Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 2:35 pm

That's not fair, nor logical. It's the fallacy of association. Each person should be judged on an individual basis and not on assumptions based on stereotypical profiling.

"Some men have done wrong things to women, so all of them are suspect unless proved otherwise and even then they should still be considered a threat just cause they could do something."

Is equivalent to

"Some women have light hair, so all of them are suspect unless proved otherwise and even then they should still be observed for the roots to show."

I'm not saying that hair color has anything to do with intelligence, but it's also a stereotype.

Do you ever catch people staring at you? They look away when you notice them, but later you hear them gossip about you? I hate that!

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Aug 2007, 11:05 pm

skahthic wrote:
Being a woman myself, i think it's simply the fact that most women are programmed to be suspicious of males as well as darkness from early childhood on. Women watch the news and are told numerous tales ( some true, some not) about men carrying women away in the cover of darkness. Combine the two ( men and darkness) and many women go into suspicion-hyperdrive. It doesn't seem to matter that they outnumber you 20 to 1, they'll still think and act that way. I have a hunch their thoughts/attitudes would be somewhat different if you were another female walking in the woods--- even if they thought you were strange, they wouldn't feel alarmed as they would a male. It isn't fair for all the decent males out there, but it's practically instinctual behavior in females now.

I am in total agreement with you, skahthic. Women have been victims of horrendous crimes committed upon them and their children by men. We have to be super alert and it's an awful burden. Yes, it's true, there are some psycopathic criminally insane woman out there as well, but for the most part, women and children are victims. This has been ingrained in our psyches and I don't see it ending any time soon. When I was a kid, we could sleep out in the back yard in a tent, or walk through woods, or leave the front door unlocked. Not anymore. There are too many sickos out there and unfortunately women have to be wary in order to protect themselves and their children. It's a terrible way to have to live, and sometimes really nice guys, especially if they are strangers and it's nightime or in a remote area, don't get treated as well as they should be or could be if the world was a safer place.