Aspie here, how do I improve my posture?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

RitGuard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2015, 6:15 pm

I am 23 and was diagnosed at 7. I've always been physically week, most notable with my arms, and I hunch a bit. I can fake posture to be more up straight but it's manual and something that needs to be applied every time.

I've also been physically unfit for years, and I find myself tired, but that's a different issue I suppose.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm

It could have something to do with it because I have tend to have bad posture too when I'm feeling tired. I just try to keep my back straight and slightly move my arms back and forth so that it looks more natural.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 11:37 pm

Working on your abs can help your posture. I'd start with crunches. Also, you could switch to sitting in straight back chairs like dining room or kitchen chairs instead of computer chairs or couches. You have to sit up straight in those. You'll be sore at first so keep it to an hour or two a day to begin with, then do so more often.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 6:41 am

1. Exercise your "core" muscles.

2. Set reminders in places to prompt you to check your posture so you make the effort to do it.

3. There are undergarments (braces) that prompt you into a proper posture and make it easier so you're not doing 100% of the work.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 6:56 am

The military is big on posture and they do a lot of marching with good posture. You could try going for a daily walk with the sole purpose of keeping your back straight, head up and shoulders back during it. Look at videos of soldiers doing this on YouTube. Imitate them. You don't want to do this to that extreme every day but doing it regularly will make you stand up straighter than you normally do, but not that extreme posture unless you mean to. Walking around like that will probably look odd, so depending on where you are you might want to do it at night. Or inside. Or if you don't care then do it anywhere. Or ask somebody you trust if it looks as ridiculous as it feels, because it feels ridiculous, but it ingrains a habit and that is what you want.

On a side note, in Victorian and Edwardian society in England the true aristocrats could easily be separated from the new money people and the poseurs by their posture. They had extremely good posture and sat very still for long periods of time at the dinner table without fidgeting or shifting and their backs not touching the back of the chair. They were taught this from childhood so it was habit and their muscles were used to it and it didn't bother them to do it. The folks who tried to imitate them hadn't been taught that nor the importance of it. The real aristos weren't going to clue them in, and while to me and you they wouldn't see very different, to those who were raised in that very picky society, it was obvious.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 7:02 am

A gym subscription with a personal trainer helps (or at least it did in my case, for a little bit definitely).

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:35 pm

If you spend a lot of time sitting, one easy way would be to invest in a pilates ball, and sit on that. long periods of using that will help your posture tremendously.

If you want some excersizes to go along with that, you have the plank (bodyweight excersize with no equipment needed),hyperextensions (same, but easier to do in a roman chair), and finally the deadlift (requires barbell).

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:48 pm

Tasks requiring balance and weight-shifting like skating probably improve posture, since bad posture will cause one to fall. I found that my posture became naturally good after I skated a lot.