Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02 ... 71826.html

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

Aw man I was hoping he meant talk down to them and tell them how worthless they are because enthusaizing(sp) them is even worse. :wink:

Not an uncommon attitude the journalist writes, that means so many people keep their mouths shut about it, even online because they all know that opinion is frowned upon. Plus it's a hate crime to say it and hate crimes are illegal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/27/cornwall-councillor-colin-brewer-disabled-children-put-down_n_2771826.html
You don't need to make it up, but you can quote some obscure public scandal in hopes of stirring up emotion.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

Stoek wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/27/cornwall-councillor-colin-brewer-disabled-children-put-down_n_2771826.html
You don't need to make it up, but you can quote some obscure public scandal in hopes of stirring up emotion.

Are you digging at me for posting this :?:

Last edited by whirlingmind on 06 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 3:51 pm

Pretty sure almost everyone on the planet disagrees with this guy, so not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Total ass, though. Karma will take care of him.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 3:55 pm

I thought he was. How on earth could he purport to know what I hoped to do. :roll: Well, shame he's got to the ripe old age of "82" and still behaves like a petulant 2 year old. Talk about ironic, he's accusing me of trying to stir up emotion...with a comment designed entirely for that purpose. :lol: You couldn't make that up either! Consider him ignored forthwith. :pig:

Thanks for your reply goldfish21.

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2013, 8:44 pm

People like this Colin should put down :evil:

okie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

Huffington Post wrote:
"Sadly hostility such as this is not uncommon for many disabled people and it is thoughtless comments like this that make it even harder for them to overcome the multiple barriers they face and live their lives just like everyone else."
Give the disabled a little credit. Compared to what many have to do just to get out of bed in the morning, "thoughtless comments" are nothing. The handicapped, by and large, aren't so fragile that their feelings must be protected against some jackass's griping.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Pretty sure almost everyone on the planet disagrees with this guy

I wouldn't count on it. The idea that having a disabled child is divine punishment has been very widespread, and there are people who believe it still. There is also a lot of shame connected to disabilities. Only a few decades ago it was like that here too. The old generation talked about "people like that" and couldn't get them institutionalized soon enough, hide them.
To certain ideologies it means weakness.
Then there is the economical issue. Not too long ago I saw a notice about spec ed for children with learning disabilities, ADHD and AS costing the schools. Add to that the current financial crisis, and you'll soon see how many people society thinks less of. People who can't work, or can only work with some or a lot of adjustment aren't going to score popularity points, and even less so in times of struggle.

I'm not surprised by his statement. What I'd like to know is how many share or partly share his views, if they dared say what they mean and not what they think people expect them to say.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Mar 2013, 11:40 pm

That sure reflects well on his mental model. Should he even still be in political power? For all we know he's just going to say something else stupid and insulting and just blame it on a bad day. :roll:

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 6:13 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Pretty sure almost everyone on the planet disagrees with this guy, so not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
But, he's an elected member of the local council. He makes decisions and votes, on behalf of his constituents. OK, he doesn't have real power, but just imagine being a parent of a child with a disability, needing to visit him, as your councillor, to ask for help with a matter related to your child's welfare, e.g. the transition from school to adulthood. Knowing his views on my child, I would feel completely unrepresented.