Asperger's Syndrome and Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

R7a9y
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2006, 9:19 am

A narcissistic individual is primraryly emotionally driven, an aspie by logic. I would find it difficult to imagine an individual that could exhibit both disorders.

While both personalities are lacking in empathy, utilise false social reaction and are based on the self rather than others, a narcissist's goal is extro-verted while an aspie's is introverted.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 10:59 pm

An Aspie is driven by logic? Logic is relative, and everyone follows their own logic. Narcissists still follow the logic of their existence, that interaction with other people is about clashes of ego, about manipulation. Can't you see how the two logics are compatable? Consider if an autistic had been brought up with narcissists since they were really young, that they learnt the narcissistic lesson. Logically, it follows that that autistic would learn to interact and behave in the same manner. Although, of course, there's the possibility that the autistic doesn't learn and becomes a victim with low self-esteem. The two are far from mutually exclusive, and they're already very similar.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

How to get rid of narcissistic traits? I'm not a liar, but I care too much about actually being the best at certain (quite a few, not to say almost everything) things. That's impossible and makes me suffer.

How to get rid of it? I suffer from being not as good as I am. I want to stop caring about it. I understand everything logically, because yeah, so what that one is better than me, I can just work more. Unfortunately, my stupid emotional brain is too ret*d to be quiet and makes me suffer.

I have some problems with executive functioning because of my narcissistic desire to be best-in-class. My emotional kernel enters "kernel panic" state too easily with short time limits, so it spams all my neurological network with useless information that "I can't do that", so I literally can't think about anything else.

How to get rid of that? I try very hard, but the fact that I may suffer from this for the rest of my life is sometimes overwhelming and depressing.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

16 Apr 2013, 6:25 pm

R7a9y wrote:
A narcissistic individual is primraryly emotionally driven, an aspie by logic. I would find it difficult to imagine an individual that could exhibit both disorders.

While both personalities are lacking in empathy, utilise false social reaction and are based on the self rather than others, a narcissist's goal is extro-verted while an aspie's is introverted.

This is crazy and probably wrong on both counts.

I think humans are all driven by emotion at bottom, but they operate to varying degrees according to logic. Both aspies and NPD's could operate day-to-day on the basis of logic and reason, or lack thereof. Some aspies often act irrationally in a variety of circumstances, as does everyone else. In my therapy group, one aspie guy stormed out of the room a few times when someone offended him. NPD's can freak out and lose their temper too over stupid s**t.

However, an NPD could have grandiose visions of personal success and then work very methodically and logically to actualize these visions as much as possible. I had grandiose visions of being top of my class at Harvard Law School, ranked #2 in the country. I came from a sh***y Christian college, so none of my professors took me seriously, but my father has a tendency to encourage narcissistic thinking. So I acted according to this vision and ended up getting into the University of Chicago, ranked #4 in the country because I got 172 on the LSAT (99th percentile) instead of 174 (99.9th percentile) (I ended up going to the University of Texas on a full scholarship for ret*d reasons and have been depressed ever since, but that's another story). So one could say I partially actualized my goals. I always fall just short of my grandiose goals, which is frustrating, but without them, I'm not sure I would achieve as much as I have.

Both aspies and NPD's are known for being emotionally dead, so I fail to see much of a difference on either the macro or micro level.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Apr 2013, 6:31 pm

The only personality disorder I am aware of that comes close to being the opposite of autism is histrionic personality disorder, and both studies I've seen that looked for PDs in autistic people found zero with HPD. Even so, I would hesitate to say that there are no autistic people with HPD.

NPD is far from mutually exclusive with autism, however.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 7:45 pm

65536 wrote:
How to get rid of narcissistic traits? I'm not a liar, but I care too much about actually being the best at certain (quite a few, not to say almost everything) things. That's impossible and makes me suffer.

How to get rid of it? I suffer from being not as good as I am. I want to stop caring about it. I understand everything logically, because yeah, so what that one is better than me, I can just work more. Unfortunately, my stupid emotional brain is too ret*d to be quiet and makes me suffer.

I have some problems with executive functioning because of my narcissistic desire to be best-in-class. My emotional kernel enters "kernel panic" state too easily with short time limits, so it spams all my neurological network with useless information that "I can't do that", so I literally can't think about anything else.

How to get rid of that? I try very hard, but the fact that I may suffer from this for the rest of my life is sometimes overwhelming and depressing.
I can very much relate. I'm also slightly narcissistic and often am too proud of my accomplishments and what I have (but really, if you work hard for it, shouldn't you be proud?). I don't know how to "fix" this and lately, I don't feel like it really needs to be fixed in the first place. Luckily, I get extra time on tests in college, which gives me more room to make things perfect. I utilize this time to the very end. I also have executive functioning difficulties, especially with task switching, so I push myself to the max. This often means deliberately blocking myself off from everything I enjoy and focusing on my work instead, sometimes for weeks at a time before I indulge for even an hour. My routine is school - come home - sit down to study. I only go on WP while I'm eating a meal and sometimes as one of these "indulgences".

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2013, 1:33 am

MathGirl wrote:
I'm also slightly narcissistic and often am too proud of my accomplishments and what I have (but really, if you work hard for it, shouldn't you be proud?). I don't know how to "fix" this and lately, I don't feel like it really needs to be fixed in the first place. Luckily, I get extra time on tests in college, which gives me more room to make things perfect. I utilize this time to the very end.

If you don't need to get rid of it, you probably don't suffer too much from it. It's not perfectionism, perfectionism is alright. It's about being frustrated and depressed because you didn't achieve something (or did by hard working) and someone else did it effortlessly. It's about trouble accepting that someone is, for example, smarter than you and you don't really have a possibility to be more intelligent. It's pretty much like Sheldon being corrected by 15 y.o. Korean. This part of his behavior is a perfect visualization of this narcissistic trait. You stop doing what you're best at, because there is someone who do it better and you feel like trash.

And I remember now that I lied in only one type of situation and this lie was terrible. For example, if I made a silly mistake and got corrected. I used to tell the correcter that I did it on purpose (for example spelling error) to defend myself. But I know it was terrible and noone would believe, so now I accept corrections and don't try to be defensive.

Seriously, how don't you want to get rid of that?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 3:03 am

Feste-Fenris wrote:
It could be argued that Asperger's is the opposite of narcisssism...

Narcissism leads to self-love and allows someone to socially interact more efficiently...

Asperger's leads to self-hatred (quite often) and disrupts someone's chances for fitting in with society...

I don't think too much about the search of an opposite diagnosis, but I've read it quite often.
Some claime here on WP schizophrenia would be the opposite of ASD, others that it's borderline, now you that's narcissism.

Eventhough that not many autistics might be narcissists, this combination is still possible and as an autistic person you don't have to hate yourself to be autistic.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 6:55 am

65536 wrote:
If you don't need to get rid of it, you probably don't suffer too much from it. It's not perfectionism, perfectionism is alright. It's about being frustrated and depressed because you didn't achieve something (or did by hard working) and someone else did it effortlessly. It's about trouble accepting that someone is, for example, smarter than you and you don't really have a possibility to be more intelligent. It's pretty much like Sheldon being corrected by 15 y.o. Korean. This part of his behavior is a perfect visualization of this narcissistic trait. You stop doing what you're best at, because there is someone who do it better and you feel like trash.

And I remember now that I lied in only one type of situation and this lie was terrible. For example, if I made a silly mistake and got corrected. I used to tell the correcter that I did it on purpose (for example spelling error) to defend myself. But I know it was terrible and noone would believe, so now I accept corrections and don't try to be defensive.

Seriously, how don't you want to get rid of that?
Hmm, it annoys me when someone is better than me, but I usually refuse to acknowledge it as such, twisting things around mentally so that I am at least equal to the other person. My point is not that I am perfectionist (which I am) but that I am very competitive as well, and will do my very best to end up at the top or as an equal. I've never accepted that someone is smarter than me (I actually don't think the concept of "smart" even exists). I also get intense anxiety and frustration when I don't achieve the best grade in class.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2013, 7:20 am

Problem with words and interpretations of words.

EGO? What is ego. When I am going against someones ideas it is not because I want conflict. I want a solution. The problem is that people are conflict driven. Is that my problem?

Disagreements. Hmmm do we always have to agree?

Asperger people never plan ahead and always do what they are told? I mean if I plan out something and someone tries to shatter those plans and if I do not listen to that person that makes me narcissistic?

Unrealistic goals? This is speculative term. Many people are different. Someone is a good sprinter and can run 100 meters in 10 seconds. If that person goes to olympics and trains for olympics, how is that unrealistic?

I have been told by many idiots that something can not be done. So? Does that mean that I have to meltdown and cry over what someone else thinks?

Narcissism means you only see your self in the picture. The problem is that when I try to cooperate with people they deliberatly go against everything I want to do and try to do?

Pisses me off and I argue with them uppon which I am called egoistic? Then my selfesteem drops down to 0, because I had this argument 1000 times. Yeah.

Gaby76
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2013, 3:26 pm

Be very aware of the characteristics of the Narcissist that walk among us. My sister is one and I didn't even realize it until our mother died. She is six years older than I am and bullied me and gave me grief throughout my childhood but she never got in trouble because they thought she was a child prodigy. She made straight A's all through school, was the teacher's pet and had tons of friends. She married a red neck with an inheritance, has a successful career and thousands of friends on Facebook. She flaunts her extravagant lifestyle and pretends to be generous and open minded but she is actually the coldest and greediest person I have ever known.
Narcissism is the exact opposite of ASD. These people are completely empty inside and compensate by creating an illusion of perfection. They feed off the admiration and envy of other people. They are master manipulators who cannot take criticism of any kind because they perceive it as a threat to the illusion that they have of themselves. They are excellent at predicting what people will do but a person with an ASD is a fly in the ointment because they underestimate us because of our lack of social skills. They think that everybody wants to be envied by others as much as they do. They have learned the social game well, it is the only game that they understand.
If you have the misfortune to run into a Narcissist remember that they will do anything to protect their own reputation. If you know who you are dealing with you will be able to totally predict them and they well never be able to predict you. This is a case where not complying with the rules of the social game gives you a tremendous advantage when you will probably need it the most.
My sister took off her mask after my mother died and put my dad in a nursing home, stole all of his property and tried to get control of his house and his money but I managed to rescue him and save the cash and the house. I am still working on the personal property that she and her son stole which included some valuable world war I weapons and firearms and other collectable items.
I am quite sure that my dad is ASD and my sister was just pampered and spoiled to death as a child. That can cause Narcissism.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

17 Apr 2013, 3:27 pm

Gaby76 wrote:
Be very aware of the characteristics of the Narcissist that walk among us. My sister is one and I didn't even realize it until our mother died. She is six years older than I am and bullied me and gave me grief throughout my childhood but she never got in trouble because they thought she was a child prodigy. She made straight A's all through school, was the teacher's pet and had tons of friends. She married a red neck with an inheritance, has a successful career and thousands of friends on Facebook. She flaunts her extravagant lifestyle and pretends to be generous and open minded but she is actually the coldest and greediest person I have ever known.
Narcissism is the exact opposite of ASD. These people are completely empty inside and compensate by creating an illusion of perfection. They feed off the admiration and envy of other people. They are master manipulators who cannot take criticism of any kind because they perceive it as a threat to the illusion that they have of themselves. They are excellent at predicting what people will do but a person with an ASD is a fly in the ointment because they underestimate us because of our lack of social skills. They think that everybody wants to be envied by others as much as they do. They have learned the social game well, it is the only game that they understand.
If you have the misfortune to run into a Narcissist remember that they will do anything to protect their own reputation. If you know who you are dealing with you will be able to totally predict them and they well never be able to predict you. This is a case where not complying with the rules of the social game gives you a tremendous advantage when you will probably need it the most.
My sister took off her mask after my mother died and put my dad in a nursing home, stole all of his property and tried to get control of his house and his money but I managed to rescue him and save the cash and the house. I am still working on the personal property that she and her son stole which included some valuable world war I weapons and firearms and other collectable items.
I am quite sure that my dad is ASD and my sister was just pampered and spoiled to death as a child. That can cause Narcissism.

Bitter much?

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 3:47 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Bitter much?

Nasty, self-obsessed hypochondriac much?

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2013, 4:49 pm

Gaby76: there are a few subtypes of narcissists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissist ... r#Subtypes

Your sister might be "Unprincipled narcissist". I think that some of the other subtypes aren't necessarily opposite of the ASD. However, they all have something in common: lies.

Personally, I hate lies, so maybe I don't have a full-blown NPD, but just a few nasty traits...

Last edited by 65536 on 17 Apr 2013, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 4:53 pm

Highlander852456 wrote:
Problem with words and interpretations of words.

EGO? What is ego. When I am going against someones ideas it is not because I want conflict. I want a solution. The problem is that people are conflict driven. Is that my problem?

Disagreements. Hmmm do we always have to agree?

Asperger people never plan ahead and always do what they are told? I mean if I plan out something and someone tries to shatter those plans and if I do not listen to that person that makes me narcissistic?

Unrealistic goals? This is speculative term. Many people are different. Someone is a good sprinter and can run 100 meters in 10 seconds. If that person goes to olympics and trains for olympics, how is that unrealistic?

I have been told by many idiots that something can not be done. So? Does that mean that I have to meltdown and cry over what someone else thinks?

Narcissism means you only see your self in the picture. The problem is that when I try to cooperate with people they deliberatly go against everything I want to do and try to do?

Pisses me off and I argue with them uppon which I am called egoistic? Then my selfesteem drops down to 0, because I had this argument 1000 times. Yeah.
Nah, that's not narcissism. Narcissism is excessive self-pride, pretty much. By asserting yourself and thinking about your needs, you are not narcissistic. You are only fully narcissistic when you think you are the best at everything, cannot admit your own faults and mistakes, and cannot take criticism.

Perhaps I did overexaggerate my characteristics. I am by no means a full narcissist, I just have a lot of self-pride, a need to be perfect as a person, and a need to be at least equal to others in a group. If I feel inferior, I will do anything to assert power, or simply withdraw and probably leave if I was not getting anywhere. My drive to succeed is largely motivated by wanting to be able to assert control over my situation. However, I do not lie about my weaknesses; I know what they are and I avoid any situation where they would become apparent. I also have a high external self-esteem and can get proud and/or arrogant if I let myself get too carried away.

Fiddlehead
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2013, 6:09 pm

I was curious by this thread so I took the NDP quiz on PsychCentral.

"Your Total: 5
Between 12 and 15 is average.
Celebrities often score closer to 18.
Narcissists score over 20."

So, I'm thinking they are not all that similar.

My SIL is NPD.

I would describe her as manipulative, for sure. She's so skilled at it I'm not sure she even realizes that she does it - it's just a part of who she is, all the time. I used to admire her extreme confidence and grand sense of self, just because it was so... intense! I was like - wow, she sure is confident! I wish I had some of that! When I'm talking to her, I know now that she's only pretending to be listening, and will look for any opportunity to bring the conversation back around to herself and her needs, wants and achievements. It's quite different than an AS person wanting to talk about their obsessive topical interests. She's had extra-marital affairs and did act remorseful when she was caught, though in hindsight she was kind of flaunting it, dropping hints, almost looking to get caught. She craves power. Here is a big trait - she has very lofty aspirations - she if fully honest about the fact that she wants and deserves to be rich, successful, and adored. But these aspirations are not very realistic (she doesn't like to work) and her spending habits have led to bankruptcy and foreclosures. I love her because she's my SIL, but I wouldn't choose to have her as a friend, and I'm much more guarded around her now.