Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2013, 4:14 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/healt ... ef=general

Quote:
Autism’s Unexpected Link

Researchers studying two seemingly unrelated conditions — autism and cancer — have unexpectedly converged on a surprising discovery. Some people with autism have mutated cancer or tumor genes that apparently caused their brain disorder.

Ten percent of children with mutations in a gene called PTEN, which cause cancers of the breast, colon, thyroid and other organs, have autism. So do about half of children with gene mutations that can lead to some kinds of brain and kidney cancer and large tumors in several organs, including the brain. That is many times the rate of autism in the general population.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

Thank you for sharing.

What a harrowing story, though. :pale:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the supposed genetic link between autism, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, and ADD.

If it is of any consolation, getting regular exercise, reducing meat, sugar, and artificial flavoring consumption (especially the artificial sugars), and eating (naturally) colorful fruits and vegetables, especially "greens," has been shown to help prevent cancer (http://www.lewrockwell.com/2011/06/joseph-mercola/12-steps-for-natural-cancer-prevention/).

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

Unless you happen to have this particular mutation, I wouldn't worry.

Any given mutation linked to autism is generally only present in a small proportion of autistics.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 5:18 pm

Of course any sort of scan also risks causing or increasing your risks of developing cancer too.
I think in some cases it is better not to know.