Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 1:11 am

Got my Dx today. ADS Level 1 with no intellectual impairments. Comorbidity of severe social anxiety.

At least I can make plans and move forward. I've been in a malaise for a while now. My Mom even expressed worry about it because she's never seen me not in the middle of some major project except when I was depressed and/or suicidal. I did allay her fears as well as the therapist and the good people who evaluated me. I'm sure the people who've seen my posts can attest that I'm neither. So, we can put that Albatross to bed now.

I did get to find out a few things I was not aware of like my facial expressions and body language are out of sync with the verbal expression at odd times. So, I guess I send mixed messages to people who can pick up on those things. That's just the tip of the learning mountain I now get to climb.

Was on the phone for a long time with my family members. They've been supportive. I'm lucky that way. And I am grateful for them. This is parents, siblings and children. Haven't spoken to the Grandchildren yet. That can wait. Let the parents smooth that out for me first.

I wash in and out of feeling relieved and then just thinking...hmmm, whaddyaknow, moe.....I got the Asperger's....I ain't a delusional crackpot after all.

But, I'm wide awake. Wired. All of a sudden, this release of pent up energy, waiting to see what I could do has got me putting things together in a concrete way. It's relieving.

Thank you to all the people who have posted (all threads). I've learned a few extra coping mechanisms that have made a difference. I have gained a great deal of perspective. And, thank you to the people who PM'd me and showed me ways to get the help I need. And for the few that have lent private support. I can't tell you how much it has meant to me.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 7:06 am

I thought you already had a diagnosis, hmm well anyway congratulations it can be hard to get a diagnosis as a adult or at all due to ignorance and other things.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 7:53 am

It is always good when people who want diagnoses get them.

zkydz wrote:
...I did get to find out a few things I was not aware of like my facial expressions and body language are out of sync with the verbal expression at odd times. So, I guess I send mixed messages to people who can pick up on those things....

Hm. My written assessment included the statement that I showed a "limited number" of facial expressions. I suppose that this behavior is a social deficit.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 7:55 am

Glad to hear that finally getting your diagnosis has brought you some relief, and that your loved ones are accepting and supportive.

Always plenty of oxygen here at WP whenever climbing the "learning mountain" leaves you breathless - but I'm sure you already know that! :D

SirMiles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2016, 8:16 am

This is good news. Happy for you. I got diagnosed at 33 and know how difficult it can be.

RainMom2015
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2016, 9:34 am

I'm happy for you as well... You'll be fine, just keep the Faith :)

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 9:37 am

Congrats. It's great that you know for sure now :)

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 10:02 am

Thank you all. Last night was weird for me. For weeks it's been a malaise of inaction. Totally incongruent with my personality and makeup.

But last night, with answers in hand, the floodgates of decision energized me because for the first time in months I have been able to make a plan. Now I have to watch out for getting overwhelmed with decision making on that. But I am now seeing a therapist and she will help get me to places and help keep order.

All those if's, or's and maybe's are gone and now I have good information that for the first time feels like it fits. It's a unique feeling. I cannot describe what's going on inside. But it is good. It's a first. At my age, there aren't many of them in the basic daily life. 55 and I'm just waking up. Call me RumpleASpieSkin.

I hate not being able to process this into words. But now that I now why this is the way it is, I can finally seek better options. Better decisions. More comfort and understanding in myself.

I was actually worried that if the Dx came back differently, what would I do with my membership here and on GRASP. That actually bothered me because for the first time, I fit into a community, warts and all. It is exhilarating, humbling and most of all, comforting.

Oh, and by the way, when they told me how and why they came to the conclusions they did, I noticed something. They are very good at letting you think they are asking about one thing, when they are really measuring something else. I am very happy about that since it helps me comfortable that it was an independent conclusion. Well, that and they noticed a group of other things I was not aware of. So, I am very comfortable with how and why the reached their conclusions.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 10:53 am

Here is a question that someone here may be to help with. I have only told family members and people here. Blogged about it on GRASP, but hey, nobody really knows who I am there and who knows if it will be approved. If anybody does know who I am, then they have respected my anonymity.

But, I work in a very high profile position at the school. I feel I need to tell them so that if anything goes kaflooey on me and by proxy, they school, they need to know. Also helps with communications with the people I do have to report to. Have had a few kerfuffles in the last few years. Not consistent, but over time, it could add up.

So, how and whom should I inform? I know HR has to be in the mix. But, do I involve my immediate superior as well? Do I let the know separately or at the same time or a meeting of all parties involved?

I know I will ask my therapist on Thursday when I see her next. But, I would like to have something to mull outside of my own head. Still a bit of a rat's nest in there, if you know what I mean. It's still a bit unfocused. And, considering I fail so much at this type of thing, I think I need to get this into a well thought out idea.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

Mine says that 'There was no evidence of echolalia (repetition) or stereotyped use of words or phrases. At times xxxx ’s vocalisations appeared to be monotone and flat when talking for extended periods of time. xxxx appeared to find it difficult to maintain eye contact and used a limited range of facial expressions to communicate affect."

For gestures mine said 'xxxx was able to use some descriptive / informational gestures, such as pointing, shaking her head and shrugging her shoulders. However, there was very limited use of emphatic or emotional gestures.'

I'm glad you've got your diagnosis. I too was very relieved when I got mine, though it was followed by a period of sadness because I realised it was never going to go away.

I would say that I do use echolalia at home, just didn't in that interview. She did make a mention of me repeating things from my own report.

Still, the validation was so important for me.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 11:59 am

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:
Mine says that 'There was no evidence of echolalia (repetition) or stereotyped use of words or phrases. At times xxxx ’s vocalisations appeared to be monotone and flat when talking for extended periods of time. xxxx appeared to find it difficult to maintain eye contact and used a limited range of facial expressions to communicate affect."
They haven't been around me to see when I go into repetitive mode. It's also not constant. But I can get stuck on phrases or words many times. The eye contact thing was mentioned as well as repetitive motions. She even pointed out that I was rocking. That shocked me because I was unaware. I stopped and she quickly and gently, told me that I did not have to stop. My facial expressions don't match my verbal expressions.

I'm glad you've got your diagnosis. I too was very relieved when I got mine, though it was followed by a period of sadness because I realised it was never going to go away.
In this, I think I am lucky as I crossed that Rubicon about twenty years ago. I had to face two things.

1.) I will always be a recovering coke addict. That will never change.
2.) I was repeatedly asked what I thought about the idea that the depression could be clinically present for the rest of my life and always require medication.

That is something that is just like what you describe. And I understand exactly what you say. But, if I may ask, that first sadness, was it replaced by liberation? It did for me when I accepted those two things above. I do not require meds for depression now thanks to the good people, J. and P., who put me back together all those years ago. There were a lot of other people involved, but those two really went beyond.

Still, the validation was so important for me.
It's funny. I never considered that during all of this. I only realized it yesterday after I got the diagnosis. I just wanted answers, fueled by my training I received from J. and P. and my own innate desire to solve things.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 1:58 pm

Congratulations on your diagnosis Zkydz :D I know it's a lot to process right now, but there's no hurry. You'll reach all the conclusions you need to in your own time. I remember how exhilarating and surreal it felt when I got my diagnosis. I too received information about traits I didn't know I possessed, like a complete lack of conversational, emotive gestures, a flat, monotone voice, and a "lack of spontaneously seeking shared enjoyment with others". What tests did you take, if you don't mind my asking, and did they give you a written report?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 2:13 pm

Grats on getting a diagnosis at last.
Nice months since mine and I'm still trying to get used to it, it's weird actually being part of a group.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:26 pm

Congratulations on your diagnosis, sir

I'm glad things are making sense for you now.

Now, I hope you'll use your strengths to your advantage, and don't emphasize, in yourself, your weaknesses.

I'm not sure if I would tell your bosses about your diagnosis, though. Some people are really quite prejudiced against people with autism, and many don't even know what autism actually is.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:51 pm

Thanks to you guys as well. Star Trekker, happy 2 year, belated anniversary!!

Written evaluation is coming next week. They were finalizing it yesterday. It is very thorough, so, that's good. I will be getting copies so that I have one to give to my therapist and a couple extra just for safe keeping.

It is weird actually belonging to something, that I feel like I belong, for the first time in my life.

The job thing. I feel like I'm caught between things.
1.) Since it's high profile, I could be a walking lawsuit. Have had two complaints in the last two years (They were about a year apart though) and it could blow up if you got the right person who was just litigious. And, if they don't know, then I could be the eventual defendant because I didn't disclose something properly.

2.) Have butted heads a few times with people and it was actually all about how I perceive things and need to process things. Kinda do need people to bend a little with me.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:54 pm

Why do you need to let your employer know about the diagnosis? Here's another perspective ... your self-knowledge may help you to avoid future kerfuffles. So anyway, I dispute that you owe this information to your employer.