Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:20 pm

My dear kid's school is all about April is Autism Awareness Month. They have two huge bulletin boards with multicolored puzzle pieces. The one board is about disabilities, differences and bullying. The other board is all about the differences on the spectrum. LF/HF/Aspergers/PDD
and SID.

One of the hallways has blue film over the drop ceiling fluorescent light panels. So the hallway is blue.

From what I've heard, the parents are thrilled and nothing negative has been said. Have no clue how the ASD kids think about it. I know they helped up the boards up.

For all the BAD media ASD has gotten in the US, I don't see how this information is bad.

*I do understand all the Autism Speak hate*

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

This week and next week, the special ed teachers are going to each class to explain the adaptive technology the ASD kids use. My dear kid said there was the IPad with the special software, PEC board, noise cancelling head phones, and an exercise ball (for sitting). They also showed to vids that describe sensory overload from YouTube. One was the person walking into a store and the other was walking down the street. Both links have been on this board before.

The IPad and the head phones where a HUGE issue for the NT kids, who didn't understand why so and so got them.

My dear kid's ASD classmate was out sick when the presentation was given.

Her teacher commented that she had no clue sensory overloads were like that.

We have a new principal who is more receptive about explaining differences. This would have never happened with the old one.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:45 pm

This week and next week, the special ed teachers are going to each class to explain the adaptive technology the ASD kids use. My dear kid said there was the IPad with the special software, PEC board, noise cancelling head phones, and an exercise ball (for sitting). They also showed to vids that describe sensory overload from YouTube. One was the person walking into a store and the other was walking down the street. Both links have been on this board before.

The IPad and the head phones where a HUGE issue for the NT kids, who didn't understand why so and so got them.

My dear kid's ASD classmate was out sick when the presentation was given.

Her teacher commented that she had no clue sensory overloads were like that.

We have a new principal who is more receptive about explaining differences. This would have never happened with the old one.