Have you been flattered/insulted by wierd things?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:35 pm

As a confused teenager I'd have rather been called a slut, b***h or whore than a ret*d, nut or spaz. The reason being that sluts, b*****s and whores had an excuse for being sluts, b*****s and whores-- they were normal okay people who got handed s**t by life and had to do what they had to do to help themselves. Or they were ignorant but could learn. That they could all be helped.

Whereas nuts, ret*ds and spazzes were bad seeds with no excuse or provocation from life for being nuts, ret*ds or spazzes; they had always been and would always would be. I felt like these people were telling me I couldn't be helped and that I was born inferior, not just made inferior.

I was always relieved when someone called me a slut or something, because I was so glad they weren't calling me a nutjob. I was so busy feeling relieved that I wasn't called something that in my opinion was worse, that the insult of what I was called was lost on me. :D

Has anyone else felt like this?

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 8:38 pm

Something Similar.
I dress in the Scene Style...getting me called alot of strange names.
But, I do this because I don't talk. With this 'emo' style people think I'm really emo because I don't talk - Yet I don't show emotion.
Wierd Huh?
Above All, I'd rather be called something I'm not, then something I may be.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2008, 11:38 pm

I always took pride in being called a weirdo or insane because that seemed more positive than being thought ret*d. Everyone at least subconsciously knows that insanity/weirdness can be a synonymus with genius, right?

I always stood out as different, so I got too much attention and sought ways so reduce and control said attention. I coped by not speaking unless I had something intelligent, useful, or bizarre to say.

I also considered "weird" positive because I watched a lot of Muppet Babies, and Gonzo was my personal hero, even moreso than Soundwave for a time.

Also, people can derisively laugh at a ret*d, but not at someone whose behaviour is so incomprehensible that it disturbs them. So while I was considered something of a comedian in school, it was always more gratifying to do something that confused other students rather than making them laugh. In senior-year drama class, although I was told mine was genuinely one of the funniest stand-up-comedy routines, the moment when I made the whole room wince in unison because they couldn't tell what I was doing to my sheep puppet gave me a bit more joy than my friends' laughter.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 1:02 am

I get flattered if people call me a slut because it just means they're jealous, as there is no truth in it.

Last edited by hale_bopp on 30 Jan 2008, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 1:04 am

I got called a freak twice...once by someone who found my interest in the Holocaust strange, and one who thought I was cool (she wrote "keep rockin you freak" in my yearbook). I take it as a compliment, even the one that didn't mean it as one. But the biggest insult to me is "immature".

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 1:05 am

Shelby wrote:
I got called a freak twice...once by someone who found my interest in the Holocaust strange, and one who thought I was cool (she wrote "keep rockin you freak" in my yearbook). I take it as a compliment, even the one that didn't mean it as one. But the biggest insult to me is "immature".
Shelby, there are 3 of us here, also girls, who are into the Holocaust, and all 3 of us are also obsessed with Auschwitz! MissPickwickian, Irulan and I! Are you also into Auschwitz?

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 1:16 am

OMG yes I am!! !! ! The reason I was called a freak is I was saying how much I wanted to go to Poland and visit Auschwitz!! !! ! My friend turned around and frowned and said "freak."

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 1:17 am

Th 4 of us should arrange to go together and camp out there for a while! No, we should take a trip around Europe visiting all the camps... I've always wanted to do that!

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 1:19 am

Oh yeah that would be awesome!! ! I got close, I was in Europe but too afraid to travel by myself and none of my friends wanted to come.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 1:21 am

I've been to a real concentration camp when I wen to Europe. I visited Dachau, the first camp to be shut down by US soldiers.

Well, I was called a freak last March by my brother's girlfriend, who is disliked by almost ALL members of my family, save my brother. It came out of nowhere and was extremely uncalled for.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:33 am

I was called a freak once by a coward on a bicycle. If he'd been walking down the street and not racing his bike down the opposite side of the street he probably wouldn't have done it. :roll:

I was also at Dachau. I saw at least one gas chamber, a corpse room, some crematoria, barracks, a field where some prisoners stood during roll call, a synogogue thing that was actually a church for Christian prisoners during the camp's operation, and the top of a huge bunker that was the ground in front of the barracks and perfect for groups of prisoners to stand in their respective lines during roll call.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:37 am

Shelby wrote:
OMG yes I am!! !! ! The reason I was called a freak is I was saying how much I wanted to go to Poland and visit Auschwitz!! !! ! My friend turned around and frowned and said "freak."

I visited Auschwitz and Birkenau camps in last year. It was a trip organized by our college.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:48 am

Lately? :| Keep 'em coming.

:|

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2008, 12:20 am

I visited the Sachsenhausen camp when my class stayed in Berlin for a week during my semester as and exchange student in 1999! I mostly remember seeing the room with household items like lamps that were made from remains of the dead. That never got past the experimental stage, though.

How were there enough users with a KZL fascination on this same thread to make it 60% holocaust themed? Is it that only our people have a such an honest appreciation of human nature to acknowledge that this kind of thing is still going on somewhere in the world, and will likely make it's way back into the 1st-world within our lifetimes? I've dealt with plenty of a**holes who I know would gladly put me on the receiving end of the ovens if it ever did, so I, ironically, don't value human life unconditionally myself.

Damn, vicious circle.

If I ever did a documentary on the holocaust, I'd have to start it off with a line from Peter Pan: "All this has happened before, and it will all happen again."

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2008, 1:33 am

I'm not sure why it is. I read that most NTs tune out when a death toll reaches a certain number, so 6 million means nothing to them but they will donate thousands to help a puppy stranded in a flood. Maybe us Aspies can tune in a little better.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 12:22 pm

I used to take it as a compliment when someone would ask, "did you just step out of a flying saucer?" Or being called an oddball, or strange.
I looked at people, and thought, well if you're normal I'm glad I'm weird.