Does your brain go faster than your mouth/hands?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ingenue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2007, 3:30 am

That's why I will never can be a teacher because mouth always betray me. I also have tendency to say something the opposite from my mind. When I want to say "sir" but the word that spill out from my mouth is "maam". :x

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 12:17 pm

Has anyone ever meant to say one thing, only to say another, and then be accused of lying later on when what really happened was that you couldn't think of the correct word or phrase to describe what you wanted, and/or didn't want to spend 1 minute + to think of what it is you precisely wanted to say so went with something similar(but still not entirely correct) instead?

mtmomma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2007, 1:34 pm

9CatMom wrote:
Yes. Sometimes I speak well, other times I sound really dumb.

me too!!

If I'm really sleepy I sound slurred & talk backwards or get what I want to say all mixed up... same happens when I'm past the point of mad also.

hip66
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2007, 2:06 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Often times, I will be engaged in a conversation, when all of a sudden I will forget what I'm talking about mid-sentence. (This is easier to hide on an internet forum because the post doesn't appear until you hit "submit") I personally think that this happens because my brain thinks about ideas so quickly, that by the time the words are coming out of my mouth, I'm already three ideas ahead of what I'm talking about. If I get far enough ahead, I forget what I was going to say now.

Anyone else experience this?

--------------
Yes, this happens to me all of the time. How many times, during a conservation, I will stumble over my words or come to a grinding halt and have to say something like, "Please excuse me. I'm thinking about three different things at the same time...."

Kurtz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2007, 10:04 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
Has anyone ever meant to say one thing, only to say another, and then be accused of lying later on when what really happened was that you couldn't think of the correct word or phrase to describe what you wanted, and/or didn't want to spend 1 minute + to think of what it is you precisely wanted to say so went with something similar(but still not entirely correct) instead?

I did that once - I call it "my entire life" :)

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:29 pm

Does your brain go faster than your mouth/hands?

Yes.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:35 pm

Mine too. When I a typing, my brain is thinking faster and I make errors and skip words every now and then.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 5:00 pm

Yes

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 5:01 pm

By a long shot.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 7:29 pm

Yes. I remember when Wrath from Fullmetal Alchemist said his body couldn't keep up with his mind, I had to agree there. Except he's 60 years old, whereas I'm not.

Kind of irritating sometimes. I see all these options, but my body is too slow or not skilled enough to do most of them.

harobed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2010, 8:25 am

I'm so glad/relieved someone brought this up and so many responses. I thought it was just me - you the kind of "it's only me b/e I have a brain tumor or something!"

I probably finish about 2/3's of my sentences and then I'm on to something else. My family says it's impossible to have a conversation with me.

I"M NOT the only one........ thank you for this.

H. :o

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 12:37 pm

Yes this is one of the things that really bugs people who know me. I used to try to tell people at work how to compute certain entitlements and input them (I'm a former finance person) and I would be thinking ahead of my speaking, so I would constantly stop in mid sentence, basically giving a speech full of half sentences- drove them crazy and I understand why! I also had to stop my daughter from trying to finish my sentences when she was 5 or 6. Every time I trailed off she would suggest the ending and it never was what I was trying to say at all, LOL. I had to make her stop it so I wouldn't go crazy and she wouldn't do that to other people.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 12:40 pm

Yes this is one of the things that really bugs people who know me. I used to try to tell people at work how to compute certain entitlements and input them (I'm a former finance person) and I would be thinking ahead of my speaking, so I would constantly stop in mid sentence, basically giving a speech full of half sentences- drove them crazy and I understand why! I also had to stop my daughter from trying to finish my sentences when she was 5 or 6. Every time I trailed off she would suggest the ending and it never was what I was trying to say at all, LOL. I had to make her stop it so I wouldn't go crazy and she wouldn't do that to other people.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 12:44 pm