Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 9:55 am

Your stereotypical aspie will be into trains and stamp collecting.

Not me, I'm into horror movies, whether we really exist or if it's a simulation and vampires.

Anyone else into that weirder side of life? Or am I just disturbed...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:00 am

LOL....Everybody here seems to be into something "weird."

I'm into the weather, anthropology, archaeology, Early Man, biography, autobiography-----but I'm on the "square" side as compared with other Spectrumites here.

MiloTheStrange
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2021, 10:02 am

I’m not into that specifically, although I used to be fascinated with vampires (it started because I was afraid of them, as in, I was afraid that they were real and would break into my house and suck my blood in my sleep), but the paranormal and weird things in general have always fascinated me.

While there are stereotypical aspie obsessions like trains and dinosaurs, which I myself was obsessed with as a child, the truth is that an aspie can become obsessed with anything. I’ve had some very obscure ones, like my school’s grading system, asking what-if questions about fantastical scenarios, lists of anthropomorphic “species” from cartoon shows, and even people I knew!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:10 am

Boxes.
Sometimes I don't even know why... :lol:

Otherwise, mine happened to be revolved around crafting. And rarely ever verbally expressed any interests or knowledge at all.

My most verbalized interests revolves ironically around anthropology.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:35 am

KT67 wrote:
Your stereotypical aspie will be into trains and stamp collecting.

Not me, I'm into horror movies, whether we really exist or if it's a simulation and vampires.

Anyone else into that weirder side of life? Or am I just disturbed...

I was very much into horror movies when I was in my teens. Also, when in my teens and early twenties, I was very much into vampires, including not just movies but research into the folklore and the history of vampire hunts.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 11:21 am

My very first special interest was arthropods. I used to read insect field guides for fun. And also dictionaries, when I was a kid.

I love horror, particularly body horror. Mostly been jumping around to different particular things in that category for the past few years.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Blue_Blake
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2021, 11:36 am

I am very fond of spiders and I am a spider enthusiast

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 11:41 am

Does my interest in British vehicle registration numbers count?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 11:50 am

One of my biggest special interests is anthropology, and the evolution of humans and other great apes. Some people think that's a weird interest, especially when I can tell them facts about human babies and other ape babies. lol

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 12:07 pm

I like analog solid-state guitar amps. Who needs tubes? I got FETs.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FreeRoger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Apr 2021, 12:37 pm

William Sidis (Who I don't think was ever actually diagnosed, but probably had Aspergers) had an obsession with street car transfer tickets. If I remember correctly, he actually wrote an entire book about them, called one of the most boring books ever written. Talk about dedication.

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:39 pm

Dream's and dream worlds. My first dream I had as a child was the most fascinating phenomom - and ever since I have been interested in dreams.

And synthesizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:41 pm

I had a very strange special interest in the past for a brief three year period and I'm sure that many people here remember it. I had an interest in things related to Nazi Germany. I even found swastikas fascinating. I've toned it down quite a bit and I find that it's easier to be a Sweet Pea.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:52 pm

Interests that I had as a child and still have now:
Sailing boats and -ships, including the history and evolvements, and the craftsmanship (sail making, boat building, rope making etc). Also cloth craft in a more general sense (sewing, spinning fibres to thread, weaving...) and general wood working.
Graphic novels.
Horror movies and -books.
Drawing and painting.

Interests that I had as a child but have more or less dropped:
American Indians.
Shoguns and Ninjas and medieval Japan.
Knights and crusaders and medieval Europe.
Viking history, crafts, and religion.
Sami culture and crafts.

Things that I don't obsess about, but that still qualifies as interests:
IT (from low level device driver programming to network design, to security, to web development).
The board game Go(/Weiqi/Baduk).
Other old board games like Hnefatafl and Xiangqi.
Survivalism and Wilderness survival.
Cooking.
Hiking the mountains and sailing.

There's more, but those are ones that comes to mind...

/Mats

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2021, 2:34 pm

I don't have any interest that I'm particularly dedicated to in practice, but if I did, it would definitely be etymology. There's nothing more interesting than the nature of meaning and how it gets captured and passed on (or lost, sometimes). Connections through time and space way beyond the reach of a human life. Living fossils that give shape to our own thoughts.

Dictionaries are easily my favorite books. The one fiction book (to rule them all) that I ever read voluntarily was The Lord of the Rings. I don't think it's a coincidence that it was written by a linguist.

When I was a kid I was also particularly intested in country flags for some reason. Pretty stereotypical, I guess.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 2:52 pm

I am into horror movies and scary stories/urban Legends too. Also documentaries about disturbing topics.