Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 2:35 pm

I have a lot of fears, not just fear at one particular thing but many, that impaires me with living a life like regular people do, and I wonder if anxiety disorder would be the best way to describe it, or if is there another term for that

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 2:40 pm

Sounds like you could have an anxiety disorder. I have similar symptoms and have been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (or 'G.A.D.)

I find that alprazolam (Xanax) and Oxazepam help. They don't make it as though you didn't have anxiety at all, but they make you feel less panicked. But obviously this is just my experience - you should speak to your doctor if you are considering medication for this.

I also find that L-glutathione helps - although again, what works for one person doesn't work for everyone elso, and it is adviseable to talk to your doctor before you take any supplements.

Good luck.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 2:43 pm

That sounds like GAD maybe, greenblue.
I have social anxiety disorder.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 2:44 pm

Yep, GAD it is. I have SAD, which is more focused on people.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 2:49 pm

Generalized anxiety disorder is what they call what you are describing. It is what I have. I am afraid of things like clowns, sharks ( I live on the prairie :lol: ), thunderstorms, deep water and the dark. That doesn't count the things i am not usually afraid of that just pop up out of nowhere and only at certain times. I have days when I am afraid to go out and talk to stangers so I cut myself some slack and stay home. I know the next day it will be okay to go out. I took yoga and relaxation classes to deal with it and it seems to work most of the time. Medications also work well but some of them are addictive so I avoid them. There are ways to work around the anxiety and I hope you find one! :wink:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 4:11 pm

Thanks, so I was kinda in the right track, at first I was confused about it days ago and thought that probably was OCD, but that's different, right? It seems that I could have both then, GAD and SAD (is this for social anxiety?)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 4:53 pm

I have GAD and SA

devunea
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2007, 4:57 pm

I have GAD too, guess it is common.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:08 pm

greenblue wrote:
Thanks, so I was kinda in the right track, at first I was confused about it days ago and thought that probably was OCD, but that's different, right? It seems that I could have both then, GAD and SAD (is this for social anxiety?)

Yeah. SAD = Social Anxiety Disorder.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2007, 6:13 pm

blessedmom wrote:
Generalized anxiety disorder is what they call what you are describing. It is what I have. I am afraid of things like clowns, sharks ( I live on the prairie :lol: ), thunderstorms, deep water and the dark. That doesn't count the things i am not usually afraid of that just pop up out of nowhere and only at certain times. I have days when I am afraid to go out and talk to stangers so I cut myself some slack and stay home. I know the next day it will be okay to go out. I took yoga and relaxation classes to deal with it and it seems to work most of the time. Medications also work well but some of them are addictive so I avoid them. There are ways to work around the anxiety and I hope you find one! :wink:

That describes me,for the most part.I knew I had GAD but I assumed those unrealistic fears were symptoms of OCD or PTSD.It's like the anxiety needs fed,even if you have no present fear,so it manufactures an oddball fear.I believe GAD includes some social anxiety.It can definitely slow you down.

I tried meds,and they were of limited help,but I've been finding other coping strategies.Mostly,for me,it's been a matter of slowly recognizing the absurdity of what my anxiety is telling me,and knowing it is not a real concern.Relaxation,trying to avoid unnecessary stresses,diet,fitness.All those can help lots.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 8:21 pm

That really have been a big problem for me besides the social issues, like I am unable to do some tasks partly because of some sort of dyspraxia and ADD and partly because of intense fear of things, like fire (cooking), going out, highs, doctors, etc. for example I feel very uncomfortable in a kid's birthday party like my nephew's because of the balloons, I hate balloons.

Yes I should try to do something, another thing I fear of is medication (I can't swallow pills or don't want to) and doctors :( so a psychological therapy without drugs sounds like a good option, right?

SG
Raven
Raven

22 May 2007, 10:06 pm

methinks is on the money

I've gotten over alot of strange fears by just recognising the aburdity and applying some courage, but theres still some things I can't get over like..um.. nah i dont wanna name em :P

a psyhcologist should be able to help with these things

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 10:20 pm

Recognizing the absurdity helped me for one thing, as a kid I was terrified at clowns but I am not anymore, surely now, a clown wakes me up in the morning and I probably would get a panick attack :lol:

For now avoidence have worked for me, of course, I haven't tried anything else, the things about yoga and relaxation sound very nice actually.

Thank you all for the input

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 11:56 pm

Introducing myself to new people
Impromtu speaking
Being interviewed
Being interrogated (especially I lose my ability to speak)
(they are some of the social anxieties)

Other anxieties include:
I get anxious if drive without a seatbelt or any other safety device such as a safety harness when I am up on heights.
Working around heavy machinary.
The dark.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2007, 6:13 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Introducing myself to new people
Impromtu speaking
Being interviewed
Being interrogated (especially I lose my ability to speak)
(they are some of the social anxieties)

Other anxieties include:
I get anxious if drive without a seatbelt or any other safety device such as a safety harness when I am up on heights.
Working around heavy machinary.
The dark.

wow, that is me almost to a T...
elevators creep me out a little as well..

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2007, 6:11 pm

I have anxiety too. I have a number of phobias and things that get me nervous and scared in general. I also get the physical symptoms, at least of most of them, of anxiety.

I'm always worrying and feeling nervous and anxious about things.

The symptoms of GAD felt me to the "T" also. Many Aspies from what I hear and understand suffer from some form of anxiety disorder.

Currently, I'm taking St. John's Wort and a tincture with Melissa Leaf and some other herb. They do help me to some extent.