Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sun_and_rain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Apr 2007, 1:21 pm

My son (aged 26) is coming off aripiprazole (Abilify), which is an anti-psychotic. His current daily dose is 30mg. He's been on it because he has a diagnosis of schizophrenia but we think the diagnosis is wrong and he's now being assessed for AS. Does anyone have experience of coming off aripiprazole? What are the best steps down (in mg.) and over what time period? My son's psychiatrist is talking about going down in 3 steps (30 - 20 - 15 - 0) over about 6-8 weeks, but my feeling is that this is too fast. What do others think?

As aripiprazole is a relatively new drug in the UK (where we live) I don't think psychiatrists have much experience of their patients coming off it.

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2007, 4:34 pm

For your son to be diagnosed with schizophenia he must have suffered from psychosis, so even now you think he has aspergers, he will still suffer from psychosis again if he comes of his medication.
I have aspergers and suffer from psychosis and so do many people here, I have been on 4 different antipsychotics but I have never been on Aripiprazole, so I can't comment on the withdrawal effects, it is normally a good idea to reduce an antipsychotic by no more than 25% at at time.
I live in the UK, and quite a few aspies here use Risperidone, have a look at
www.asd-forum.org.uk
Take care
Simon

gimp
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2007, 4:40 pm

Risperidone is one of the heavy guns but abilify is right below it, many Psychs use or switch to abilify as it has (supposedly) fewer side affects-particularly Tardive dyskinesia and all those other extra-pyramidal things, than the risperidal. 30mg of abilify is a pretty hefty dose and though the mg staging sounds right an extra 30-45 days of weaning probably won't hurt.

DogDancer
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2007, 5:58 pm

Sun and Rain, hi.

Can't help with your meds question per se, but I just wanted to say that since I joined this site ~ five months ago, I've seen quite a few posts indicating incorrect initial Dx of schizophrenia, especially in younger people/kids when the correct Dx is AS. That's not to say that they can't be co-morbid, but from what I've read and heard, it seems like AS is generally more likely to be co-morbid with one or more of the following: bi-polar (I and II), depression and anxiety disorders, and ADD or ADHD.

Don't know how much of the site you've read, so I wanted to lend support to your impression. Sounds like the psych is being flexible and willing to entertain a different Dx. I hope so. I have to disagree slightly w/ gimp, though -- from what I've read, although I'm not a doc, risperdone is the more tested and main atypical anti-psychotic that is being used with some success for AS (especially AS in combo w/ bi-polar!).

However, the no-drugs and lots of behavioral support/work option is best if possible.

Good luck to you and your son.

DD