Page 5 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 5:22 pm

In 1978 the sale of lead based paint was banned.... in 1996 the sale of leaded gasoline was banned.... Autism rates are rising... WOW!! ! Autism is caused by a lack of lead pollution in the environment!! ! Maybe we should introduce lead into the vaccines... prevent all those nasty autism diseases and make Jenny McCarthy shut the hell up....

:twisted:

Who wants to get in on the start of a NEW conspiracy theory?? Just step right in and repost that out to the conspiracy theory sites. Hmmm... maybe we should donate it to Autism Speaks, they can fund a $12 million study.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 6:04 pm

That's a hilarious conspiracy theory!

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 6:44 pm

zendell wrote:
Some doctors who practiced at the time stated that it wasn't until vaccines were introduced that cancer started becoming a problem.

And of course we should believe them and not the numerous pre-1940 documentation which discuss "cancer" and come up with the term "cancer."

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 5:50 am

AspieDave wrote:
In 1978 the sale of lead based paint was banned.... in 1996 the sale of leaded gasoline was banned.... Autism rates are rising... WOW!! ! Autism is caused by a lack of lead pollution in the environment!! ! Maybe we should introduce lead into the vaccines... prevent all those nasty autism diseases and make Jenny McCarthy shut the hell up....

Here's an addition! The Roman Empire collapsed because of LEAD POISONING in their water supply! That's why there wasn't any Autism around in that region - too much lead!

:twisted: :twisted:

(Good one, Dave! I like your style!)

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 5:53 am

TLPG wrote:
AspieDave wrote:

Here's an addition! The Roman Empire collapsed because of LEAD POISONING in their water supply! That's why there wasn't any Autism around in that region - too much lead!

Not even worth responding to since you two seem to have no desire for the truth.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 6:05 am

zendell wrote:
TLPG wrote:
AspieDave wrote:

Not even worth responding to since you two seem to have no desire for the truth.

No - that's you. Not us.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2008, 6:48 am

I doubt autism is caused by a weakened immune system. I'd say it's more likely that the weakened immune system is caused by autism. An autistic person is likely under constant stress, just from living in the world, and stress weakens the immune system. The resulting health problems could then make the person act more autistic, because the health problems will take energy, thus leaving less energy available for dealing with the world.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:16 pm

zendell wrote:
TLPG wrote:
AspieDave wrote:

yet, you could not resist responding. Look, I know you have put in a lot of effort and energy to form your views. I know you have invested time and learned about your subject. Dave and TLPG forget you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar ( and watch, they well ask me why I would want to catch flies, anyway! right guys. .you thought about it, didn't you but I beat you to it!)

but my point is. not everything has a bogeyman in the bushes, not everything is a conspiricy theory. You certainly have the right to your opinion, but when it misinforms people looking for hard scientific evidence, it becomes a community problem.

I am sure someone has pointed that out to you before, too. Hence the 'controversy' continues.

all the best,

Merle

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:34 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
zendell wrote:
TLPG wrote:
AspieDave wrote:

yet, you could not resist responding. Look, I know you have put in a lot of effort and energy to form your views. I know you have invested time and learned about your subject. Dave and TLPG forget you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar ( and watch, they well ask me why I would want to catch flies, anyway! right guys. .you thought about it, didn't you but I beat you to it!)

but my point is. not everything has a bogeyman in the bushes, not everything is a conspiricy theory. You certainly have the right to your opinion, but when it misinforms people looking for hard scientific evidence, it becomes a community problem.

I am sure someone has pointed that out to you before, too. Hence the 'controversy' continues.

all the best,

Merle

They are both talking about lead poisoning and making fun at the idea that it leads to autism. The problem is no one is claiming that lead poisoning is causing autism. I think they both know that it's mercury, not lead, that researchers are worried about. And the mercury thing is NOT a conspiracy. Mercury amalgams were used because gold was expensive and nothing else they tried worked as good. Thimerosal is used because it's a preservative. Same thing with lead. It made paint durable. I don't think they used it to purposely harm people but again no one claims it causes autism.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:38 pm

zendell wrote:
They are both talking about lead poisoning and making fun at the idea that it leads to autism. The problem is no one is claiming that lead poisoning is causing autism. I think they both know that it's mercury, not lead, that researchers are worried about. And the mercury thing is NOT a conspiracy. Mercury amalgams were used because gold was expensive and nothing else they tried worked as good. Thimerosal is used because it's a preservative. Same thing with lead. It made paint durable. I don't think they used it to purposely harm people but again no one claims it causes autism.

They're being ironic to illustrate the point about cancer.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 2:53 pm

zendell wrote:

Ah, but elemental mercury was widely used since at least the Middle Ages for all sorts of things, from making hats to rich people dipping their bare hands in it just for fun (for that matter I knew people that played with mercury as kids and no, they're not autistic) - yet the claim is that somehow it was only until modern vaccines that autism appeared, because of ethyl mercury (which unlike elemental mercury does not bioaccumulate, but that seems too subtle a point for conspiracy theorists). If it was mercury, then autism rates would be at historical lows.
Oh, and of course cancer wasn't such a problem before - people usually died of TB, diphteria, syphilis, tetanus, etc before they had time to die of cancer or heart disease. Anyone that knows anything about the hsitory of medicine and disease knows that.
Auto-immune diseases and allergies are partially genetic, so it is perfectly possible for any correlation between immune anomalies and autism (if such a correlation exists) to be genetic, as the evidence is that autism is mainly genetic. Stress and other environmental factors not related to vaccines may also play a role, as someone here has suggested.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 4:19 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
zendell wrote:

They're being ironic to illustrate the point about cancer.

Thank you, Wolfpup, you beat me to it - and I'll add that the sarcasm was in full bloom as well. We know full well what the true conspiracy is. Seems that Zendell can't take a joke.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 4:33 pm

Apparently Vulcans are not the only ones who find humor a difficult concept.

zendude I refer you to the collected works of Monty Python and Rowan Atkinson for a primer course. youtube.com is a good resource since I know you like doing research on the internet....

Once you have a solid grounding I would suggest moving on to more in depth works such as the collected works of Jonathan Swift. Please note, he was not SERIOUS about the English fattening up Irish babies and eating them. If you study hard, you will see the humor. I realize most American's have been deprived having been served a never ending diet of "Adam Sandler/Jim Carey/Ben Stiller" so called comedies. Most of those are more slapstick than actual comedy. Go back to the source material, watch the Monty Python, read some Terry Pratchett, or for more domestic consumption, dig up a copy of "Bored of the Rings" by Harvard Lampoon. If you try VERY hard, you will get the why they refer to the balrog from the original books as the "ballhog"...... "You Shall Not PASS!! !!"... think about it.

And yes, Merle, I responded. It amused me. I found it funny. Apparently some others did as well. I do not use honey to catch flys, I use a bugzapper. Some share my sense of humor, others don't, such is life. If I offend I'm sure I will hear of it. If I truly offend here I will go away and this place will be a trifle darker.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2008, 5:55 pm

You guys are pretty expressive of your own opinions, which have even less proof than him. "Everyone" is not a person, it's a generalization. Generalizations have no place as being valid arguments any more than "your mom" does.

You've had your says about Autism and what you believe about it; Let others share their thoughts.

Merle, Zendell has provided scientific evidence, and stated his opinion. Has Zendell told yo that you're mis-informing people, that what you believe is wrong? He has given his opinions, and you mock him for it, while you offer your opinions, and are not. Isn't that unfair?

How would you feel if you were being told that Autism being genetic is bogus, that there's no evidence to prove it, that anyone who thinks that it is must be a conspiracy theorist, that you're misinforming people with your opinion, that everyone thinks differently from you, and that you're wrong, wrong wrong.

If you are going to express opinions, you have to make allowances for dissenting views. Science never got anywhere by silencing all but one school of thought. Just look at what happened with the church and the world is flat. It stifled free thought, kept people in the dark, and was supported by people who weren't willing to see anything but what they wanted to see, people who were firm in their beliefs, and mocked and ridiculed any dissent. Why is it happening here?

Why do you react so strongly, and so negatively? How would you feel in that position, to not be judged on the veracity of your beliefs, but because others simply refuse to consider those beliefs seriously?

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 9:36 pm

Are you implying that Monty Python and Rowan Atkinson aren't funny? I think there's plenty of evidence they are.

Whatever, I'm turning off my light on the way out... it was a florescent so don't drop it and you know, loose the evil mercury upon a helpless world or anything....

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 11:54 pm

Joeker wrote:

Merle, Zendell has provided scientific evidence, and stated his opinion. Has Zendell told yo that you're mis-informing people, that what you believe is wrong? He has given his opinions, and you mock him for it, while you offer your opinions, and are not. Isn't that unfair?

?

please point out where I mocked. I would like to apologize for mocking. I do not mock intentionally.

thank you

Merle