Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 7:10 pm

When reading fictional books I like a lot of books with a lot of detail to prompt setting. I like old books like Shakespearre or Edgar Allan Poe because they had a lot of detail. See if the book does not set the world with detail I cannot imagine the world very well. Like Timeline by Micheal Chrichton as much as I love the book there are very few setting details. When I read a good detail I can imagine a world and a movie starts playing in my had. I rarely see words, I see movies in my had. But when there is no detail to prompt setting I just see a white room and it feels like the characters are just floating around and I cannot place the characters anywhere.

Anyone else have similiar situation?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 7:18 pm

Um... Shakespeare? In his plays, the setting is only described in a single sentence at the beginning of each scene, such as "a room in the castle" or "fields near Dover". The rest is 99% dialog.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 7:51 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Um... Shakespeare? In his plays, the setting is only described in a single sentence at the beginning of each scene, such as "a room in the castle" or "fields near Dover". The rest is 99% dialog.

I meant is as more of an example of the superflorous usage of words. I like wordy text too.