Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2012, 8:01 pm

I think low function autism should be cure because it cost society 3.2 million dollars take care of each LFA person. I also think AS should be just be a social disorder because people with AS are more aware of social situations Than people low function autism. I hope for a cure in 20-30 years. NVLD should be study more because people with an NVLD always are mis dx with AS.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

I don't think you can "cure" different brain wiring... You can learn to adapt it into something looking normal-ish, but the wiring will still not be normal.

Unless you are talking about some sort of eugenics... Which I don't really think would work, either, unless you were to abort every fetus that showed the brain wave patterns of autism.

[Edit to clarify]

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 8:18 pm

Green89tom wrote:
I think low function autism should be cure because it cost society 3.2 million dollars take care of each LFA person.
So... a person's life and identity are worth less if they cost more. Good to know. By the same rationale, the second you cost anybody even a cent more than the average NT, you became worth less than the average NT. Re-think that before you start putting dollar values on human life. Triage is all well and good when you're forced into it by limited resources, but let's not embrace it as a fundamental principle determining who has the right to keep their brains, identities, and personalities intact.

Quote:
I also think AS should be just be a social disorder because people with AS are more aware of social situations Than people low function autism.
Yes, people with AS are often more aware of social situations. (Not always, mind you. Some people who are extremely autistic are also extremely perceptive.) But AS is not just a social disorder. For many people with AS, the social parts are the least severe and least disabling.

Quote:
I hope for a cure in 20-30 years.
I don't. I hope for acceptance and full integration in 20-30 years.

Quote:
NVLD should be study more because people with an NVLD always are mis dx with AS.
NVLD may or may not be something we can include under the umbrella of autism spectrum disorders. I say that because autism itself is so very diverse that NVLD may be only one of many ways it can express itself. Yes--let's study NVLD. Let's also study autistic catatonia, regression, face-blindness, sensory hypersensitivity, repetitive movement disorder, selective mutism, and speech/language disorders. Let's study all that stuff--we need to know more. Stop researching how to make us vanish; start researching how to teach us and how to make a world where we can live side-by-side with NTs.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 8:25 pm

Everyone is dependant on society, except for people who go live out in the woods on their own.

And being dependant on others doesn't mean you can't contribute, and live an enjoyable life.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2012, 8:49 pm

What about better treatments like Tms or Neurofeedback for social problems. As need be more social because you guys are humans just like everyone else. Why are people with AS are always vitcisms. Brain can change itself because of neuroplasctic.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 9:07 pm

Green89tom wrote:
What about better treatments like Tms or Neurofeedback for social problems. As need be more social because you guys are humans just like everyone else. Why are people with AS are always vitcisms. Brain can change itself because of neuroplasctic.

We are not "vitcism"s, nor victims, we are DIFFERENT and want to be UNDERSTOOD and ACCEPTED, not changed, we want to get help LEARNING to cope. We get depressed about our setbacks, but NTs get depressed, too. Do you go after them and more or less insult them? If not, I would suggest not doing so to us..

As for neuroplasticity, with the scope of different things ASD impacts, I highly doubt that's a practical answer, since it can't be induced large-scale without damaging the brain. I would certainly NOT be OK with that.. That's essentially suggesting a lobotomy...

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2012, 9:24 pm

Well When John Elder got Tms treatment help him with social skills and he was happy. You guys let your disability get the better of you.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 9:29 pm

Green89tom wrote:
Well When John Elder got Tms treatment help him with social skills and he was happy. You guys let your disability get the better of you.

Have you gotten the therapy, then?

All sorts of things, not just therapy, can help you become more social and be happier. As it happens, this community is one of them. We are here for mutual support when things get tough, because that's all we have available, and even therapy isn't going to miraculously change everything.

Also, what on earth makes you think none of us are happy? How, exactly, are we "letting it get the best of us" when we are on forums looking for answers to questions we have and support from others who also have the same problems to prevent future issues? Is this just a projection? I'm very happy, I just want to learn more about myself and others to make it easier for me to STAY happy. I'm actually quite offended that *anyone* could think I need to be "fixed" to be OK. I'm just as good, and as capable, as anyone else, it just takes a little more effort, and that's OK, because frankly, I love who I am and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Last edited by Monkeybuttorama on 27 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:31 pm

Green89tom wrote:
Oh, yes. One case study proves everything, doesn't it? *sarcasm*

I don't think you get it--I don't consider "disability" to be a bad thing. It's simply a consequence of the fact that I am built differently from normal and can't fit into general society without adjustments. Normal is not the ideal state; disability is not something to be got rid of. I am not "giving up" when I identify as autistic and accept, even treasure, that part of who I am. I'm simply saying, "Yes, I'm disabled; no, I don't think that makes my life any worse than yours."

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm

You really think if they got rid of low functioning people the next person they'd try to get rid of wouldn't be you? You can say low functioning people are costing lots of money, so are many people with Asperger's. You talking about ridding the world of people who don't function at your level is the same as NT's wanting to get rid of you because you aren't functioning at our "level". This type of thinking is dangerous. If you want them to have a better life and you hope for better treatment, that I understand. But this should not have anything to do with money.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:39 pm

Green89tom wrote:
I think low function autism should be cure because it cost society 3.2 million dollars take care of each LFA person. I also think AS should be just be a social disorder because people with AS are more aware of social situations Than people low function autism. I hope for a cure in 20-30 years. NVLD should be study more because people with an NVLD always are mis dx with AS.

Then society can go cry about it. A cure and/or treatment should be to help the individual with the disorder....not because it's cheaper for society if they are cured.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2012, 9:45 pm

Not this again. Look, you've been told several times that having a disability like Autism isn't the end of the world. I'm tired of seeing these threads from you.

Instead of rejecting something you can't help, embrace it. Most of us have. Besides, there will never be a cure for differently wired brains.

No one is perfect. Everyone has flaws.

miss-understood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

I don't give a s**t how much my son costs taxpayer's. He is a beautiful human (worth just as much as the next person) who deserves the services that try to make his life a little easier. That does come with a high price but I really don't care. If you want a cure because you think people like my son are a huge burden on society then I am here to tell you that he isn't. He needs a lot of help but he is also inspiring to many people, he tries harder at life than anyone I know! I want really effective treatment for him, so he can be happier and in less physical and emotional pain, not to save money or make him less of a "burden" on others.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2012, 10:10 pm

What wrong with you guys? Low function autistic people are always going missing because of bad awareness.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2012, 10:13 pm

Green89tom wrote:
What wrong with you guys? Low function autistic people are always going missing because of bad awareness.

Really? REALLY?!

You really think that this is the truth?! I know quite a few people with LFA, and they are some of the smartest people I know! You can't just lump in a few incidents with every low-functioning individual in the world. Talk about stereotypical.

The awareness of Autism isn't bad, it's the stereotypes on Autistic people that are.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to kill them? You could even bill the family for the price of the bullet (they do that in China, I hear). See? No waste of precious, precious money.

(No, I am not seriously advocating that solution.)