Does your brain go faster than your mouth/hands?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2007, 4:11 pm

Yes, all the time. Then again, sometimes I can't even get full words to come out of my mouth and I sound ridiculous and I have to just stop trying to talk for awhile. My brain is always 'on' and it is definitely going faster than my mouth.

nerefir
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 4:26 pm

Yes, me too. I will make several connections that are not being made and make a joke about something totally unrelated to the conversation.

caffeine_demon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2007, 5:49 pm

Sometimes happens with my speach, but also happens with my hand and leg coordination

SoupChef
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2007, 6:19 pm

I tend to stumble over my words sometimes, mispronouncing things and garbling my words. I think I talk a little too fast.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

27 Nov 2007, 6:40 pm

Hmm; this seems like a pretty consistent trend so far; I'll also jump in and say there's a definite asynchronisity betwixt my mouth and my brain, and that, yes, my mouth has trouble keeping up.

In my youth, my mother used to often berate me for "speaking too quickly"; this used to confuse me to a great degree, because I thought the way I spoke was at a reasonable speed; but in retrospect I was (and am) a bit of a speed demon when it came to talking.

I'm probably still like that, more than a bit; when I get rolling, I'm rolling; but as I've aged, the asynchronisity has seemingly become more pronounced; I've begun stuttering, and stammering quite a bit, which is annoying, because it feels like the gears in my brain are slipping. :? I wonder if this is similar to the "slurring" effect several have mentioned.

Good fortune,

- Icarus can't say the alphabet backwards, even when sober...

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 6:40 pm

Yes. Especially when writing. I tend to be thinking way ahead of where I'm typing. As a result I'm always agonizing over my words and struggling to organize my thoughts. When I have to write essays I can spend an hour on a single paragraph. It's so annoying. I can have all my ideas pre-constructed in my head, yet I can't efficiently put them down in paragraph format. Still, the problem is even worse with speaking when things have to be said in real time. Then my brain just shuts down and I don't say anything.

My biggest problem is that my thoughts are not always linear. They're more like a tree with different ideas branching out. Writing and talking constrains thoughts to be displayed in a specific order which can cause confusion in my brain. It isn't perfectly natural to me to communicate this way. I tend to think that my writing style is choppy, overly terse, and logical compared to other peoples writing. I can never be as passionate or verbose sounding as other people who have similar intelligence.

I also have this annoying problem where I don't always have the right words at the top of my head to accurately describe what I want to say. I'll know exactly what I want to say but I won't be sure of the word to use. I use the online dictionary and thesaurus all the time when I'm writing because I never have the words I want right off the cuff. My inability to spell without spell check also drives me nuts. Everything I write has to go through the word processor spell check and I end up spending several minutes correcting my spelling errors before I can post anything

Last edited by marshall on 27 Nov 2007, 7:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

englishwolf
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2007, 6:43 pm

Scary, you just described me perfectly.
My mouth is fast but it just can't keep up with my brain. I end up thinking so fast that I forget how I got to the current thought when i take a breath and have to work things backwards to get to where i was ages ago mentally but not yet at verbally. It gets frustrating when I then can't remember what i was going to say even though I know it was something good/relevant.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 7:03 pm

My brain goes faster than my mouth/hands. It was very frustrating when I was younger being smart around stupid slow people and they thought I was the stupid slow one because I never did anything right, but that was because it was too slow for me; I couldn't!

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 7:16 pm

Yes. I talk to fast because of it and this often results in speech cluttering and stuttering.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Nov 2007, 7:46 pm

OMG...I do that all the time because I am so easily distracted. Then I have to have someone remind me of the last things that were said before I got off track so that I can find my train of thought again.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2007, 7:55 pm

Yup, I'm always ahead. While it's normal for the brain to go faster than speech, other people have pointed out this trait in me as a form of mild criticisim: impatience and general acceleration.
. . . and I do talk fast and my thoughts sometimes run over what I'm trying to say in that "C" hijacks my attention while I'm saying "A". I have to stop and start from scrath with separate statements - with pauses between them and words like then and because.

I think it's an ADD trait.

marshall wrote:
As a result I'm always agonizing over my words and struggling to organize my thoughts. When I have to write essays I can spend an hour on a single paragraph. It's so annoying. I can have all my ideas pre-constructed in my head, yet I can't efficiently put them down in paragraph format. Still, the problem is even worse with speaking when things have to be said in real time.
[...]
My biggest problem is that my thoughts are not always linear. They're more like a tree with different ideas branching out. Writing and talking constrains thoughts to be displayed in a specific order which can cause confusion in my brain. It isn't perfectly natural to me to communicate this way. I tend to think that my writing style is choppy, overly terse, and logical compared to other peoples writing.
[...]
I also have this annoying problem where I don't always have the right words at the top of my head to accurately describe what I want to say. I'll know exactly what I want to say but I won't be sure of the word to use. I use the online dictionary and thesaurus all the time when I'm writing because I never have the words I want right off the cuff.

I share those traits I quoted.
I was going to post about seeing my thoughts as exploding in different directions.
I spend a lot of time when writing rather short things; measuring each word and using online dictionaries to be sure of definitions. I also use the online dictionary for spellchecking a lot of specific words.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2007, 11:16 am

I think that happens to me too. I often forget what I mean to say, and when the thoughts form in my head when people say things, I have to say them out loud immediately, otherwise I'll forget what I want to say. I consider myself to have a fast approach to everything. I always try to do things as quickly and as efficiently as possible, but to the point where I might end up taking too long looking for a short path, or get stuck with considering one option too much (that's probably the result of my left brain though).

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 11:33 am

I've been accused of having a motorized mouth and yet still it cannot keep pace with my brain.

When I described this (to a psychiatrist) as having trouble translating into words quickly enough to keep pace with my thoughts, the psych seemed very skeptical about this although I cannot see why. I thought everyone had this issue at least some of the time, but she (they psychiatrist) seemed to react as though she found it a very odd claim.

Maybe I just misinterpreted her reaction...

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 2:14 pm

CaptainWill wrote:
I can't sort out my writing though - I'm constantly thinking way ahead of myself when I'm writing, and sometimes I find that because I've been thinking about a particular word I'm going to write a bit later, I've actually half-written one word and merged it with the word I was thinking about. My handwriting is a terrible mess.

I do that in speech too! Or deciding between different vocabulary words and you wind up with a mincemeat of two or three words that you're choosing from.

Yet, I've often been teased for my slow, clear articulate speech - like an educated ret*d. :roll:

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2007, 2:16 pm

Pretty much, and something similar.
My brain's processor is much slower than my mind's production of ideas. Therefore I can't process them into what is appropriate or inappropriate and often say the wrong thing.

ingenue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2007, 3:30 am

That's why I will never can be a teacher because mouth always betray me. I also have tendency to say something the opposite from my mind. When I want to say "sir" but the word that spill out from my mouth is "maam". :x