Low narcissim 27%  27%  [ 8 ]
Average narcissism 57%  57%  [ 17 ]
High narcissism 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 30

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 10:52 am

A common question around here - can someone with AS also be a narcissist? After all there seems to be some overlap. So I found an amazing test to see if you are a covert narcissist masquerading as a sensitive introvert:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/2013/08/26/23-signs-youre-secretly-a-narcissist-masquerading-as-a-sensitive-introvert/

Scroll way down and you'll come upon the test.

I got a 65 - totally average (phew!)

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:06 am

Fifty seven. Quite a useful test.

I am sure that would have been much higher, say, five years ago.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:16 am

I scored 72, which I think is average. (Wow! 8O)

pleasekillme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2013, 11:22 am

Mid to high 80s. I sort of got confused and went back and revised an answer or to, so I'd say about an 85. That doesn't surprise me.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:25 am

I scored 58, which is low-average. Interesting test though.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:43 am

68. Now, where's the overt narcissism test? :P

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm

I got 82.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 1:43 pm

61. I was expecting higher. I think the score reflects my inability to not think of other people even when I really want to.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 1:51 pm

38. I'm just kind of oblivious to others, I think. That and I have a freaking superhero complex--I want to save the world, no matter how horrible I'd look in tights.

I don't think this means "low narcissism" for me. Just means that I don't really compare myself to others. Call it... socially unattached. Or just "extreme introvert", which I've been saying all along.

I mean, seriously, what's with social structures anyway? Most people are pretty cool. Why should we stack ourselves in pecking orders? What's the point of being on top? I just... I honestly don't get it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 30 Nov 2013, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2013, 1:52 pm

67 on this one so average. On the more typical narcissism tests - for the overt kind - I score extremely low.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm

I'm totally full of myself according to this article. I scored 96, I guess nobody will like me here now.

I didn't really like the tone of the article. It had more of an opinion tone to it, rather than any kind of objective analysis. Scientific American is not the respectable publication it used to be, they have caved to pop science in recent years, it ranks more with Discover magazine now.
The author made it sound like introversion & narcissism are mutually exclusive things.
I think maybe there could also be some confusion between narcissism and extremely low self esteem. Narcissism implies a very high self image, but both a very high and very low self image are lumped under the umbrella of narcissism.

I will admit to having a very low self esteem.

Diagnosed in 2005

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:14 pm

pete1061 wrote:
I'm totally full of myself according to this article. I scored 96, I guess nobody will like me here now.

I didn't really like the tone of the article. It had more of an opinion tone to it, rather than any kind of objective analysis. Scientific American is not the respectable publication it used to be, they have caved to pop science in recent years, it ranks more with Discover magazine now.
The author made it sound like introversion & narcissism are mutually exclusive things.
I think maybe there could also be some confusion between narcissism and extremely low self esteem. Narcissism implies a very high self image, but both a very high and very low self image are lumped under the umbrella of narcissism.

I will admit to having a very low self esteem.

Pete, I don't know you, but I assure you I will judge you by who you are rather than by the results of some silly test, and I think most people at WP are fair-minded enough to do the same. We've all been judged by unfair terms in the past.

I can understand you score. When I was younger, I would've scored much higher than I do now. Nor does Scientific American have much credibility left.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:28 pm

It's just a pop-test, remember that. But at least it's more accurate than MMPI, which would incorrectly diagnose most all of us as narcissists.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm

matt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:31 pm

The test asks a lot of affirmative questions, but doesn't ask any questions that might be disqualifiers for narcissism.

For example, it asks questions about whether the person taking the test is afraid of criticism or rejection, but it doesn't ask any questions about whether the person taking the test is afraid of attention in general, or even afraid of praise.

Yes. I'm excessively afraid of criticism. Having been excessively criticized can make a person excessively afraid of criticism.

But do I want praise? No. When people praise me it makes me very uncomfortable.

It also asks questions like "I have problems that nobody else seems to understand." Well, yes, the fact that I start shaking violently or feeling like I'm dying if I experience certain sensory inputs is a problem which it's very difficult to make others understand. No, just not liking a sensation is not the same thing. Or the fact that I know that I have a tendency to ramble for a really long time about something, but also know that it's not voluntary. I don't want to make people annoyed. Those are significant problems that I can't make other people understand. I don't think that those things imply that I might be a narcissist.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

Thought I would be higher because certain questions such as "Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy" "I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others." "I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people." "When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me." Are directly autistic traits or are realistic feelings to have after years of miscommunication between us and the majority.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman