What is the biggest thing you've done to raise AS awareness?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 10:13 am

The biggest thing I've done to raise awareness for AS is try to keep a low profile in grade 9 and 10. That made people more curious about me than ever, curious about how I'd react if they picked on me... so they did. I made the mistake of telling my parents, who went to the principal and it seeped down to them, so they knew it bothered me and knew what that school was like-- that they wouldn't do anything-- and knew that they could continue! Eventually the resource teacher told the vice principal that I was autistic (not true... I'm AS) and he told my ENEMIES at school that I was autistic! UUUGH! He said that it meant that I was very smart but didn't know what to do with myself! WTF?

That and how I behaved at home and skipped school and dropped out of school twice, which my mother told her family and two coffee-shop friends about, is the most I did to bring awareness to AS! :D

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 10:50 am

I don't think that thats really raising AS awareness...

Me my mom, and my mom's friend started a group for teens/young adult aspies in my area.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 11:00 am

biggest things have done for autism awareness in general [not AS] are not that big.
at last college am went to,had to write an essae on a laptop about something and tutor said to do it on autism.
the tutor read it out to everyone,some of the tutors and support staff who did know about autism and the spectrum in general said they didn't know about some of the things am had said,and did not know about the well known people who were suspected of being on the spectrum either.
one of the tutors [am liked her a lot]-a student SN teacher who was getting experience teaching our class,was having to learn about autism as part of her course and at that time she knew nothing of autism,so she asked am if am could help her,emailed her all the info she wanted on what it's like to be autistic,and also about autism in general,it not only helped her understand autism,but helped her work with am better.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 11:27 am

wrote an essay recently about autism. Started a newletter to hand out to people in my college if they choose to take it (I don't approach them, though-I wait for them to approach me)... and I am currently working on some sort of book on how it actually is for me flipping the every day difficulties to actually explain them and discount the need for an actual cure, talking about how understanding is the best "cure" for anything of this nature...

I've only worked on this book thing so far for 2 days and have 25 pages, lol. My teacher is going to read over it for me and tell me where I might be missing an underlying thought on things, or where some of the things written may be more out of order than they seem to me... as well as looking for any words that are too foreign, to help break it down into understandable english for people, lol. Luckily, I don't think I'll have a problem with that. The wordiness is what is going to drive him nuts trying to clean up for me, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 11:36 am

I told my friends maybe I had AS. Some of them thought autism = Rainman before I explained the topic. Well, I haven't done biggest things for AS awareness, but it's a beggining :)

username88
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 1:46 pm

I dunno but I ran out of things to talk about so Im goin back to playing Age of Empires 8)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 2:16 pm

Back in January, I started an ASG at my school where little fanfare occurred thanks to a b***h who never stopped telling people of my supposed creepiness...and she was a year younger than me!

This year will be different.
I'm waiting on another more popular group to post info & then I can post info on my group.
A piece of my plan will be for the group to go on hiatus in November & come back in January.

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 5:32 pm

This is really about Dyslexia awareness ..... many years ago when I was home (ILL) I saw a chat show with ~~~~~ ( dyslexic comedian)as the main guest ...anyway , he talked for ages about his struggles growing up etc etc but did NOT mention that he was dyslexic .....I was really dissapointed as I really liked him AND he was VERY popular at the time ...( he had his own award winning weekly TV show) ...... Anyway I rang the show ...just before the end ( it was a LIVE show) and voiced my concerns to the person on the line .... anyways ten minutes later they returned my call and promised that my message had been passed onto him.

I thought no more about it until about a year or so later when I was on the BDA website and was flabberghasted to see that HE had BECOME one of their MAIN patrons/ spokespeople ! !!

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 7:42 pm

I auti-fied my myspace profile. If you click on any of the autism stuff, it takes you to a link that discusses something related to Autism or Asperger's. I plan on participating in the Austism Awareness walk next year. I would have this year but there's not enough time for me to raise anywhere near the kind of donations I'd like to raise.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 1:57 am

I joined this place, and I have been buying books to read, and getting advice from a friend.

Once I'm ed-u-mi-cated about AS, I can wade out among the masses and go proselytize to the poor & ignorant! :D