Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 5:46 am

chocolate_kitties wrote:
Belfast's example is good (although internet dictionaries say it's pronounced you-krane :( - yes, I had to look it up)
I pronounce praline as 'prah-line' even though everybody else says 'pray-line'.
I think pedantic speech is always saying things the right way, using perfect grammar and so on.

Yes! But still, Idiosyncratic. I've found, despite my obsessive nature to always be perfect in my language, that I'd defend long standing ideals towards words, despite being wrong. I guess I didn't want to be proven wrong, even if I was, and knew it.

I slowly overcame my pride and further incorporated such perfect words into my being. Constantly striving to attain the peak of sophisticated language. A strange goal, as most people won't even understand what the hell I'm trying to say :lol:

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2008, 6:02 am

I'm currently reading a collection of interviews of Vladimir Nabokov and his thoughts relate nicely to this thread.

"...At parties, if I attempt to entertain people with a good story, I have to go back to every other sentence for oral erasures and inserts. Even the dream I describe to my wife across the breakfast table is only the first draft... I have rewritten -often several times -every word I have ever published."

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 6:05 am

googlewhack wrote:
I'm currently reading a collection of interviews of Vladimir Nabokov and his thoughts relate nicely to this thread.

"...At parties, if I attempt to entertain people with a good story, I have to go back to every other sentence for oral erasures and inserts. Even the dream I describe to my wife across the breakfast table is only the first draft... I have rewritten -often several times -every word I have ever published."

Omfg. You said Vladimir. I'll be speaking in a heavy Russian accent for hours now, thank you.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2008, 10:14 am

Is there anyway of keeping yourself from being an intellectual snob? Or stop being so lectury?

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:50 am

the KISS principle works for me.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Its was hard for me to explain things to people because I used words which were the very definition of what I intended to say. Using 'big' words .. or more than 1 of those per minute gave people the impression I was too full of myself.

So now instead, I try to use a whole sentence instead of that 1 word.. makes trouble for me since I freeze sometimes or lose my train-of-speech because my train-of-thought left it behind. (if that makes sense)... but I dont give off the pedantic impression anymore.

Also learned to not volunteer information or give too much information. The Mr.Data syndrome (lol).

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 3:30 pm

either that or hang around with other highly educated people of similar persuasion. then you don't come across as "an intellectual snob" like you would if you were hanging around with the people who work at walmart or something.... it's all in the context, really.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 3:36 pm

Chimchar wrote:
Is there anyway of keeping yourself from being an intellectual snob? Or stop being so lectury?

Gah...if that's directed towards me, I'm sorry. Words are my obsessesion, and so it's just second nature to try and be so eloquent. I'm definitely not so bad in person, it seems that when I can see my words though, I try very hard to give them more value than I should at the moment :oops:

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

In generalization, pedantry refers to the intrinsic or extrinsic possession of qualities and practices that is considered to be pedantic; such individuals are excessively solicitous with formalism and precision, or is intellectually ostentatious in one's learning. It is a frequent commonality amongst the specified characterizations in Asperger's syndrome, likewise I present diversely miscellaneous traits that are associated with pedanticism, such as my intensified preoccupation with detail, obsequious attention to academic legislations, impeccable vocabulary, correcting spelling and grammar (excluding in an online social environment as I consider it unconstructive), condescending tone of speech, and overly formalized or literal interpretation of language - as well as sentence structures. However, neurotypicals don't usually stereotype those with AS as pedants, although for some it may cognizable that their speech is conspicuously irrelevant to the social context.

Pedantic speech generally refers to an exceedingly formal speaking style that is considered to be incongruous to the conversational setting. It is often characterized by instructive patterns of prosody and very precisional articulation, as well as having an unnecessarily intricate vocabulary. As with pedantry, these speech patterns are of common presence in individuals diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and have a tendency to express themselves this way, subsequently it could be an impediment to interacting socially because a conversational partner may interpret this type of speech as condescending. It is particularly marked in children as it is regarded to be developmentally inappropriate according to psycholinguists; such children are often described as “little professors” for their very precise style of expressive language.

In retrospect, my developmental profiles have indicated that I was "pedantic" ever since I managed to express myself in long and complicated sentences when I was about 4 years of age.

P.S. apologies for the bumping of an old thread.

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 07 Nov 2012, 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 5:24 pm

My dim-witted mind can't understand what ''pedantic'' means. Somebody give me a basic answer in English, using a short script thing for example something like

Person A:

Person B:

type of thing.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 5:32 pm

I was talking about this term with my girlfriend yesterday, which is awesome that this thread is here because I found it very interesting. I hope I understood it.

Example:

GF: Do you want to eat at McDonalds?
Me: I have never really liked Burger King and McDonald's has great fries, but they are on the overnight menu by now, so I don't think we can order what we want. How about we go to wendy's because their menu does not change at night?
GF: you could have just said, no, how about wendy's

Is this pedantic?