Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 1:36 pm

I heard something that Autistic people yawn less and the more severe their Autism the less they yawn?

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2018, 1:38 pm

I yawn a lot more than most. I am horrible at time management so I study late at night and am sleepy as a result. And then, perhaps due to Asperger, I don't find anything embarassing about yawing so I am not stopping myself from doing so (even though my mom tells me to cover my mouth and things like that when she sees it).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 2:47 pm

Where on Earth did you hear that?

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2018, 2:57 pm

In one respect this would make sense, as there has been research conducted that suggests yawning is contagious: that is to say, when 1 person yawns and someone else sees it, they are more likely to yawn, suggesting that it is some kind of subconscious social reaction. And seeing as though those of us on the spectrum usually have a hard time with social ques, we might have an "immunity," to yawning out of reaction to others around us yawning?

Me personally, I yawn more than normal, but I'm just one data point...

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 2:58 pm

I have yawn attacks very often when I'm tired, or even when I'm not really tired so it must be boredom or a lack of oxygen or something, and when I do they are often so big I'm worried people will make cringey comments, like about how they can see what I ate. :roll: I read somewhere that we're less contagious to yawning and I always seem to make other people catch my yawning but not so much the other way around. It's from our supposed "lack of empathy" or some bs.

Just typing this made me yawn. But I'm an aspie and therefore "not really autistic" (sarcasm), so...

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2018, 3:59 pm

Nope, I am a major Yawner. I don't need someone to start me off.

Last edited by nephets on 24 Apr 2018, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 4:05 pm

I yawn as much as the average person. Those reporters are payed to look intelligent so they write up stories and add their made up sources.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 4:23 pm

I yawn all the time, but I also have a sleep disorder that causes me to be tired a lot.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 4:28 pm

There’s no basis for this. Let’s not spread unnecessary rumors. Although, I’ve heard autistics are more likely to eat s’mores.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 1:47 am

I used to yawn a lot, but it has lessened now that I've changed my diet, so maybe it was partly because I lacked vitamins or something... but well, I've never understood the whole "catch someone else's yawning" -thing, maybe that's an autism thing? Maybe we seem to yawn less than average if we don't repeat it if someone else does it?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 10:09 am

I yawn quite a bit. Tiredness, boredom, trying to pay attention, they all make yawn.

I only catch yawning when I identify with someone. I catch it from my mother and when reading these kinds of threads here. I'm yawning right now, but I didn't before I saw this thread.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 12:08 pm

I don't know how much the average person yawns, but I'm tired a lot, so I yawn a fair bit.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 12:18 pm

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
I yawn a lot more than most. I am horrible at time management so I study late at night and am sleepy as a result. And then, perhaps due to Asperger, I don't find anything embarassing about yawing so I am not stopping myself from doing so (even though my mom tells me to cover my mouth and things like that when she sees it).

I'm the same. I yawn more than most people around me from what I can tell. I am pretty exhausted by early afternoon and cannot stop yawning! Sometimes I think it may be somewhat habitual.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 12:44 pm

Zachwashere wrote:
In one respect this would make sense, as there has been research conducted that suggests yawning is contagious: that is to say, when 1 person yawns and someone else sees it, they are more likely to yawn, suggesting that it is some kind of subconscious social reaction. And seeing as though those of us on the spectrum usually have a hard time with social ques, we might have an "immunity," to yawning out of reaction to others around us yawning?

Me personally, I yawn more than normal, but I'm just one data point...

Why Some Autistic Kids Don’t Catch Yawns

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 12:52 pm

No, but I "heard somewhere" that autistic people are more likely to wear blue underwear while travelling up north on a Tuesday to ride green rollercoasters and eat strawberry ice-creams.

Now that's random.

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2018, 2:53 pm

I yawn a lot, even my pets yawning makes me yawn.