How much does a NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL evaluation for AS cost?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:46 am

Mw99 wrote:
This time around, I'm bypassing the therapists, the psychologists and the psychiatrists, and going straight to a neuropsychologist who can give me a neuropsychological evaluation to determine whether I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome or some other pervasive developmental disorder.

How much does a neuropsychological evaluation usually cost? How long does it usually take? How many sessions?

I need to know once and for all if I am a true aspie or just an NT with aspie-like traits. (I'm hoping I am an aspie, because I think, act and feel just like an aspie.)

While we are at it, does anyone know if health insurance companies normally cover this type of testing?

I was told a neuropsych eval would cost $130 per hour. My insurance company initially refused to pay for the testing, so I thought I would have to pay out of pocket. Because my income is so low, they agreed to charge me their lowest rate which is $52/hour (still pretty steep for me). My insurance company ended up paying for it after all though, fortunately. It took 2 sessions of 2 hours each, so 4 hours in total. If we'd known originally that the insurance company would pay, the testing probably would have been more extensive, but they were trying to save me money by doing the minimum number of tests that they thought would provide a diagnosis. I got tested for NLD, by the way, not AS, although they called it a differential diagnosis of NLD vs. AS.

I don't think there are definitive tests to look for AS by the way. They can see if you have deficits in visuo-processing, spatial processing, executive functioning, visual memory etc., but to make a diagnosis of AS they're going to want to know about behavior and development.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 7:02 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Mw99 wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Mw99 wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Health Insurance usually stops benefits for Autism or neurological issues at 6 years of age.

Usually? What are the rare cases when they cover neurological issues for adults?

I don't care. If I have to pay money out of my own pockets to get a neuropsychological evaluation, I'm willing to take the plunge.

sorry, some insurance companies pay neurological benefits to age 8.

Merle

my bad

wouldn't they at least cover the initial diagnosis?

up to age 6 and sometimes age 8. Insurance companies knows there is no 'cure'. If you have mental illness or psychosis that is a different benefit, but for Autism Spectrum. . .none after ages 6 or 8

That's interesting. I talked to a neuropsychologist this morning and I inquired about the cost of a neuropsychological evaluation. $3000, and he told me he accepted my health insurance.

It's strange that he mentioned that he accepted my health insurance, isn't it, especially since health insurance companies - by your own admission- don't pay neuropsychological "benefits" for adults?

Do you think he was being deceitful?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 10:48 pm

it all depends on how he bills it, and he knows it

it's probably not 'deceitful' as much as it is 'creative'

today I was looking up how we (Blue Cross Blue Shield) paid for ADD diagnosis. There it was, Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Kinners. . all in the exceptions to benefits list, and diagnosis only for those under 6 years old.

your milage may vary. . .

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2007, 10:59 pm

Mm. My life experience makes me wary about making one's aspieness a matter of official public record. I agree that it is nice to know officially but maybe I would get the report and pay out of pocket so insurers wouldn't discriminate against me.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:55 pm

CeriseLy wrote:
Mm. My life experience makes me wary about making one's aspieness a matter of official public record. I agree that it is nice to know officially but maybe I would get the report and pay out of pocket so insurers wouldn't discriminate against me.

I think your caution is well founded in fact and good sense.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 12:38 am

Mw99 wrote:
That's interesting. I talked to a neuropsychologist this morning and I inquired about the cost of a neuropsychological evaluation. $3000, and he told me he accepted my health insurance.

It's strange that he mentioned that he accepted my health insurance, isn't it, especially since health insurance companies - by your own admission- don't pay neuropsychological "benefits" for adults?

Do you think he was being deceitful?

Since coverage depends on the particular insurance company, I'd assume that he would at least want to submit the paperwork and see what they say. Just because he will accept your insurance company isn't a guarantee that the insurance company will pay.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 7:26 pm

sinsbodly, do you have the link (I suppose you looked this up online) to the page that says AS diagnoses are not covered under the health insurance plan you mentioned?

sinsboldly wrote:
CeriseLy wrote:

I think your caution is well founded in fact and good sense.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one around here who is paranoid. I love you guys :)

I can picture myself arguing about this with an NT, and the NT trying to convince me that I'm nuts for being logical!