Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 6:53 am

Maybe such a thing already exists, but not to my knowledge. What does everyone think: would it be beneficial to open schools exclusively for people with AS/autism? Or should we learn to function alongside NTs by having the same education as they do?

My opinion is an aspie school would be a great idea... kids wouldn't have to worry about fitting in and could be free to concentrate on pursuing their interests. They would also learn the basic fundamentals of reading/writing/etc., and how to support themselves once they were adults.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 7:27 am

there are schools just for people on the spectrum,colleges as well.

am do not think it is good for people who are very high functioning and without or with little need of support,as keeping them away from mainstream can do more harm,it would reverse some of the skills they do have,it might affect getting a job etc,it is not worth risk like it is with lower functioning MF/HFAers and aspergists,who might need support,have complex needs,have challenging behavior, and/or cannot cope in mainstream.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2007, 8:21 am

I have heard that Montessori schools provide a learning environment that is well suited to Aspies.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2007, 7:25 pm

it seems that special schools for aspies and lower functioning people is only for people with money and not available to people who dont have have autistic kids. thats hwy the health system needs to improve and equally provide services to those who cant afford it. i was accepted into a school for autistics and aspergers, btu couldnt afford the tuition. luckily now i can get services at this vocational school where they teach me basic survival skill idk what else,but i hear its good.

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2007, 2:25 am

I'd definitely like to see a special school for people with AS where they can pursue their academic interests at an accelerated pace, and more flexibility with the curriculum. Teachers should monitor the pupils to see if anything is causing problems for them and try to solve that if so. So many of us could have been child prodigies, but our potential was wasted in the school system, something that has got to change. From having our ambitions blocked all the time in school, we have given up by the time we reach adulthood, this is a great loss to mankind's progress.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 1:43 pm

I've heard of them infact my cousin used to work in a school which was for people with Autism. Also my secondary school had a unit which was just for people with Autism/Asperger Syndrome I wouldn't recomend it to anyone though it was awful.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 6:57 pm

It's great that such schools exist, but obviously they aren't very widespread or accesible.
I wonder if, as KingdomOfRats writes, it is necessary for us to be integrated into the mainstream world. If there was an AS network that could place people in government-funded jobs, such as research scientists, engineers, etc, then it shouldn't be an issue. I've read that many aspies who do independent work for companies are very successful. I know this sounds elitist, but we are special, and why shouldn't we be recognized for it?