Asperger's Syndrome - No Sense of Humor

Page 2 of 17 [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Mademoiselle_Cafeine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2007, 12:11 pm

jjstar wrote:
Dry, stone, cold and zero humor unless it's at the expense of someone else's misfortune. True or false? And no fibbing either.

I'm not sure what to answer, but I'd say false. I think I've got a very dry and ironic sense of humor. I don't tell jokes, but I make fun of everyone using sarcasm and irony. Most of my friends don't know when I'm making fun or when I'm criticizing someone/something, 'cause even though my facial expressions are several, I don't usually make distinction between the two situations. But, having a different kind of humor and having no sense of humor aren't the same, believe me. That's a trace of someone's personality and not an Asperger's symptom.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 12:12 pm

Mademoiselle_Cafeine wrote:
jjstar wrote:
Dry, stone, cold and zero humor unless it's at the expense of someone else's misfortune. True or false? And no fibbing either.

I'm not sure what to answer, but I'd say false. I think I've got a very dry and ironic sense of humor. I don't tell jokes, but I make fun of everyone using sarcasm and irony. Most of my friends don't know when I'm making fun or when I'm criticizing someone/something, 'cause even though my facial expressions are several, I don't usually make distinction between the two situations. But, having a different kind of humor and having no sense of humor aren't the same, believe me. That's a trace of someone's personality and not an Asperger's symptom.

I agree in that I don't see any correlation between AS and humor.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 12:13 pm

False. My preferences run strongly to puns, possibly because, as Isaac Asimov noted, much of humor depends on surprise at the punchline, and when one has a literalist interpretation of language, that slight tweak of a pun gives all the surprise one needs. (In support of this hypothesis, the people I know who use language least precisely also tend to be those who don't appreciate puns.)

The funniest thing I've ever seen, however, was an episode of the American Whose Line Is It Anyway?, in which Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles were playing the Lone Ranger and Tonto, respectively - the kicker being that they could not move themselves, but had to be moved by two members of the studio audience. The one moving Ryan didn't seem to ever remember to move his head, leading to points like Tonto pointing into the distance, and saying, "I imagine it so beautiful over there!" The end of the bit came with the Ranger demanding, "Move your head, Tonto!", and Tonto replying, surprised, "My head moves?" - just as his mover turned his head directly toward Colin.

By this point, I was already on the floor, laughing so hard my nose was bleeding.

Ah, found it on YouTube...
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=aIJiF5_F7lE[/youtube]

Thelostcup
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2007, 2:48 pm

I have somewhat of a sadistic sense of humor.

I laugh at execution videos and car accident aftermath.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 2:50 pm

False.

I have a wide, great sense of humour.

Think of a mix of Dark, Dry, Wit, Satire, Slapstick, And Toilet and your nearly there. ;)

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 2:51 pm

Actually, I can sum it up even more.

Just look at my avatar. :mrgreen:

CoinCollector
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2007, 3:16 pm

Izaak wrote:
ahhh! just thought of the perfect example of my humour.

My friend was talking about getting a wii. I suggested he should wait for the next generation. The Nintendo poo.

He just looked at me askance while I pissed myself laughing.

That is consistent with my humor: zingers, puns, hardcore word play.

Example: wife went to relieve herself while we were visiting her parents' home.
The toilet overflowed after she flushed, sending water all over the hardwood floors
and into the basement. She remarked that when she used her toilet paper, her
hand hit water, but she didn't think much of it at the time. She also said that
she didn't turn on the primary light, relying instead on the plug-in "night light".

She said, "Maybe I should turn the light on when I go to the bathroom."

My reply was, "Yes, look before you leak"

nuff said.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 3:20 pm

The slapstick/toilet combo is my ideal humor.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 4:05 pm

My humor differs greatly from normal people (who use it primarily as an affirmation of their own superiority; or else use it as a word game to jockey for social status), but I have, if I might say, a deep and rich appreciation for the absuridities of life. Nearly everything in the whole world is dripping with enough ridiculousness to keep a keen observer in stitches for all his life. I like puns, and especially jokes whose primary response is a groan, and absurd situational humor.

I constantly marvel when people try to portray their inability to be amused by certain things as a sign of sophistication.

There is a quote on laughter I've always loved:

Quote:
I would go so far as to venture an order of rank among philosophers according to the rank of their laughter - rising to those capable of golden laughter. And if gods too philosophize... I do not doubt that while doing so they also know how to laugh in a new and superhuman way - and at the expense of all serious things! Gods are fond of mockery: it seems they cannot refrain from laughter even when the sacraments are in progress.

All rich souls are capable of laughter, and people with AS are no different, even if that means appreciating the pain of others. I even appreciate my own pain- I broke my nose on my knee one time and laughed hysterically for many minutes.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 5:49 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I express every type of humor possible. I prefer slapstick myself.

Tim

Yeah, but I really wish you would quit it with the toilet humor.

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2007, 6:41 pm

While I do occasionally indulge in a bit of schadenfreude, it's not an integral part of my sense of humor.

I definitely have a sense of humor, and I enjoy everything from puns to intelligent, dark humor. When making people laugh, it's usually by making a funny observation or just saying something off the wall to be funny. I don't find "frat humor" funny - meaning I don't find people getting kicked in groin, puking, or other "gross out" humor funny.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 6:49 pm

They say the best way to judge someone's sense of humour is how they react
to being accused of having no sense of humour. I just laugh at the idea :)

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2007, 6:53 pm

jjstar wrote:
Because if you read the OP you'd see that it has ZERO to do with being right or wrong.

True and false have definitions synonymous with those of right and wrong. Calm down.

Anyway, I don't think Asperger's has much, if any, effect on sense of humour.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 5:59 am

False! In spades!!

You know what the basic form of humour is for Aspies? Taking things literally deliberately. For example;

"Walk this way, sir!"

Common cartoon gag follows with some crazy walk. They did it in the movie "Arthur" as well.

"Hop to it!"

Aspie response, hopping literally to go and do the task at hand!

"Give me a hand, will you?"

Give them a round of applause!

"Call me a cab!"
"OK - you're a cab!"

And there are plenty of other literal interpretations that I certainly sometimes turn into humour. And my parents play up to it as well, because they know it!

So actually, Panzyo, I disagree. Aspergers does indeed have an effect on our sense of humour. I think it makes it better actually, because - well I at least - hate toilet humour.

PS - I just thought of another example of literal humour: The movie Flying High/Airplane! The number of literal gags in that is off the chart!

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:17 am

No - actually truth is not synomynous with being right or wrong because in truth there are no polarities. Truth just is. Calm down? LOL.

:P

Panzyo wrote:
jjstar wrote:
Because if you read the OP you'd see that it has ZERO to do with being right or wrong.

True and false have definitions synonymous with those of right and wrong. Calm down.

Anyway, I don't think Asperger's has much, if any, effect on sense of humour.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:23 am

There ya go - making generalizations again - big, sweeping statements about *Aspies*. Are we a herd? Are we all identical? I don't think so. There are no absolutes in AS, as there are no absolutes in anything aside from the Ultimate Truth (which is the end all to all arguments and the basis for all life - another thread perhaps). Everyone sees the box. Some see the inside, some see the outside, some see the angles, some see the color, some see it's missing a hinge, some want to carry the box, some want to change the box into a triangle, some don't see the box - but see its shadow. So you see, we're all seeing the box (humor, punchline) from a different perspective - and there's not just one *right way*. It's all valid. Does the box exist - that was really the question, albeit here the metaphor of a container is being used. Humor - you got it - or you don't. Saying you do in spite of contradictionary evidence is, however being unTruthful.

TLPG wrote:
False! In spades!!

You know what the basic form of humour is for Aspies? Taking things literally deliberately. For example;

"Walk this way, sir!"

Common cartoon gag follows with some crazy walk. They did it in the movie "Arthur" as well.

"Hop to it!"

Aspie response, hopping literally to go and do the task at hand!

"Give me a hand, will you?"

Give them a round of applause!

"Call me a cab!"
"OK - you're a cab!"

And there are plenty of other literal interpretations that I certainly sometimes turn into humour. And my parents play up to it as well, because they know it!

So actually, Panzyo, I disagree. Aspergers does indeed have an effect on our sense of humour. I think it makes it better actually, because - well I at least - hate toilet humour.

PS - I just thought of another example of literal humour: The movie Flying High/Airplane! The number of literal gags in that is off the chart!