Page 1 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Hyzera
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2008, 10:00 am

Quote:
Rob Nijssen sits hunched over a set of scales in his homebuilt laboratory. He's weighing out herbs, oils and powders, and combining them with the skills of a practiced craftsman.

With the mischievous look in his eye, he could be a gifted academic, a drug peddler or an alchemist. He is, in fact, a man trying to save his son from a lifetime of pain and suffering. And Rob believes he's done just that.

Five years ago his son, Frederick, was diagnosed with autism. The doctors told him there was no cure and warned him to prepare for a lifetime of struggle. But he refused to give up. As a fervent believer in the power of natural remedies, he decided to develop his own autism treatment.

Full Article Here

What do you guys think about this?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:06 am

I hope he finds it.

Bless him and his efforts, no one likes to feel they have no remedy, or can't 'fix' it. Even if he does not find the 'cure' he feels he is doing something and hey, he might be onto something!

good luck to him!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:39 am

Interesting theory, that Autism is the result of a weakened immune system...

Better someone like this chap should find "the cure" than some huge Pharma.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 2:25 pm

It's interesting how many autistics have physical health problems. This person developed persistent colds, ear infections, rashes, and terrible stomach problems after the MMR shot in addition to autism. There is scientific evidence that autistics have far higher rates of allergies and digestive problems. Most of the testimonials I've read of recovered autistics used anti-infective treatments that they claimed cured allergies, eczema, and IBS in addition to autism. Allergies have also risen rapidly along with autism in the last few decades. One study found that allergies affected 20% of vaccinated children versus 0% of unvaccinated children.

I noticed his formula uses probiotics to cure IBS symptoms. Clinical trials have already shown that probiotics can cure IBS (yet that doesn't stop Big Pharma from creating more dangerous and expensive drugs to treat the symptoms of this easily curable condition).

"Rob's highly unorthodox treatment works by bolstering the immune system. It uses a combination of natural remedies, herbs, essential oils, honey, probiotics (or ‘friendly' bacteria), as well as vitamins and minerals. They are all given in a precise sequence to first cleanse the body, kill off invading parasites, and then to fortify the immune system. Clearly the treatment is unlikely to do any harm but can it do any good?"

Many alternative treatments are eventually proven to be safer and more effective than Big Pharma's dangerous drugs. Recently, two double-blind, placebo-controlled trials showed the natural herb St. John's Wort to be more effective than Prozac and Paxil for treating mild, moderate, and severe depression. It also had less side effects. Big Pharma got $billions for Prozac even though this natural herb is cheaper, safer, and more effective.

Even though it's unlikely to do any harm and may help tremendously, doctors will warn their patients to avoid it. Why? It's all about money. As they say, "a patient cured is a patient lost"

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 2:40 pm

zendell wrote:
It's interesting how many autistics have physical health problems. This person developed persistent colds, ear infections, rashes, and terrible stomach problems after the MMR shot in addition to autism. There is scientific evidence that autistics have far higher rates of allergies and digestive problems.

And we all know that allergies and digestive problems aren't common at all.

Quote:
Most of the testimonials I've read of recovered autistics used anti-infective treatments that they claimed cured allergies, eczema, and IBS in addition to autism. Allergies have also risen rapidly along with autism in the last few decades. One study found that allergies affected 20% of vaccinated children versus 0% of unvaccinated children.

I haven't seen the study, but don't you think it's possible that children who aren't vaccinated are also less likely to be taken to the doctor for possible allergies? Most "allergies" actually aren't that big a deal, I think.

Quote:
Even though it's unlikely to do any harm and may help tremendously, doctors will warn their patients to avoid it. Why? It's all about money. As they say, "a patient cured is a patient lost"

There's such a thing as taking too many vitamins, and I believe that is an issue for some autistic kids whose parents take the "alternative medicine" route. If "Experimental Treatment X" is so great, then it should be able to be proven effective and safe in clinical trials. I don't get the "try anything as quickly as possible" mentality so prevalent among many families. It reminds me of throwing a bunch of crap up against a wall and hoping that something will stick. Alternative medicine practitioners like DAN! doctors make money, too, so that's a bit of a red herring. Alternative medicine isn't some pure, altruistic entity.

A false belief in autism's cause is unlikely to inspire effective treatment, IMHO.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 3:14 pm

If anyone is interested in this "Lorenzo's oil"-type treatment, I think their website is http://www.threewells.nl/index.en.php/Home_Eng

From the website:
"We think that autism among other influences is being caused by a mutation of the Epstein Barr virus...This virus weakens the immune system, in a way that other intruders like bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and toxic loads can not be neutralized excreted."

EBV (along with the resulting bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and toxic loads of mercury) is also a possible cause of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and the treatments on the site are very similar to ones used to treat CFS. The sites lists all their products and the ingredients in each one for those who are interested. If you search PubMed, some of these treatments have already been proven effective in treating neurological disorders.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 4:08 pm

allergies are practically the reverse of having a "weak" immune system. Your immune system is going after something it doesn't need to be reacting too.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2008, 4:34 pm

There is a theory out there that does suggest that higher functioning forms of autism are actually highly irritated allergies. The fact that the GFCF diet works for some people does give this some merit. If you think about all of the things that bother us, hmmmm.....some of it does mimic allergies. It's just that our reaction is sometimes grouchy, flapping, disjointed thinking patterns. It could give some merit to our sensory integration issues as well....

Hmmm....I don't think there's any magic cure out there, but I think there is something to be said for avoiding of things that increase autistic behaviours. I mean things like gluten and casien and red dyes and fake flavourings. I know that there are environmental factors like that annoying b***h I work with who plays Christian Rock music all day on the boom box that can't be gotten rid of. Although I keep aiming her toward a big ditch that I'm trying to dig. LOL.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 4:45 pm

Complete and utter garbage. Like so many other things - this is at best a placebo. This father is treating the symptoms, but he will NEVER get to the root condition. It's there for life.

This is dangerous quackery, and worst of all he's not even seeking proper guidance from herbalists and the like!!

Immune system problem my arse!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 5:20 pm

This website will publish just about any scientific article as long as it's not mainstream or peer-reviewed. Seriously. Look at the other articles they've put up.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 5:39 pm

Quote:
allergies are practically the reverse of having a "weak" immune system. Your immune system is going after something it doesn't need to be reacting too.

QFT

My son is rarely ever sick. The rise in allergies can be traced to people dragging along their hometown flora and fauna to places they don't belong. For instance, Arizona is a magnet for people with asthma and other ailments. They bring their New England, Midwestern and Californian trees, flowers and pets with them. As a result, we have magnified amounts of allergens here, on top of the indigenous cactii that some are already allergic to.
In Northern CA we had fruit trees (from Europe) that people are really allergic to. In Indianapolis it was cottonwood and maple. Here is it's elm, olive, fruit trees, grasses, you name it.

But Pop is rarely sick despite his allergies.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 6:32 pm

Wolfpup wrote:

Scientific studies have shown that autistics have a dysfunctional immune system. The Th1 part that fights viruses and fungal infections is weak. The Th2 part that's associated with autoimmunity and allergies is overactivated.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 6:44 pm

TLPG wrote:
Complete and utter garbage. Like so many other things - this is at best a placebo. This father is treating the symptoms, but he will NEVER get to the root condition. It's there for life.

This is dangerous quackery, and worst of all he's not even seeking proper guidance from herbalists and the like!!

Immune system problem my arse!

The ingredients he is using have already been shown to treat the root causes of autism symptoms (such as bacteria, viruses, fungal infections, and mercury). NONE of the ingredients merely treats symptoms. He did the research and uses what works. The treatment is likely very effective with little or no side effects. The ingredients are practically harmless. There is no reason not to try it (although it's probably cheaper to get the same ingredients elsewhere).

NOTE: This is not a pro-cure autism post. It's a refutation of a dishonest post. I don't mind people believing that autism is genetic or incurable but posting false information to convince others (likely due to a lack of scientific evidence) is wrong and I don't like it.

"this is at best a placebo" - WRONG. Some of the ingredients have already been shown effective.

"This father is treating the symptoms, but he will NEVER get to the root condition. It's there for life." WRONG. He did the research, as have I, and he is treating the root causes.

"This is dangerous quackery" WRONG. It's NOT dangerous. It's practically harmless. And it is definitely NOT quackery.

"Immune system problem my arse!" Immune system abnormalities in autism has already been proven. The scientific evidence is extensive.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:04 pm

Oil??? People b***h all the time about Big Pharma and you're gonna shill for the damned OIL companies???? What, making 45 bazquillion dollars in profit in a quarter isn't enough, so now we have oil for diseases.... here drink some light sweet crude for low blood sugar. There drink some kerosine for depression... how about some high octane gas as an energy drink???

That makes as much sense as prattling on forever about allergies/mercury/boojums/epsteinbarrvirus/zombies/molds/mindraysfromspace... gah

You want to know what will correct "autism" symptoms? Especially the "social" ones?

Bourbon. LOTS of freakin BOURBON. Makes more sense than shilling for Shell....

Oh and Liverbird, best of luck with the mission. You should recruit some help with that, marketing is really the key. Try a catchy slogan to get the idea across such as "Ditch the b***h"... maybe with a boombox with crosses floating out of it instead of music notes... Seriously, best of luck. One less christianist audio terrorist in the world is a good start.

"Sarcasm, just one more service we offer...." AspieDave Ltd. Franchises available

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:20 am

zendell wrote:
Wolfpup wrote:

Scientific studies have shown that autistics have a dysfunctional immune system. The Th1 part that fights viruses and fungal infections is weak. The Th2 part that's associated with autoimmunity and allergies is overactivated.

Then how come I don't get sick OR have severe allergies? (The worst I get in allergic reaction is some sinus problems when there's a ton of pollen outside...)

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:23 am

zendell wrote:
Wolfpup wrote:

Then how come I haven't gotten sick in years, apart from an insecticide-induced illness?

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar