Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 7:02 pm

i always wear red

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2014, 7:10 pm

Oh god, it seems Autism Speaks control over the media is growing. I really hate them and their obtuse, nonsensical campaigns. How does blue even represent autism? It only reflects Autism Speaks, as well as how they portray autism. I won't now, nor ever, participate in any of their awareness campaigns.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 7:24 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'll be wearing orange all month. I'm going to light it up orange.
Light it up GOLD!! !

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 8:47 pm

.....I dont get it.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 9:02 pm

MathGirl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Light it up GOLD!! !

Gold would be really good. It's yellow and is the complementary(opposite) color of blue on the color wheel.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 9:28 pm

I know someone getting blue streaks in her hair for "autism awareness". She means well, but I find myself cringing about the pep rally attitude of the entire idea. I feel the same about pink for breast cancer....what does this positively contribute to anything?!?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 9:40 pm

RichardJ wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I would like to light it up green, my lawn that is. :lol:
Botheration this endless blasted winter.

To light it up green would be more natural for me. I'd go crazy if I went even three days without wearing sweet pea green.

Red, gold and green.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 9:56 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
All this symbolic garbage just makes activists feel good about themselves. It's a waste of the color blue. Besides, why is our color blue? Do they think I'm bruised? Should I be blue for having Asperger's?

This. There was an amusing blog I read once entitled "Stuff White People Like" and it was a humourous exaggeration of all the silly things whites/Americans do, like thinking every child is gifted and covering the entire back of their car in bumper stickers. One of the items on the list was "Awareness". Here's the first paragraph and a half:

Quote:
An interesting fact about white people is that they firmly believe that all of the world’s problems can be solved through “awareness.” Meaning the process of making other people aware of problems, and then magically someone else like the government will fix it.

This belief allows them to feel that sweet self-satisfaction without actually having to solve anything or face any difficult challenges. Because, the only challenge of raising awareness is people not being aware.

'Awareness' campaigns. Yes.

A lot of us 'white people' really like 'slacktivism'. A remember a 'campaign' on Facebook several years ago that involved changing one's profile picture to their favorite cartoon character to protest child abuse. Because when an abuser sees Scooby-Doo's 'Danger-prone Daphne' on his news feed, he'll instantly think of his children and how he's mistreated them all these years and experience a change of heart.

What especially angers me is organizations that use breast cancer as an excuse to earn more money. (Alright, we've stamped pink ribbons all over our soda cans! Our sales will skyrocket!) My mom didn't survive breast cancer because the high school football team wore pink socks during an October game. Sure, you can argue that more awareness will inspire more women to get mammograms and eliminate possible cancer in its earlier stages. But then what? Awareness only does so much.

Back to autism.

I wish the rainbow was used to represent autism, because different types autism, just like the colors of the rainbow, are on a spectrum. Some people are reds. Some are blues. Some are a different shade of blue - intermediate between blue and green. Still, others are oranges and purples. Although we are on the same spectrum, our personalities, interests, and problems are unique.

:D

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 1:04 am

AdamAutistic wrote:
Sylvastor wrote:
I would really like to know why the hate against Autism Speaks, anyone willing to enlighten me?

Wrongplanet-Why Protest Autism Speaks?

Because Autism Speaks wants to eradicate autism by finding a "cure" for it, rather than simply supporting neurodiversity like they should be. Despite the issues we may have with NT society, the fact is that the world needs people on the autism spectrum to survive and thrive. Without individuals like us, we would be stuck in the dark ages.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 10:03 am

Don't know about anyone else but this thread entirely confuses me....are people mad because autism speaks owns the mentioned buildings, or do they just have offices for their organization in these buildings? :? I guess if its something like that I'd say there are much more important things than the location of the autism speaks organization offices....such as specific problems people might have with the organization.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 10:47 am

MathGirl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Light it up GOLD!! !

Light it up lilac? Then you'd have a bit of an alliteration going. Also, I like lilac.

I haven't entirely made up my mind about Autism Speaks. I disagree with how they allocate funds but I don't think they're as evil as some people here think.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 10:52 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
MathGirl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Light it up GOLD!! !

Light it up lilac? Then you'd have a bit of an alliteration going. Also, I like lilac.

I haven't entirely made up my mind about Autism Speaks. I disagree with how they allocate funds but I don't think they're as evil as some people here think.
Gold is the chemiCal symbol for autism. And I think the motive benind autism speaks is evil. They have done some good things, like sponsoring very beneficial projects and some of their info can be very useful to parents, but some of it can be stigmatizing and sends the wrong message.

I suggest you check out the golden hat foundation instead. They are doing some really good things for autism.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 10:59 am

^
You could be right. I don't know enough about them to say.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 2:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Don't know about anyone else but this thread entirely confuses me....are people mad because autism speaks owns the mentioned buildings, or do they just have offices for their organization in these buildings? :? I guess if its something like that I'd say there are much more important things than the location of the autism speaks organization offices....such as specific problems people might have with the organization.

Autism Speaks doesn't own the buildings. People are mad because autism speaks' adverts have the power to convince the building owners to "light it up blue". They are also mad about what autism speaks stands for. :hmph:

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2014, 6:14 pm

We're in the UK and our town hall is lighting up purple to avoid the association with Autism Speaks. We are the first city in the UK to do it apparently but I'm hoping it will catch on and that will be the colour the UK use to raise awareness of not only the difficulties but also the strengths and talents people with autism have.
I think it's useful because, unlike cancer, a lot of people don't know what autism is - or have a very restricted view of what it is. If the town hall being lit up purple inspires people to discuss/read up on autism then that's a good thing. And the kids from the local autism school are going to be singing down there in the evening and there will be some other stuff going on so it should be a nice evening.
I agree a rainbow of colours would be a more fitting symbol but here we use the rainbow for gay pride so I suppose it would be confusing.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 6:29 pm

MathGirl wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
MathGirl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Light it up GOLD!! !

Gold is the chemiCal symbol for autism. And I think the motive benind autism speaks is evil. They have done some good things, like sponsoring very beneficial projects and some of their info can be very useful to parents, but some of it can be stigmatizing and sends the wrong message.

I suggest you check out the golden hat foundation instead. They are doing some really good things for autism.

I just checked them out briefly now. I'd recommend anyone else who hasn't to do so.

After just a brief check, they seem to want to change the way people perceive autism instead of trying to cure it, and are trying to make it easier for us to live in society as we are. From their website:

We at the Golden Hat Foundation believe that:
Despite the behaviors and communication difficulties of people with ASD, we should assume intelligence first and then find ways to access it. People on the autism spectrum are different, but they have unique strengths, perceptions, and talents that deserve recognition and respect.

People on the autism spectrum should be given the means to learn to communicate.

Autistic individuals should have access to an appropriate academic education, social supports and job training based on their abilities.

This is the kind of NPO I can get behind 8)