Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 2:58 am

Quote:
I also can't walk without looking at the floor.

I look at the floor too. It's instinctual, and it makes a lot of sense because that means my eyes get less exposure to sunlight and I can see where I'm putting my feet and thus decrease any risk of tripping over something. People often ask my why I'm so sad or look so down, even during times that I feel nothing of that sort. I used to not know how to vocalize the reasons why when I was a child/adolescent(the behavior was instinctual after all), but over the last few years I realized why I did it.

If I try to walk 'normal', it just makes me clumsy.

feelgoodlost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2008, 3:06 am

My mom always commented on this to me when I was younger but I guess I grew out of it. Now I swing my arms naturally when I walk (most of the time) but if I consciously stop I "remember" that it feels natural that way too and I have to remind myself to start swinging again.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 3:16 am

It's an autism thing (not everyone will do it, but it's associated with ASDs).

I keep my arms at my side when I walk; I'd drag my knuckles on the ground if my arms were long enough. I sway a little too. I, hairless gorilla, or something.

polyrhythmia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2008, 3:24 am

SilverProteus wrote:
I usually have to reming myself to swing my arms. It just seems unnatural.

I would guess that swinging of arms is a carry-over from when our ancestors walked on all fours? Dave

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 8:16 am

polyrhythmia wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
I usually have to reming myself to swing my arms. It just seems unnatural.

I would guess that swinging of arms is a carry-over from when our ancestors walked on all fours? Dave

Interesting. Seems like it, if you watch the left arm/right leg -- right arm/ left leg walking combination...

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2008, 8:24 am

i remember at first school in p.e. being told to watch how the other kids used their arms whilst running & that i should do this too as it would make me run faster (i was the slowest in the year!) i tried but it made me run slower as i was having to think about what i was doing with my arms as well as my legs!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 11:07 am

Haha, I can still remember all the lessons my grandma put on me for not swinging my arms when I walked!
I learned to do it under pressure eventually (being told it weeks and months and years and all that), but now that I realised it's not natural to me, I often stop it and leave my arms hanging loosely to my side. It's much easier to walk that way.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:35 pm

I finally found the exact quote: "She walked with an odd, slow gait, with her arms hanging at her sides without swinging reciprocally as she walked." At the time I was evaluated, I was also dealing with a worsening movement disorder, which probably explains the slowness.

Lone_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:50 pm

You're supposed to swing them?

I'm serious, I've never thought about that. It feels natural for me to keep them still. I haven't noticed that other people do it either. Weird...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:01 pm

I was going to point out what "Diamonddavej" said! Anyway, I had the SAME problem in highschool. People made fun of me for it. Oh well, I STILL have it a bit.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:24 pm

Quote:
You're supposed to swing them?

Apparently so, but unless I'm walking very fast, they don't swing.

I have no idea what practical purpose swinging them has or why people do it.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:50 pm

Apparently there really is some physiological purpose for it that makes walking easier, but it's such a hard thing to do.

One thing that happens when I run sometimes is that one arm will remain stiff and the other will swing or flap around. And I've seen other (autistic) people doing that too.

But when I run (which is rare these days) I also keep my arms still for one practical reason that has to do with large breasts and an aversion to bras. :oops:

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Apparently there really is some physiological purpose for it that makes walking easier, but it's such a hard thing to do.

Hmm... I wish I knew how and why it supposedly makes walking easier!

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 2:08 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
Hmm... I wish I knew how and why it supposedly makes walking easier!

Because of momentum/ inertia. (umm- thinking of one of those perpetual motion things with the silver balls) I can do the swinging arms thing if I think about it, and it really does make for an efficiency of movement that the hanging arms gait does not provide. Just not efficiency of "thought" for us, apparently.

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2008, 2:23 pm

I think the swinging arms might have developed to help with balance. Left arm swinging forward as the right foot is lifted off of the ground helps keep you centered over the foot that is still on the ground, rather than leaning to the side. It's a gravity thing. Try this: while standing still with both arms at your side, lift one foot off the ground without leaning to one side or the other. It can be done, but it's easier if you lean. Now do the same thing but as you lift the left foot, put your right arm forward and your left arm back. It helps.

Last edited by Bea on 10 Feb 2008, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 2:39 pm

Ever since getting dxed, I noticed that I totally don't move my arms while walking. I think it's the whole balance thing. I have enough movement problems without swinging my arms. That, and it's an extra energy expenditure.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"