On the internet, do you sound different from who you are?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 9:35 pm

Sometimes I sound more harsh than I am, but I don't see another way to get a point across, other times I sound cheesy because someone makes a dumb comment about something like the weather and I feel bad not replying, but I sound just as cheesy saying nothing, because that sounds like I take their cheesy dopiness seriously.. aaaargh! I know they don't even want to or mean to be dopey!

Last edited by Ana54 on 31 Dec 2007, 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sands
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2007, 9:41 pm

The guy I like sounds harsh sometimes in emails to me. Sometimes I have to go back and reread things and then I see where he is coming from and I feel better about it. One thing I feel certain of is that he is truthful when he writes something. And like you if it's something he had rather not say or doesn't see the sense in it he won't reply. I joke with him and tell him I like the way he ignores stuff like that. Most of the time he will ignore anything that has to do with flirting. He tells me he thinks it's cute, but has no idea how to react. I try not to do that or if I do I explain that I'm just joking with him.

What's normal anyway?

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2007, 9:41 pm

In real life I actually have a wicked sense of humor. People who take the time to really get to know me usually end up liking me. Online I come across as a know it all, who is not at all accessible. I like totally lack the skills to make true friends on or off line but, people in real life do at least like me. Online I am not well liked, but honestly I do not care. I like me and thats what counts in my world.

My intellect is too firmly in control online and let's face it my intelect is boring unless you like the same odd ball geeky nerdy stuff I do.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Dec 2007, 9:43 pm

yes

The former things have passed away."

chinapig
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2007, 10:01 pm

I try to stay brief on the internet.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2007, 10:14 pm

In real life I am usually a quiet and unassuming person, although I definitely have my opinions. I never get into fights with anyone. Online, I get in fights all the time. I clam up in real life arguments, but online I can take time to clearly state my points. I am much more argumentative, and unintentionally harsher, sometimes making me seem really arrogant or rude...neither of which I come across as in real life.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:14 pm

Sometimes I'm just cheesy on purpose 8)

It's practice to be *normal* :wink: .

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

sodarktheshadows
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2007, 10:21 pm

i apparently have a sense of humour that is lost on most in real life, let alone on the internet...

i think online i am a bit more subdued (some may beg to differ, lol!) than i am in real life...

online i don't tend to stutter as much as i do in real life either...

sometimes i think i sound a little more, ummm...for lack of a better word, 'stupid' when i talk to people online than i do in real life.

but that's just my thinking....

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Dec 2007, 10:27 pm

I have been told that I sound angry, or abrupt, when I wasn't intending to.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:40 pm

I sound the same online and IRL.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:47 pm

in real life i'm even worse! :P

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 11:17 pm

I have been told (as probably many have here) that I come across much more fluent online than I do in face-to-face conversation. I do my best though as do we all.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 11:31 pm

im the same on here as in person, except in person i have sooo many problems getting what i want to say across, and i act extremely childlike haha, other then that, i still have the same sense of humor...

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 1:15 am

I don't act much differently on these forums, but in general, being online acts as a mask. That's why people do things like troll. You'll find that on things like IRC, people are more daring about what they'll say.
Reminds me of a bash quote. I can't find it. But one guy insulted the other guy. And the other guy, replied that it was funny how insulting people were online "because if you talked to me like that in real life, I'd see if you fit into a Wendy's Biggie Cup."

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2008, 1:34 am

'Who writes is not who speaks, who speaks is not who is.'

Roland Barthes - French philosopher/semotician

(I'd say this is true of me)

PS. Poor Roland was actually run over by a bus, Paris/1980 (an amazing philospher, well worth studying if you really want some mind-stretching BTW)

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 5:42 am

I'm probably a better diplomat IRL than I am online. Mainly because it's online that I rant more. It's much harder to find a sounding board IRL. Of course there are things that I would certainly say to people's faces if given a chance - except that I would have to handle it a little differently.