing separately. They only test the 'combined use'. So that a low score doesn't clearly identify whether their is difficulty with just Visual processing or Spacial processing, or with both? Where it is crucial to clearly identify where the difficulty is.
So Ember, NVLD is a general term, that needs to be further defined.

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com/forum/v ... ad_id=4302

I think that "NVLD syndrome" is a PDD of different etiology than "classic", rigid type of autism.

For me many autistic people/PDDers are misdiagnosed with NVLD. People with NVLD have "normal" emotions, are not "weird", are also less inept.

thatgirlwithnld probably does not meet the criteria for PDD. But her disorder is PDD-like (aucorigic). She is also one of aucorigians. She has generalized anxiety disorder, oppositonal-defiant disorder and depression. They appear to be the result of her aucorigia (VSMD with some social ineptitude in her case).

PDDish aucorigians are other than she. They are Aspies, have larger social ineptitude, "obsessiveness" and more atypical emotionality and thinking. They also tend to have activity and sensory disturbances. PDDers tend to have OCD, sometimes "psychopathic" symptoms and (or) "schizo-like" symptoms. Not all Aspies have two last problems, these problems look "psycho" and have not to be associated with PDD as a whole. I read much about Aspies (especially women) and noticed many interesting similarities to my case and many Aspies. But many Aspies are misdiagnosed as just learning disabled people in my opinion. Aspies have often "odd", "alien" mentality, unlike LDers. They have more strange socio-emotional-behavioral anomalies.

I would name as "Aspies" not only ones with Asperger's, but also with other pervasive developmental disorders, such as HFA, PDA, McDD etc. (when they have relative high level of functioning). NLDers who have not "weird" mentality may be offended by named their as Aspies, who have often many bizarre traits. NVLDers may not want to be viewed as weirdos and oddballs. But I am the "sperg" (I do not want to use the word "sperg" to describe anyone else than me because of its derogatory and offensive character), not (just) a NLDer. Even some Polish Aspies suggested that I have schizotypal disorder or even schizophrenia or that I look like a kook. I was supposed to have McDD. I am a nerd, twerp and kook (I formed the word "nerpook" by blending of these three words). I am exceptional (pedagogue in my secondary school said that I am an exceptional person) - in negative, but sometimes also in positive sense. The word "Aspie" is nice and pleasant for me (in Polish there are sometimes used rare terms such as "Aspijczyk" for male Aspergian and "Aspijka" for female Aspergian, the second term looks very nice to me).

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 5:26 pm

I consider communication disorders and Autism Spectrum Disorder to be Developmental Communication Angosia.

I call it Developmental Communication Angosia Spectrum Disorder.