Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

02 Dec 2007, 4:08 am

Yesterday I was talking to one of my online aspie friends and he said he had to "brb" and left and was back few minutes later and said "back." I asked him "Where did I go?" instead of "Where did u go?" Luckily he knew what I meant because he pointed out to me I messed up on "I" as well because it should be "you". I had "dod" for did you I typed "did*" for the correct spelling. I hate it when I do mistypes and hate it when I type "I" for "you" or "you" for "I" so as a joke I said "I did a kanner thing lol".

But I don't say "I" for "you" in real life nor "You" for "I" but only happens sometimes online instead but it did happen one time with my ex back in February. It was embarrassing.

Anyone else do that on IM?

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 4:14 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Yesterday I was talking to one of my online aspie friends and he said he had to "brb" and left and was back few minutes later and said "back." I asked him "Where did I go?" instead of "Where did u go?" Luckily he knew what I meant because he pointed out to me I messed up on "I" as well because it should be "you". I had "dod" for did you I typed "did*" for the correct spelling. I hate it when I do mistypes and hate it when I type "I" for "you" or "you" for "I" so as a joke I said "I did a kanner thing lol".

But I don't say "I" for "you" in real life nor "You" for "I" but only happens sometimes online instead but it did happen one time with my ex back in February. It was embarrassing.

Anyone else do that on IM?

I have messed up like that but I usually realize my mistake and correct it quickly aftewards. I agree with you, it's embarrassing.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 4:23 am

I do it in "real life"; it's not embarrassing at all.

"I" and "u" are close on the keyboard, it's easy to make such a mistake; it's usually the pronoun to begin a sentence that's affected with me. Me am tired, as well as third person, Daniel is tired. I prefer to use "me" to "I", "me" comes naturally, I also prefer to use "us" to "we"; us are going out.

It doesn't really transpose over my writing as I learnt to write "correctly" with many a mummy hours spent on me.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 6:39 am

Shouldn't you have typed "You did a Kanner thing" then? You know, to enhance the lulz.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 6:45 am

I do it in real life quite often. It doesn't embarrass me.
Once, when I was talking to a friend, I accidentally pointed to myself and said "You're you" then pointed to her and said "and I'm me". She found it most amusing.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

02 Dec 2007, 9:01 am

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
Shouldn't you have typed "You did a Kanner thing" then? You know, to enhance the lulz.

Stupid question from a newbie for his own edification: what's a 'Kanner thing'? And what does 'lulz' mean?
And, yeah, I've done that. I think I may have done this out loud once or twice.

Jett
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2007, 9:21 am

I do that a lot IRL and often have to correct it online if I see it (where there is an edit).

I often say "they" instead of "we" even if the latter applies better.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 9:49 am

duncansbass wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:

Stupid question from a newbie for his own edification: what's a 'Kanner thing'? And what does 'lulz' mean?
And, yeah, I've done that. I think I may have done this out loud once or twice.

Kanner came up with a more affected type(aka CLASSIC) autism, as opposed to the less affected Aspergers. Still, I think the pronoun misuse is supposed to be somewhat common in aspies also. I don't think I ever had the problem, but some here have.

LULZ can mean boredom, dead air, or amusement.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 10:41 am

I hate when I make typos. It's very embarrassing to me.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 11:49 am

9CatMom wrote:
I hate when I make typos. It's very embarrassing to me.

I'm like that, too. Maybe we are that way because we are insecure and don't want people to think we are not too intelligent.

02 Dec 2007, 2:11 pm

Danielismyname and Who am I, how come you guys aren't embarrassed when you mix words up?

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

02 Dec 2007, 8:41 pm

I hate typos, and obsessively read everything I write to avoid them. My grammar must be perfect, my spelling immaculate, and I am very embarassed by anything that anyone sees that is anything less than that (colloquialism and slang excepted). It is definitely that I don't want to be seen as less than intelligent.
Earlier in this post I somehow posted the same thing twice, and was so mortified that I left the computer alone for several hours, and actually (though dimly, in the dark recesses of my mind) contemplated not posting anymore, or at least until much time had passed, and people had forgotten about the faux pas. :oops:

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 10:39 pm

I often do things like that in real life. It's really embarrassing for me because I know it makes me sound really uneducated, and I'm not. Not sure if people realize it though. I think I just sound like a total ret*d.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 10:50 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Danielismyname and Who am I, how come you guys aren't embarrassed when you mix words up?

I don't know. I think part of it is that I have good friends who will just make a joke of it without being malicious.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 11:14 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
I often do things like that in real life. It's really embarrassing for me because I know it makes me sound really uneducated, and I'm not. Not sure if people realize it though. I think I just sound like a total ret*d.

WOW, I hope you don't hold everyone to that standard. To hear people on one forum, you would think my grammar is atrocious. My one saving grace is that I know that many of them are pretty bad, and I am exposed to a lot of bad grammar so it is amazing I don't pick it up. I also NEVER got less than a high B in english. That includes an english class I took in 11th where I might actually call the teacher a teacher. I think he had AS too! He stimmed(rocked like I do), started early, stayed late, spent his spare time looking in books like the dictionary, was strict and pedantic.

Still, I DO sometimes see mistakes, in my posts, and try to correct them. I know I may make lots of mistakes. At least nobody has ever asked me what country I am from, or spotted a really nasty error, except for a few times where I was basically half asleep when I wrote it.

For what it's worth, I don't think your posts make you look dumb.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 11:55 pm

Yes, I do that fairly often IRL, as in at least once every day. But I never paid much attention to it. It's interesting that it might be a Kanner thing.