Does anybody rock back and forth while standing or walking?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2008, 1:49 pm

All the time while standing or sitting, even if the chair is not a rocking chair.

www.neurointegrity.com

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2008, 2:03 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
I dont rock, but I pace up and down if I am made to wait for anything. If I am at a bus stop I sort of walk up and down in front of the shelter, though I try to stop because people are looking at me. I seem to not have the ability to stand still long without breaking into a pace...

When I was a kid my mother had to watch me carefully when we were out shopping because of my tendency to wander off.

Sorry I know that is nothing to do with rocking.. I think it is just my overactive mind.. standing still translates into my mind wanting to be doing something and then my legs start moving and thats it.

Me too. When I was little, my sister made fun of me for pacing in circles around the dining room table and up and down the hallway. I could do this for hours if I had to stay inside (if it was after dark or rainy). I still do his if I have to wait for anything for more than a few minutes. If I can help it, I try to take long walks on my time off to get some of it out of my system. I don't think it helps, but I enjoy the walks better than pacing in one spot.

As for rocking, once in a while, but not severly. I sway standing and rock while sitting. If I get into a spinny chair I can't stop myself from swinging it back and forth.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 2:17 pm

not much when I'm sitting, unless it's a rocking chair... but when I'm standing yes, all the time.

MeshGearFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2008, 2:44 pm

I will rock back and forth while standing, but only when I'm extremely agitated. It acts as a calming technique, especially when my breathing exercises are not working. It feels like a last resort as I'm self-conscience about it and have tried over the years not to make it noticable. (There was no AS diagnosis when I was a kid, and my mom would slap me on the head if I didn't stop "fidgeting.") I caught myself doing it at the family Christmas gathering to prevent moving into a meltdown zone.

Yes, like anyone else, I will pace while waiting or nervous. However, I have developed an odd stim or quirk with my hands. When my brain is running, I will wave my hands or fingers, or I will rub them, especially while walking. It's fairly new or it's gotten to the point when I notice. It developed after recovering from PTSD 18 months ago. I do not look straight down while walking nearly as much as I used to. Maybe it's related to that? Basically, I will use any (physical) technique to calm myself.

Sometimes, while walking, I will skip involuntarily when thinking of something unpleasant. I really hate that. It undoubtedly puts me in the "getta load of this guy" category, which draws attention, which makes things worse...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 3:55 pm

I fidget with my hands constantly.

I was watching my son at scouts last night - he got told about 6 times (in 10 minutes) to stand to attention but kept twisting his body. I was worried they were gonna lose it with him, so I might need to go talk to the scout leaders next time.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 4:24 pm

I don't rock back and forth, at least not enough to accept I do, but I do like rocking chairs, swings, and hammocks. I spin around in my chair a lot. When I do rock it is only in times where I know I'm alone and only for about 10 or so seconds. I do rock my legs a lot, which somehow affects my shoulders and begin to move. :afro:

Age1600 wrote:
Reyairia wrote:
I'd have to pay attention to myself for that.
However, I do play with my hands a lot, I can't leave them alone.

I play with my hands alllll the time, obsessed with my hands, either flicking them in front of my face, opening and closing my hands constantly, twisting my fingers, biting my hands, flapping just the hands just to watch them flap hahahaha. I make myself so stimulated doing that, and i laugh forever, everybody around me just thinks its soo funny, how easily amused i am haha, oh well hehe!

lol, I flap my hands just to watch them. My mom looked at me doing it and asked "What in damn hell are you doing? It looks like you're flying, stop that!" It looks funny to me.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2008, 11:07 pm

I was told that I did while sitting. Since then I have noticed it. While standing, rarely - but it's a little bit true. But I do a lot of hand twisting and pacing.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2008, 11:52 pm

I suspect I rock without noticing it - as in, when I'm concentrated.

When standing I already discovered myself balancing my weight between feet; tilting forward a bit, then returning. I've seen obvious NTs do something like this too - yet it looks very much like the constant (standing) rocking of LFAs I saw once.

I pace like crazy. The first time someone pointed it out was not in real life but at a fps game; no one else was around the place other than a friend I was chatting with when I began pacing my character around (and it did feel very much like pacing in real life).

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:00 am

I rock side to side when I stand some times and when I sit I rock forward and back. I can rock when I walk.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:05 am

Vince wrote:
I rock.
:hail: :hail: :hail: .....OH, do you mean you rock side-to-side or that YOU ROCK! :afro: ?

:lmao:

I rock sitting, standing, but not while walking.
I pace like crazy.
When I saw our daughter pace on the phone (just like me) the first time I was shocked! 8O

I have to have one of those really long coiled cords for our phones because we both pace all over the room.
We've done it so much to the corded phone that the wires are loose in the handset and I need to go back in and re-solder them.

Luckily we also have a cordless handset... my daughter uses it regular like, I plug in a headset with boom mike so I can be doing something else with my hands while talking-n-walkin' :D

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:10 am

:lmao: LOL Both, but mostly rock side to side, king of pacing.

MaterialDefender
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2008, 12:28 am

I wouldn't say that I rock when I stand. I tend to change my stance around a lot when I am standing to maintain balance and not fall over. I used to get bugged in school about losing my balance when I was standing.

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2008, 1:09 am

These past five years I've spent a lot of time with peace groups standing on corners with signs and flags. Mostly the other people stand still in one place, but I'm either swaying side to side or walking back and forth, or trying to make the flag float better on the wind. (Rainbow peace flag, so in the sunlight it looks really nice.)

I had been telling myself the constant movement was to keep my feet from getting sore standing in one place for so long. But now I wonder ...

I don't wear jewelry because I fidget with it so much it irritates my skin.

Jayutimestwo

06 Feb 2008, 1:33 am

side to side when I'm standing - I didn't even realise I do it till quite recently :oops: .

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:17 am

Ever since I started paying attention, I've noticed that when I get nervous, I sometimes start pacing back and forth. I remember when I was 9 years old and my grandmother relentlessly critiscized me for it because it reminded her of my mother and I stopped after that.

I don't know if this is recent or not, but I've also caught myself rocking back and forth when sitting at the computer, not aware I was doing such for the first 30 seconds or so. Whether I've always done this, I don't think so(but can't say for sure), but it sure does help me focus a lot better.

I've always either had my hands in my pockets or my arms crossed while standing, usually with my head facing downward(to keep the sun out of my eyes and/or help me think better by blocking out of my field of vision other stimuli such as other people). When I sit, it is usually with my arms crossed or with my head resting on my hand in a downward position. I don't feel 'right' without that. This has caused people to interpret me as being extremely shy(which I am).

Sometimes while standing, I'll also wiggle my fingers back and forth and become fascinated with how the shadow looks, as if my hand were some sort of death claw(it's especially interesting when the shadow is proportionally longer than my actual hand).

As far as I can remember, on occassion I would tap my fingers against a hard surface in a pattern, but I'd usually stop once I've noticed I was doing it.

This is stim-like behavior, but I don't know if it is severe enough or pervasive enough to actually qualify as stimming in the AS/HFA sense.

The more I pay attention to myself, the more I'm learning. And it is all extremely confusing.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:22 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who paces!

Taking a break.