Asperger's Syndrome - No Sense of Humor

Page 4 of 17 [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Jezikaonline
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2008, 11:32 am

Id say False.

I don't laugh at, or find humor in peoples misfortunes, unless they are idiots who have brought it upon themselves. muahaha

I can't tell a joke to save my soul, but i have noticed that i make my friends laugh a fair amount. My boyfriend seems to enjoy my off the wall sense of humor, and I make my mom laugh on a daily basis. I crack myself up the most :lol:

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 11:34 am

Does anyone else here read/edit Uncyclopedia (www.uncyclopedia.org)? I find some of the stuff on there funny, and there are a lot of Aspies that hang out there.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bouncy_Castle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Shopping_cart
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/HowTo:Thro ... er_tantrum
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical_syndrome

I have a sense of humor, but it is sometimes "different" from others. I still find some bathroom jokes amusing, and puns are sometimes entertaining too.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 12:40 pm

Alternative wrote:
False.

I have a wide, great sense of humour.

Think of a mix of Dark, Dry, Wit, Satire, Slapstick, And Toilet and your nearly there. ;)

If I become a famous stand-up comedian, my humour will be this as expressed through tall tales and silly observations.

I just need a decent audience and someone professionally filming me. :D

archdude
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2008, 10:01 pm

AspieDave wrote:
In "Stranger in a Strange Land" Heinlein pointed out that ALL humor involved someone else's misfortune. In some respect....

One of my all time favorite quotes is from that book: "I ... know why people laugh. [They] laugh because it hurts... because laughter is the only thing that will stop the pain." This does not necessarily mean that we have to laugh at some specific person's real misfortune, but jokes tend to be stories of, and comedy routines and films simulations of, really embarrassing, uncomfortable situations. Things that we can identify with and that would really make us squirm if we couldn't laugh at them.

archdude
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2008, 10:07 pm

WillMcC wrote:
Does anyone else here read/edit Uncyclopedia (www.uncyclopedia.org)? I find some of the stuff on there funny, and there are a lot of Aspies that hang out there.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bouncy_Castle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Shopping_cart
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/HowTo:Thro ... er_tantrum
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical_syndrome

I have a sense of humor, but it is sometimes "different" from others. I still find some bathroom jokes amusing, and puns are sometimes entertaining too.

I love Uncyclopedia! I edit under the name Naughtyned.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2008, 10:12 pm

flailure wrote:
I don't find humor in anyone's misfortunes, in fact, I actually get embarrassed myself and have to look away, unless of course they are hurt and need help. I even get embarrassed watching socially awkward situations on TV or in movies.

I'm part of the "we" - very dry and, on occasion, fast, poignant humor; frequently to the point of causing people to literally rofl. Call it overcompensation for my social ineptitude, but humor is one of the best ways to keep people out of my personal bubble.

me too..I have no idea why but I have to look away as well like it was me that said the inapropriate thing....try watching The Office and you will see what I am talking about...
other than that I would say my humor tends to be a bit off beat to say the least. I tend to make people laugh through situations rather than humor itself. Guess i am blessed with a bumbbling body...

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:16 pm

I have no sense of humor. I had it surgically removed. Couldn't sit down for a week. No, before the operation. Afterward, I was fine.

Travinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2008, 4:42 am

I've found that I have a very dry and dark sense of humor. Sometimes it can be off-color as well. Most people do find my humor funny, although sometimes I try and throw in something of my own Aspie creation and they get confused. Better to stick to material others provide I suppose.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2008, 5:14 am

MysteryFan3 wrote:
I have no sense of humor. I had it surgically removed. Couldn't sit down for a week. No, before the operation. Afterward, I was fine.

yes, i like it sarcastic i think..i like it...not to omean and not too emotional...

Paguk
Raven
Raven

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

03 Jan 2008, 11:28 am

Ah, yes...the question of weather or not I have a sense of humor. About a decade back I had some sort of "autism expert"...by expert I mean someone who has their diploma stuck so far up their rectal cavity that it effects their ability to learn...assess me and come to the conclusion that I had no sense of humor. She thought that my parents were simply wanting to see something where there was nothing and blew off the vouching of a principal who would later find out that he too was an aspie.

She was simply too wrapped up in her psychological dogma to see that I had a more subtle sense of humor filled with little references that forced you to pay attention. I apologize for not finding the mere mention of a word sounding like 'cock' and 'rod' to be surefire sidesplitters.

And apparently, many such high priests of the psychological community at the time thought people like us to be incapable of sarcasm...never minding that asking if I was a sarcastic little &^% was like asking if the Dhali Llama was Buddist.

Last edited by Paguk on 03 Jan 2008, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 12:02 pm

As a neurotypical who has studied ASD's and interacted with those who have it, I can conclude that this is false. Also keep in mind that just because someone's sense of humor is different from the mainstream doesn't mean it's nonexistent.

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 12:33 pm

False for me. Life's misfortunes are not funny.
I have a pretty good sense of humor, but I pray for someone when they need it, not laugh. Even if I can't show empathy.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 12:38 pm

Paguk wrote:
Ah, yes...the question of weather or not I have a sense of humor. About a decade back I had some sort of "autism expert"...by expert I mean someone who has their diploma stuck so far up their rectal cavity that it effects their ability to learn...assess me and come to the conclusion that I had a sense of humor. She thought that my parents were simply wanting to see something where there was nothing and blew off the vouching of a principal who would later find out that he too was an aspie.

She was simply too wrapped up in her psychological dogma to see that I had a more subtle sense of humor filled with little references that forced you to pa attention. I apologize for not finding the mere mention of a word sounding like 'cock' and 'rod' to be surefire sidesplitters.

And apparently, many such high priests of the psychological community at the time thought people like us to be incapable of sarcasm...never minding that asking if I was a sarcastic little &^% was like asking if the Dhali Llama was Buddist.

lol!
:)

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 5:13 pm

False...

I don't find humor in others' misfortune...unless I think they deserved what they got. I like slapstick, too, because it's exaggerated and the people involved are doing it intentionally (I do it sometimes - intentionally falling for effect is one example :P).

I tend to be ironic and sarcastic. I sometimes like to misinterpret people's words intentionally ("I can't say I agree." "You just did." That shtick.)

I like observational humor and satire.

I sometimes like dark humor, because it can make things I normally dread seem less serious.

EDIT:

I took this test.

Do you have a sense of humor?

Your score is: 40

What does your score mean?

Your sense of humor is pretty good. It may not be as wacky as that of some people (like us apparently) but you're pretty cool in our books! You can laugh at most things and maybe even get a kick out of the non-sense you say and do from time to time as well. Good for you! Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at right? Just kidding.

Paguk
Raven
Raven

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

03 Jan 2008, 5:28 pm

My now-noted misspellings are making me cringe. "pa attention" and the fact that she DIDN'T think that I had a sense of humor. My bad. But I think I got the point across. Thank god for "edit".

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 9:05 pm

always had a sense of humor, I try to be funny, sometimes I succeed..;) Did puns with friends, but we take it to a horrible extreme, puns off of puns off of puns...;)

I used to say I'm funny (to NTs) about every 3 weeks. I don't laugh as much around them as I do myself...;)