Why I view my autism as a blessing and NOT a curse

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blue_Jackets_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2012, 12:00 pm

For 27 years of my life I have delt with being "weirdo," "odd little duck," you name it. For the first 11 years of my life I knew I was different but couldn't understand why. It was was noly 12 years old I was given the diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome. Strange while people might find it to be a curse. Well while yes it does come with additional adversity such as dealing with social interations normal people take for granted or having to need a bit of extra support in being independant THE PLUS FAR OUTWEIGH THE BAD.
When I was 12 I was tested for reading and found I was then able to read well into college level (how many 12 years old without AS could do that), or that I could see things normal people tend to miss.
I just recently got rehired at Publix Supermarket in Ocala a company that I'm not only proud to work for they are extremely good in hiring people with autism/other disabiltites ask the Dan Marino Foundation if you don't beleive me) with the goal in the next few months transfer to their warehouse in Lakeland while finishing my business degree so I can move up with the company.
For some reason whenever I hear about "autism steals" or "autism leaves a empty shell" I can't help but shake my head. People who hear that ought to ask Bill Gates, Owl City, and others who do have autism. They certainly will tell you far different.
I have Autism and I have embrace it. I yam what I yam.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

Blessings on you.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 12:27 pm

There's a curse for every blessing and though I have the great benefit to be a loner by nature anyway, that is, I'm not interested in any contact with humans except online and penpals, I can see how many people with AS are different. They crave for relationships and interpersonal contacts and are severely impaired by their condition.

Bill Gates and other celebrities are exceptions to the rule that lot of people with AS are unemployed or drastically underemployed. However, I'm glad to hear about your career and wish you all the best.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 12:29 pm

It's nice to see some positivity returning to WP. People need to stop thinking of themselves as "cursed" and just accept themselves for who they are

Blue_Jackets_fan wrote:
For some reason whenever I hear about "autism steals" or "autism leaves a empty shell" I can't help but shake my head.

↑↑↑ Nothing in the world enrages me more than those repulsive comments you describe. It is both unbelievably insulting and, factually inaccurate; how can Autism "steal" someone's personality if they were born with it? To some extent, Autism IS you.

Oh, and to anyone who is planning to refute this post with "They aren't talking about you, they're talking about LFAs, I don't feel any less insulted. More so, in fact. I have had the privilege of meeting several Low-Functioning Autistic children in my life, and I assure you, they are NOT the empty, eternally screaming zombie children Autism Sneaks has portrayed.

I'm sorry that this post has turned into a bit of a rant. It wasn't my initial intention! :oops:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 12:49 pm

Good, I am glad that things are going well for you, OP.

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Nov 2012, 1:48 pm

Love the positive outlook. While Autism comes with a lot of challenges, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2012, 1:53 pm

Everyone has his/her own opinion. Personally, I think it's neither only a gift, nor only a curse: it's both. The best you can do is working to make the bad symptoms go away, and use the positive traits at your advantage.

aspigirlus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2012, 2:05 pm

It was initially a blessing, now it is a curse. I have gone from feeling a sense of relief from knowing what was "wrong" to permanently worrying that I am upsetting people.

Blue_Jackets_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2012, 2:08 pm

aspigirlus wrote:
It was initially a blessing, now it is a curse. I have gone from feeling a sense of relief from knowing what was "wrong" to permanently worrying that I am upsetting people.

To me I'm trying to learn not to worry what people think of me. Like my friend once told me "haters are going to hate" no matter what.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

I will add that I have come to accept the benefits outweigh the challenges and even though many people can't or won't see them, that's not going to change the fact I am comfortable being on the Spectrum and I don't want to be 'cured' or 'treated' only understood.

For example, I'm doing a college course (work related) and we had our midterm exam. Since it was on a subject that requires systems thinking I got an easy 100% and was done the 1.5 hour exam in 20 minutes. That opened a few eyes to say the least!

indiana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2012, 4:15 pm

It's wonderful to read such a positive post, Blue Jackets Fan.

Good luck for the future.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2012, 4:22 pm

Preferable to the alternative, I'd say.

I used to be proud of my state... then I realised that pride is essentially just another inter-relative emotion that serves no practical purpose, and concluded that my opinion of myself is irrelevant, as I've never been anything else in order to make a comparison.

That said, I still look down on those who aspire to normality and conformity, be they kin or mundies... and only make company of others who appreciate distinction.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:05 pm

Curiotical wrote:
It's nice to see some positivity returning to WP. People need to stop thinking of themselves as "cursed" and just accept themselves for who they are

Blue_Jackets_fan wrote:
For some reason whenever I hear about "autism steals" or "autism leaves a empty shell" I can't help but shake my head.

↑↑↑ Nothing in the world enrages me more than those repulsive comments you describe. It is both unbelievably insulting and, factually inaccurate; how can Autism "steal" someone's personality if they were born with it? To some extent, Autism IS you.

Oh, and to anyone who is planning to refute this post with "They aren't talking about you, they're talking about LFAs, I don't feel any less insulted. More so, in fact. I have had the privilege of meeting several Low-Functioning Autistic children in my life, and I assure you, they are NOT the empty, eternally screaming zombie children Autism Sneaks has portrayed.

I'm sorry that this post has turned into a bit of a rant. It wasn't my initial intention! :oops:

I also see my autism as a blessing. I have a stronger personality than most people I know. My mum has had a very hard time with my strong personality when I was growing up. There's nothing empty about me. I'm all there. I also shake my heads at people who call it a disease that leaves an empty shell. I feel that those people should got to university for 5 years straight, listening to autistic people giving speeches until they learn that autism doesn't steal or leave an empty shell.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2012, 5:13 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also see my autism as a blessing. I have a stronger personality than most people I know. My mum has had a very hard time with my strong personality when I was growing up. There's nothing empty about me. I'm all there. I also shake my heads at people who call it a disease that leaves an empty shell. I feel that those people should got to university for 5 years straight, listening to autistic people giving speeches until they learn that autism doesn't steal or leave an empty shell.

Those are the sorts of people who only consider crap when counting shell-contents. And naturally if you're not full of crap like they are, they're going to consider you empty.

Claytomau5
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2012, 11:30 pm

When I was in 3rd grade I read at 8th grade level. In 4th I read at post college. In 4th grade I was 9. Besides that, I also view having Aspergers as a blessing, not a cure, as without it I wouldn't have my amazing personality, superior intellect, etc. Aspies seem to be the next generation of human to me, honestly.

42. Dont ask questions.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:38 am

I used to think it was a curse, but I had to 'grow into' my diagnosis, feel comfortable being myself. It sounds like you already do this, OP so therefor it feels like a blessing. I hope to one day attain such acceptance. :)