How much does a NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL evaluation for AS cost?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 9:19 pm

This time around, I'm bypassing the therapists, the psychologists and the psychiatrists, and going straight to a neuropsychologist who can give me a neuropsychological evaluation to determine whether I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome or some other pervasive developmental disorder.

How much does a neuropsychological evaluation usually cost? How long does it usually take? How many sessions?

I need to know once and for all if I am a true aspie or just an NT with aspie-like traits. (I'm hoping I am an aspie, because I think, act and feel just like an aspie.)

While we are at it, does anyone know if health insurance companies normally cover this type of testing?

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 9:45 pm

Never had it done. It sounds like a good idea. Check the Yellow Pages. You should be able to contact neurologists in your area for their charges and check with your insurance company to see which ones are covered.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2007, 9:54 pm

You've just given me the information I've been looking for. I'm going to ask my therapist about this next time I see her. So far in my search, I have not been able to determine how exactly AS is diagnosed. Thank you. And sorry I can't answer you're question, but if I hear anything good from my therapist I'll let you know.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 9:58 pm

Health Insurance usually stops benefits for Autism or neurological issues at 6 years of age.

At least they don't see it as a 'disease'.

and why do people say they "suffer" from Asperger's Syndrome??

what's up with that??

Merle

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 9:59 pm

jnet wrote:
You've just given me the information I've been looking for. I'm going to ask my therapist about this next time I see her. So far in my search, I have not been able to determine how exactly AS is diagnosed. Thank you. And sorry I can't answer you're question, but if I hear anything good from my therapist I'll let you know.

jnet, your therapist might be reluctant to send you to see a neuropsychologist, for the obvious reasons.

Go to http://www.aspergers.com/asplist.htm to find a neuropsychologist in your area. You don't need your therapist's permission to go see one.

Last edited by Mw99 on 01 Oct 2007, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2007, 9:59 pm

Mw99 wrote:
jnet wrote:

jnet, your therapist might be reluctant to send you to see a neuropsychologist, for the obvious reasons.

Go to http://www.aspergers.com/asplist.htm to find a neuropsychologist in your area.

What are the obvious reasons?

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 10:03 pm

jnet wrote:
Mw99 wrote:
jnet wrote:

Go to http://www.aspergers.com/asplist.htm to find a neuropsychologist in your area.

Your therapist makes a living talking to patients. Why would he/she want to lose you to some other mental health professional? Actually, you might go see a neuropsychologist and still continue to see your therapist. In that case, ignore what I said. But you don't need your therapists permission to go see a neuropsychologist. You should ask his/her opinion, but not his/her permission.

Last edited by Mw99 on 01 Oct 2007, 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 10:07 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Health Insurance usually stops benefits for Autism or neurological issues at 6 years of age.

Usually? What are the rare cases when they cover neurological issues for adults?

I don't care. If I have to pay money out of my own pockets to get a neuropsychological evaluation, I'm willing to take the plunge.

Last edited by Mw99 on 01 Oct 2007, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Mw99 wrote:
jnet wrote:
Mw99 wrote:
jnet wrote:

Your therapist makes a living talking to patients. Why would he/she want to lose you to some other mental health professional? Actually, you might go see a neuropsychologist and still continue going to your therapy sessions. Ignore what I told you then. But you don't need your therapists permission to go see a neuropsychologist. Who cares what your therapist thinks?

I'm merely hoping to glean information from her about who I might see in this area. I do plan to continue seeing her as she's been a big help. And this is probably rare, but I had a pyschiatrist who referred me to a different psychiatrist bc she believed it was in my best interest to do so, even though it meant one less patient for her. There's a lot of bad ones out there, but I have managed to find a good one, and both my current therapist and psychiatrist work in the same office collaboratively.

Last edited by jnet on 01 Oct 2007, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

sinsboldly wrote:
and why do people say they "suffer" from Asperger's Syndrome??

what's up with that??

Merle

Well, a few of us thought it would be funny to play a little joke on "the establishment". Maybe it wasn't such a good idea, after all. :roll:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 10:26 pm

Mw99 wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Usually? What are the rare cases when they cover neurological issues for adults?

I don't care. If I have to pay money out of my own pockets to get a neuropsychological evaluation, I'm willing to take the plunge.

sorry, some insurance companies pay neurological benefits to age 8.

Merle

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 10:46 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Mw99 wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

my bad

wouldn't they at least cover the initial diagnosis?

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2007, 10:48 pm

yep

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 11:10 pm

Mw99 wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Mw99 wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

my bad

wouldn't they at least cover the initial diagnosis?

up to age 6 and sometimes age 8. Insurance companies knows there is no 'cure'. If you have mental illness or psychosis that is a different benefit, but for Autism Spectrum. . .none after ages 6 or 8

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 1:04 am

no clue about your area, in mine I can get assessed for anything I want for $350 a pop on a sliding scale fee...

I'm my own guinea pig.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:46 am

Mw99 wrote:
This time around, I'm bypassing the therapists, the psychologists and the psychiatrists, and going straight to a neuropsychologist who can give me a neuropsychological evaluation to determine whether I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome or some other pervasive developmental disorder.

How much does a neuropsychological evaluation usually cost? How long does it usually take? How many sessions?

I need to know once and for all if I am a true aspie or just an NT with aspie-like traits. (I'm hoping I am an aspie, because I think, act and feel just like an aspie.)

While we are at it, does anyone know if health insurance companies normally cover this type of testing?

I was told a neuropsych eval would cost $130 per hour. My insurance company initially refused to pay for the testing, so I thought I would have to pay out of pocket. Because my income is so low, they agreed to charge me their lowest rate which is $52/hour (still pretty steep for me). My insurance company ended up paying for it after all though, fortunately. It took 2 sessions of 2 hours each, so 4 hours in total. If we'd known originally that the insurance company would pay, the testing probably would have been more extensive, but they were trying to save me money by doing the minimum number of tests that they thought would provide a diagnosis. I got tested for NLD, by the way, not AS, although they called it a differential diagnosis of NLD vs. AS.

I don't think there are definitive tests to look for AS by the way. They can see if you have deficits in visuo-processing, spatial processing, executive functioning, visual memory etc., but to make a diagnosis of AS they're going to want to know about behavior and development.