Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rob_Somebody
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2008, 4:08 am

My mom and family members told me i used to have a "New Yorkers" accent (in spite of me ever knowing anyone from New York) till i reached the age of 7 and then it gradually dissipated as i got older, my question is this: Does anyone else have a experience like this? Is it just me?

But the face stays painted on for everyone to gaze upon
continuing the bad dream till he wakes up gone.

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jan 2008, 4:24 am

Mine would change. But I think it tended to be more British and I live in California. Go figure.... Occasionally that pops up now and I do say a few words like upstate NY but that is where my husband is from and although he lost his accent as a teen (on purpose) some pops out.

Existential
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2008, 4:52 am

Rob_Somebody wrote:
My mom and family members told me i used to have a "New Yorkers" accent (in spite of me ever knowing anyone from New York) till i reached the age of 7 and then it gradually dissipated as i got older, my question is this: Does anyone else have a experience like this? Is it just me?

Yes, I can relate to this. I had always pronounced words such as "girls" as "geeeuls," for example. Around the age of 10 I lost the accent completely. My accent traits now are nothing like they were when I was younger. I have a very deep monotone voice now, at the age of 24. When I hear recordings of myself, I cringe, yet my voice as my mind perceives it naturally when I speak sounds "normal."

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 4:54 am

I'm Canadian, I was born and raised Canadian and was only out of Canada once, for a vacation, but I've used a British accent, a black (dunno from where exactly) accent, a Latin (Spanish mostly) accent, a Slavic (mostly Polish) accent... Oh, and of coursea French accent!

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2008, 6:15 am

I find myself changing how I sound too. It may be the chameleon in me that is always trying to fit into a situation by pretending to be normal... It's like I chose a role that somehow might work or I try to blend in with people... somewhat like an alien descended onto another planet? I just doesn't understand the other inhabitants of the planet all too well.. "wrong planet"?? ha! yeah...

It can really backfire if I chose the wrong role though.... ouch... I'm not good at that really and now, I just try to be myself more...

Nothingness
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2008, 6:44 am

i would speak like i was from the north of the country (sweden) and im from the south of it... somewhere when i was 6-8yrs old it disapeared almost totally. i still speak alittle different (im 14 now) to the other people around here. and ive never known or talked to anyone from the north so...... quite strange.

Immured
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2008, 7:11 am

Definitely. I was always asked about my accent whenever I spoke during my childhood and teens. I had a strong midwestern accent when speaking casually to closest people that they thought sounded almost southern American. But when speaking in class or somewhere more formal, my accent must have sounded truly foreign because others kept asking me to repeat myself, not understanding me. The interesting thing is, that I really enjoyed voice acting, attempting to sound like the characters when reading aloud in English class, but hated speaking otherwise.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 7:22 am

Robot here since 13 or so. I mimicked the voices of fictional characters I liked prior to that.

All with an Australian accent lurking in the background.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 7:29 am

I would sometimes speak with either a British or a TV accent.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:31 am

Nothingness wrote:
i would speak like i was from the north of the country (sweden) and im from the south of it... somewhere when i was 6-8yrs old it disapeared almost totally. i still speak alittle different (im 14 now) to the other people around here. and ive never known or talked to anyone from the north so...... quite strange.

Wow strange, since the difference between northern and southern Swedish is quite big. (been in the north and had practiced on southern swedish, damn)

But when I was younger I could easily swith accents from a nortern Dutch accent to a southern accent. Now I am older I just stick with the Northern accent, it has some job advantages (people from the northern Netherlands have a reputation of a better working ethos with some employers)

My English is quite British, but that is probably for watching BBC and Sky in stead of the American series.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:37 am

There HAVE been times when I have said things with an odd accent. It is kind of wierd, but that IS unusual for me.

As for pronunciation, I EARLY picked what I liked best, and stuck to it. I also sometimes pronounce the names of foreign places with their respective accents! Hamburg, Frankfurt, etc... Heck, I may even pronounce copenhagen as koobenhown ewur(My danish accent is better than that, but that is approximately the right way)

MOST people here pronounce aunt as ant! I pronounce it the OTHER way with the au sounding like the ou in ought. But that was CHOICE! I STILL remember deciding to pronounce it that way.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:59 am

Asterisp wrote:
Nothingness wrote:

Wow strange, since the difference between northern and southern Swedish is quite big. (been in the north and had practiced on southern swedish, damn)

But when I was younger I could easily swith accents from a nortern Dutch accent to a southern accent. Now I am older I just stick with the Northern accent, it has some job advantages (people from the northern Netherlands have a reputation of a better working ethos with some employers)

My English is quite British, but that is probably for watching BBC and Sky in stead of the American series.

SHOOT! It's THAT difficult, huh? I was toying with learning urdu because it is SO close to hindi. I was toying with learning norwegian and swedish because they are so close to danish. Of course, Swedish is less similar than norwegian.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:07 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
SHOOT! It's THAT difficult, huh? I was toying with learning urdu because it is SO close to hindi. I was toying with learning norwegian and swedish because they are so close to danish. Of course, Swedish is less similar than norwegian.

Well, I am not a wonder with languages and I was a bit surprised by the difference in pronunciation. Reading different Scandinavian languages is not such a problem; that was easy. After a month I could understand the big lines from pieces written in the papers.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:11 am

My normal accent shifts about a bit depending on my mood, any attelmpt at a foreign accent comes out as another accent.
I spoke french with an italian accent for about 5 years before realising. :D

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2008, 10:40 am

My systems pick up accents like they are breath's of air. Its just because my autism allows me to record the sounds I hear and till I got older I could reproduce them flawlessly. I can still reproduce sounds that fall into my vocal range. I like accents. I use cues such as accents to recognise people since I have no hope of knowing them by their faces. When you lose the ability to recognise people by faces you compenstate by paying extra attention to clothing, color, hair style, accents and any other pattern that uniquely identify a person in your life. Autistic's are store houses of patterns and if we like a specific patterns most autistics have the ability to script it so it can be used in daily life. I do this consciously maybe other autistics do this unconsciously.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:46 am

I would do impersonations when I was young. No one said anything about my having an accent that I recall. Except my mom. When we moved to England I picked up an English accent, probably to try to fit in better at primary school. When my mom pointed out that I didn't sound American anymore, I sounded English, I denied it and tried to do an American accent, but botched it.

I've lost the English accent :cry: Now people say I sound like a New Yorker.