Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 11:45 am

I've probably mentioned this somewhere else, but I'm going to type this anyway.
Is hyperkinetic disorder related to AS? I have hyperkinetic disorder, but NOT ADHD as my concentration is really good (especially on my obsessions); in fact, is there an official distinction, because I could never be ADHD, and in my medical records it says hyperkinetic. You see, I don't have many points in the day where I am not moving a part of my body in some way, and the only thing that makes me sleep 7-8 hours a night is my medication (without that I sleep five hours or less a night).

Weirdobird
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2007, 1:04 pm

I used to sleep 3-5 hours a night and it never bothered me. Then I had my second Reiki attunement and started sleeping 8 hours a night. I now sleep 6-8 hours a night on average. My partner says it is like sleeping next to a cobra sleeping next to me, but hey, it makes life interesting.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 1:14 pm

Haha! I sleep like a log, but only because of my meds. Otherwise I wake up quite a bit during the night. My friends can't keep up with sometimes, what with all my energy lol.

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2007, 5:52 pm

I believe hyperkinetic disorders are WHO's correspondence to DSM's ADHD. Seems there have been quite a few similar labels across different regions covering the same thing but not sharing each other's vocabulary. WHO's version isn't as inflated, children aren't diagnosed as arbitrarily with that as with ADHD. WHO's version matches 1.5% of boys, DSM's 10%.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 12:33 pm

I couldn't match DSM's version, as I have good concentration.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:53 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I've probably mentioned this somewhere else, but I'm going to type this anyway.
Is hyperkinetic disorder related to AS? I have hyperkinetic disorder, but NOT ADHD as my concentration is really good (especially on my obsessions); in fact, is there an official distinction, because I could never be ADHD, and in my medical records it says hyperkinetic. You see, I don't have many points in the day where I am not moving a part of my body in some way, and the only thing that makes me sleep 7-8 hours a night is my medication (without that I sleep five hours or less a night).

---

There are Four (4) ADHDs (2010). Brief history of ADHD:

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - ADHD is the current term for the lifelong neurological challenge which previously has been known as ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), Hyperactivity, Hyperkinesis, Organic Brain Syndrome, Minimal Brain Dysfunction, and Minimal Brain Damage. (Source: ADHD BB)

---

In terms of gross and fine motor control (which is a little different than the 4 ADHDs):

Hyperkinesis
Normal kinesis
Hypokinesis

---

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/