Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Jan 2007, 5:44 pm

the picture of those kids in the body bags cracks me up.

squier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 6:01 pm

i agree, the pose is kind of weird, like they were told to get in the most odd position possible. i wonder what faces the kids/people in the socks were making!

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 3:28 am

um... i don't think i'd want one.. unless it's really soft lol

squier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 9:28 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I think that using a body sock in a school meltdown situation could work, if it were approached this way: First let the child get acquainted with it in a calm situation. Depending upon their level of understanding, explain would you would like to use it for. Allow them to experiment with it, like try it on and see how it feels to them. Ask them if its a nice feeling or are they repulsed by it? If they don't seem to mind it, wait until a meltdown occurs, (at home) and then try it. If all goes well, explain that you'd like to give it to the school, and allow them to use it when things are out of control. Step by step like this, maybe the introduction of the body sock in the middle of a meltdown would not be just one more sensory nightmare, but a familiar sensation that would actually be welcome. Just my take on it :) After all I do this with my cat and her pet carrier for when she goes to the vet. Would anyone agree?

but this kid wasn't an aspie OR an autie, that teacher was doing something with out the child's or the parent's permition. what the teacher did is pretty much WRONG. it made things worse for that kid.

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2007, 11:37 pm

Corvus wrote:

As for the weights on the children's laps? No way.

From what I understand, weighted products are not (or ata least should not) be used as punishment, but as a tool the person selects to calm him or herself down. I sleep witha 17 lbs weighted blanket on me and i love the calming feeling of pressure! I am considering getting a weighted lap pad or vest to have when i'm just sitting around watching tv and i'm really stressed from having to be a person all day. I recomend weighte products highly if you find pressure calming.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 11:55 pm

my son (age 6) uses a body sock in OT and he LOVES it, is begging me to get him one to have at home, and I don't know about all of them but he can see while he is inside it. Although he does have sensory issues and the purpose of the body sock is to give him the "deep pressure" to help him calm down. I do think the school was wrong however if the kid was NT and they were just using it as punishment.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:03 am

ooohprettycolors wrote:
Corvus wrote:

As for the weights on the children's laps? No way.

From what I understand, weighted products are not (or ata least should not) be used as punishment, but as a tool the person selects to calm him or herself down. I sleep witha 17 lbs weighted blanket on me and i love the calming feeling of pressure! I am considering getting a weighted lap pad or vest to have when i'm just sitting around watching tv and i'm really stressed from having to be a person all day. I recomend weighte products highly if you find pressure calming.

For those who cant afford to buy weighted products...may I suggest making one for yourself.It takes very little sewing skill.I have neck "problems" and use one all the time.

Take some fleece material and sew some pocket areas.Buy large bag of rice very cheap at co-ops,asian markets,etc.use funnel to feed the rice into the pocket rows and sew closed.simple and inexpensive and can adjust weight to your personal preference.I heat mine in the microwave(only about three pounds of rice in my neck/shoulder weight...feels good in winter.You can also buy used stuffed animals of various sizes..."gut" them(sorry furry fans) and fill them with rice...only problem with them is some furs dont smell good in microwave and be careful not to heat something to large or fabric can burn...experiment until you find the right combination of fur/rice weight.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2007, 9:15 am

Those parents in the article are WAY overreacting. Ok, so their son was not autistic, and probably didn't have much benefit from the body sock. It didn't HURT him! It can't hurt anybody! He could breathe, and see. He might have even thought it was fun. Obviously, the father didn't even understand what the body sock was, because he said, "i don't think this should be used on anyone." I mean, I can understand beaing a bit angry at the school for using an unconventional product without parents permission. The school should have informed the parents. However, suing the school??? Where is the damage? They can't honestly have a case saying their son in emotionally scarred! People sue way too much. It's ridiculous.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 10:48 am

I definitely agree that this is NOT a situation worth suing over

Tanz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2007, 2:49 pm

the only person it would hurt would be a claustrophobe. As for myself, I find I can't sleep unless I have a heavy comforter on me, even if it is hot (then I have the a/c on and am under a heavy comforter - my gf thinks I'm weird about this but II never suspected it might be AS related).

"Lunch...is on Millie" - Ace Rimmer