Do you escape or run away from difficult situations?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

Especially situations in which you have known the person or people for some time, be it family, friends, acquaintances or whatever. Do you run away as a method of coping or do you deal with the situation directly?

If you escape, how do you tend to do so?

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2013, 2:42 pm

I have always run away, until I had children. This is the first time in my life I've had to stick with it no matter what.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 3:01 pm

I always run away whenever I can. I'm very avoidant. I try not to put myself in a position to have to see people in the first place.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 6:21 pm

i cover my face and stand around until they go away, which is usually pretty quick. if not, ill start screaming...

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

Sometimes I deal with the situation directly, by taking the people involved aside for one-on-one discussions of the problem.

Sometimes I am overwhelmed and know I cannot communicate until things get better and in those cases I do run away. When I am unsuccessful in attempts to get away in that kind of situation I will have a meltdown or shutdown.

People, including me, have always been mystified by this behavior and it has sometimes been a source of shame. Only since learning about ASDs have I come to understand it myself. This understanding is one of the best things about diagnosis, from my perspective. I am not any better at dealing with it but I no longer feel ashamed.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 6:46 pm

I find myself in situation where I simply can not stay. So I run away.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm

If I can I will

I have gotten better about it over the years though

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 8:15 pm

Yes, as a kid i'd just wander away from situations where i was overstimulated , the field when my gym class was playing baseball, the lunch room in elementary school (so frequently that they made special arrangements for me to eat in a classroom -and this was before I even had a diagnosis ) , the movie theatre, fairs, amusement parks , festivals ect. I'd literally run away or walk away from these situations. Also I'd hide from class in the washroom a lot. As an adult when I worked I'd still hide in wash rooms at work if there was a smell or sound I didn''t like or a person I wanted to avoid ect. (I don't work now -this could be one reason why). Also I avoid crowded buses by waiting for many to go by until one isn't crowded. If the bus contains children screaming or a smell I don't like sometimes I'll get off wherever I am and wait for another one even if it makes me late. I avoid going to crowded, noisy places as much as possible. I avoid doing things that make me really anxious like initiating interaction with my friend (s?)-I have one, maybe two. They call me and ask me to hang out when they want to but I never call them.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 8:20 pm

When I was little and my parents took me to the playground I always wandered off to play in the woods and build a fort. This was especially true if there were a lot of kids around or if I had tried to initiate a game and failed.
Nowadays, if I've had a negative interaction with someone (or an interaction that I think has gone badly) I'll avoid that person for as long as possible.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 8:24 pm

GregCav wrote:
I find myself in situation where I simply can not stay. So I run away.

Indeed, I am very much like you. There are situations I cannot stand to suffer through so I must bid them adieu.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 8:33 pm

sometimes