Lazy Eye, Strabismus, Optic Nerve Hypoplasia, etc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Congenital Lazy Eye, Surgically Corrected
Congenital Lazy Eye, Corrected With Eyeglasses 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Congenital Lazy Eye, Not Corrected 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Optic Nerve Hypoplasia 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Lazy Eye (I don't know what caused it) 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
No Lazy Eye 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 1:33 pm

Just wondering how many have any form of lazy eye condition? It seems I've noticed a few in conversations on the forums. Since some forms of lazy eye have a brain component (such as Optic Nerve Hypoplasia) I was curious if there is a connection with Autism.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 2:18 pm

I didn't have a lazy eye, but I heard that my father had a lazy eye that was corrected in some way. I believe that he was an Aspie, but I don't know for sure since he's been dead for a long time.

Last edited by Belle77 on 04 Oct 2007, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 2:20 pm

Strabismus here. I had surgery when I was very little, but my left eye does tend to "wonder" a little bit. I can focus using either of them, and I have limited depth perception.

Did I mention that I'm learning to drive?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 2:24 pm

is lazy eye the same thing as squint? if so,sister had that,she had an operation to get rid of it when she was younger at the royal eye hospital.
don't have eye problems as such,apart from standard stuff,eg,not seeing too well close up.

NUTLOG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2007, 3:50 pm

I have a lazy eye. My right eyelid used to be much lower than the left, with inferior vision. Used to wear glasses when I was very young, then I got annoyed with them and stopped. After that my eye improved of it's own accord, although the problems persist to this day, they are less pronounced than before.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2007, 3:56 pm

Well, my eyes are sort of set in different places within the socket. One looks at what I'm looking at, one looks a little askew. I'm not sure if it's a medical condition though. I basically have 20/20 vision, slightly farsighted.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 4:06 pm

I have an astigmatism, was put through the hell of having to wear pink NHS glasses at school, then found out when I talked to the optician myself as teen that there was no point anyway as the eye would not get better, other eye is perfect but was having to look through blank lens so it is better to just use one good eye. If I wear glasses now I see double as my brain can't put two images together, also everything moves slightly due to binocular vision and I bump into stuff worse.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 4:19 pm

Im farsighted and photophobic but otherwise eyes are fine.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

ChelseaOcean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2007, 4:20 pm

Unless they've changed the definition, all lazy eye (amblyopia) is entirely neurological, since amblyopia refers to brain's ignoring the signal coming from one of the eyes, leading to the atrophy of the optic nerve and/or vision centers of the brain.

Many physical conditions can *cause* amblyopia (strabismus being the best-known), and some of them can be corrected surgically, but the only way to correct amblyopia itself is with vision therapy exercises that force the person to rely only on the "lazy" eye. These exercises can be helpful at any age, but only up to about age 6 can the vision be made completely normal again.

My lazy eye was detected too late to cure it (even though I was only 4, but it was too late anyway) and to this day (25 years later) my best corrected [that is, with the most accurate contacts/glasses prescription they can make] vision in that eye is 20/70 because what I see out of that eye quite simply doesn't make sense. Like if I cover my good eye and try to read, I can't just see a word and read it, I have to think about the shape of each letter and then put the letters together like I did when I was a small child, and I get a headache very quickly from doing so.

My sister also had one but they caught it at age 2½ and corrected it, and she's got great vision today, although she needs glasses for reading.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 4:24 pm

I do not have a lazy eye, but my youngest son does. The optometrist said that when there are developmental delays present (such as autism) it's very often that the eyes are affected, too. Mostly being farsighted. That is what causes my son's eye to turn in. When he tries to focus on something that's close up to his face the muscle strains which causes his left eye to turn in toward his nose. He needs to wear glasses to help correct his vision, or else this will probably be permanent. Trying to get a severely autistic 3 yo to keep glasses on is almost impossible.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 6:21 pm

WOW! I have known FEW with lazy eye. I had a droopy eyelid. I pretty much still do.(The tendin that operates my right eyelid is too long.) The coloring in my eyes is odd. Other than that, the differences(far sighted with astigmatism) are normal.